Jealousy and Bitterness

Stevie

The one thing I would disagree with Stevie on is his belief that Spurs etc are jealous of Owen playing for Newcastle.  The vast majority of Spurs fans I know would be delighted to have Owen at Spurs just as most Newcastle fans would be happy to see Berbatov at SJP, but that doesn't constitute jealousy on the fans' part that he isn't.  I would accept that the media get frustrated that Michael Owen doesn't play for Man Utd or Chelsea.  It would make a better and easier story for them if he did.

Yes, but you're missing the point.  Berbatov wasn't a world star he signed for you and probably still isn't, Owen was when he signed for us, the point I was making was Spurs don't have the capacity to go out and buy world stars, unless they're finished like Klinsmann.

The point of his article aside, I can't believe this guy is a professional writer. The grammar is horrible.  ;D

Just because he's not a Canadian who went to Harvard University, it doesn't mean his article isn't absolutely spot on.

s****, a double negative, I suppose you'll tell me off for that as well.

What you said makes perfect sense. I.e. it does not mean it is not spot on. It's only incorrect if you say something like: "Don't have none" when you mean "Don't have any". I hope that clears things up ;)

It makes sense, but is also grammatically incorrect.

I think it's ok grammatically tbh. I'm no expert though.

You can't have a double negative in one sentence.  Like "you can't say I didn't tell you".

Guest alex

I can't understand why what you originally said is not gramatically correct. See what I did there? ;) Isn't that just some 'rule' teachers use to simplify English though. Like not being able to start a sentence with 'but' or 'and' (also not true I think). I'd be quite interested for someone to explain why it's not allowed though. I can never really get my head round grammar tbh.

I can't understand why what you originally said is not gramatically correct. See what I did there? ;) Isn't that just some 'rule' teachers use to simplify English though. Like not being able to start a sentence with 'but' or 'and' (also not true I think). I'd be quite interested for someone to explain why it's not allowed though. I can never really get my head round grammar tbh.

English degree wasnt it?

Guest alex

English degree wasnt it?

Yes :lol:

English degree wasnt it?

Don't really teach grammar at degree level. :lol:

English degree wasnt it?

Not properly anyway  :lol:

Guest alex

English degree wasnt it?

Not properly anyway  :lol:

In fairness to my lecturers, I think it was more a case of me not learning it than them not teaching it.

I think it's true that we're not that popular around the rest of the country, or rather that other supporters are quite happy for us to continue to fail.

I'm not sure of the reason why. It may be down to that old term Schadenfreude. Watching us come so close to the dream in 1996, only to see us crumble would have given many of the 'neutrals' a kind of guilty thrill. They now want to see more of the same.

When Newcastle win a trophy there will be a lot of fans who are happy for us and feel we deserve it.

Drinking in pubs, talking to fans from around the country, thats how to assess opinion. Not journalists and internet sites. Never had a problem personally with anyone wanting to see us fail because 'we think we're part of the premier elite when we havent won a trophy for 38 years' as Phil Mcnulty said AGAIN today on the BBC.

Journalists are meant to report events, when they express opinions, those opinions are no more valid than some pre-pubescent internet WUM from Spurs (Kingdawson for example).

The likes of Tottenham, Villa, Everton, Man City etc.. are jealous and kuffaw at the idea of Owen playing for Newcastle, and the key reason for that is, nobody of his current stature would ever sign for their clubs.  The top four, come out with things like he only came for the money, of course he did but at least we had the ambition and resources to do it, so where's the problem. 

See, I was nodding my head with the original post, and agreeing then you go and spoil it. Personally I don't think it was just the money that saw him go to Newcastle, it was also the desperate need to get some Premiership football in the World Cup year, wherever he could get it.

If he fucks off over the summer (and personally, i hope he doesn't, and if the lad has any conscience, he won't) then all the stuff you mentioned above is going to leave you with a bit of egg on your face, isn't it?