Milner Through The Middle

Shak

Guest posadageordie

To think we almost sold Milner to Villa for 4m(?)

We should snap anyone's hands off who offer us 4m for Milner. He's the new Lee Hendrie, mediocre in the extreme, but willing and hardworking.

Guest NSMagpie

However, could this be a role which Milner might be better suited to? In a 4-5-1 you look for your wingers to be very pacey so they can get at the full-backs 1 on 1. I think Milner could be effective in one of those roles, probably on the left as it happens due to his lack of pace and how good a shot he has cutting inside.

But he may be better through the middle. He's direct, can run at defences and has an ever improving shot. With a role in the middle you can definitely see him hitting double figures for goals.

His first touch is good and he's quite a smart player as well so it could definitely be an option.

Or should we leave him on the wings?

He has excellent control of the ball, and good passing, but obviously lacks pace. On the other hand, he's physically strong, so should be able to survive all the tackles, pushing and shoving players in the middle get.

IMHO, should get a chnce in the middle, as that's where we're paper-thin with Emre out of insipiration & form.

@ GeJon Yes, Milner can beat his man, but that usually ends up with crosses, not with charges into the penalty area or to the middle. That's the difference between him and N'Zog, for instance.

We should snap anyone's hands off who offer us 4m for Milner. He's the new Lee Hendrie, mediocre in the extreme, but willing and hardworking.

Bollocks.

However, could this be a role which Milner might be better suited to? In a 4-5-1 you look for your wingers to be very pacey so they can get at the full-backs 1 on 1. I think Milner could be effective in one of those roles, probably on the left as it happens due to his lack of pace and how good a shot he has cutting inside.

But he may be better through the middle. He's direct, can run at defences and has an ever improving shot. With a role in the middle you can definitely see him hitting double figures for goals.

His first touch is good and he's quite a smart player as well so it could definitely be an option.

He has excellent control of the ball, and good passing, but obviously lacks pace. On the other hand, he's physically strong, so should be able to survive all the tackles, pushing and shoving players in the middle get.

IMHO, should get a chnce in the middle, as that's where we're paper-thin with Emre out of insipiration & form.

@ GeJon Yes, Milner can beat his man, but that usually ends up with crosses, not with charges into the penalty area or to the middle. That's the difference between him and N'Zog, for instance.

This season N'Zogbia has beaten his man then run into the next man, tbf.

Guest NSMagpie

His technique is incomparably better than Hendrie's, can do anything with the ball, natural footballer.

Milner also has great crosses and feels the game. Unfortunately, I don't see that we've got a tall, dominating centre-forward to head all these crosses to net. Milner's hard work is just an advantage. His Achilles' heel is his speed, not his talent.

Guest NSMagpie

This season N'Zogbia was injured for a long time, than benched for a long time, and then sometimes played out of his natural position.

And, yes, there's something else- he's French.

This season N'Zogbia was injured for a long time, than benched for a long time, and then sometimes played out of his natural position.

And, yes, there's something else- he's French.

Still often run into players but he is wonderboy so nothing bad can be said about him I suppose..

Guest NSMagpie

GeJon, if I were an admin, I would have written a rule strictly prohibitting any negative opinions on N'Zog.  ;D

And who would you play on the right? And for fucks sake, don't say Dyer, you don't want to seem like an absolute cretin.

You are looking for bites lets be honest.

Milner has been our player of the season.

Guest geordiebaz

Presuming Allardyce gets the job (which isn't by any means near certain) I would imagine that more often than not we'll be utilising the 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation.

Losing Owen looks more and more likely, he's only got two years left on his deal and we'll be losing him for nothing then, so I'd assume we'll be looking at spending the money we get from him on a focal point for our attack, ala Drogba or Kevin Davies.

After that, it'll be key we get someone to play in the hole just off our target man, as Lampard does at Chelsea.

I honestly think with those formations you may see Luque back involved and Sam could be the man to get best out of him