Fantastic article in the NOTW by Martin Samuel.

Optimistic Nut

..of all places! It's not online, but I've typed it all out, it's that worthy of a read.

Dimitar Berbatov has had a cracking season and should go to Manchester United.

Roy Keane's transformation of Sunderland is merely an apprenticeship for an Old Trafford move.

Micah Richards must abandon Manchester City for Chelsea's reserves - to be joined by Reading captain Steve Sidwell - while each day Michael Owen continues to spend at Newcastle United, or Benni McCarthy at Blackburn Rovers, is wasted.

And then, when we have successfully shifted every ounce of talent to the same two clubs we will wring our hands and ask why our Premiership is so uncompetitive.

Berbatov holds the key this summer. If he is allowed to tread the same path as Michael Carrick from north London to Manchester, we may as well put the "house full" signs up around the Champions League places.

Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal - that is the way it is always going to be.

No point in striving to improve, no worth in ambition. We lie in our bed furthermore.

If a player whose club finishes fifth for the second season in succession is said to be wasting his time, there truly is no hope for change.

Tottenham are on the brink. Had the club not sold Carrick to United a year ago, they could have moved ahead of Arsenal already. Next year, if key players are added to Martin Jol's squad, this may happen. There is hope of a £250m buy-out and major investment from America.

Yet speculation takes place amidst the presumption that Berbatov has to look to Old Trafford to have a hope of success in English football.

The same with Owen, McCarthy, Sidwell, Richards, Tevez - even Keane.

Having revived Sunderland (24,337 saw them lose at home to Plymouth on August 12 and 44,448 watched the final home game against Burnley on April 27), it is now presumed he is on a beginners course that will end with graduation at Old Trafford.

Yet Sunderland are a big club. Not the biggest, but still one with a grand history and fanbase that would stand tall in any league in Europe. Why should Keane not believe he can make his mark there? Why should every career choice be a stepping stone to United? Tottenham, Sunderland, Everton, Manchester City, Newcastle, West Ham, Blackburn: these are good places to be.

But the crushing financial force of the Champions League has, in our minds, relegated them to football's hinterland.

Instead of fighting back, we pander further by treating the gap between the elite and the contenders as if it is a chasm and not, as last season, two points.

With clubs targeted by serious investors abroad, traditional supremacies may be challenged.

In this climate, our Premiership should become more competitive. What keeps it unhealthy is our resistance to change, built on the presumption that United deserve 22 great players, and Spurs none.

It's a good piece written by a journo that I have very little time for most of the time, but this time he has got it spot on.  If the team that has finished 5th for the past 2 seasons sells off its star attraction, it would be admitting defeat in the chase to break into the top 4.

With Hargreaves on his way for £17m, Man Utd wouldn't appear to be likely bidders.  Juventus might wish to test Levy again, they offered €40m late last week and got sorry, not for sale.  I've said before that Levy is adamant that he won't sell Berba at any price, whether he says the same about Chimbonda to Chelsea is more debateable.

It's a good piece written by a journo that I have very little time for most of the time, but this time he has got it spot on.  If the team that has finished 5th for the past 2 seasons sells off its star attraction, it would be admitting defeat in the chase to break into the top 4.

With Hargreaves on his way for £17m, Man Utd wouldn't appear to be likely bidders.  Juventus might wish to test Levy again, they offered €40m late last week and got sorry, not for sale.  I've said before that Levy is adamant that he won't sell Berba at any price, whether he says the same about Chimbonda to Chelsea is more debateable.

Come on, if silly money is offered - he'll be off. We all know this. EVERY player in every team has his price. If Chelsea offered, for arguments sake £26m, could any chairman turn it down?

transfer market getting silly again.

British - wise, chelsea started it. Carrick and Hargreaves are both good players, but 17m and 18m quid is daft for players like that, what price Tevez as well as Berbatov ?

One things for sure, Newcastle can't pay money like this, and we are one of the next biggest spenders, which only shows that manu and chelsea are truly in a market of their own

With Hargreaves on his way for £17m, Man Utd wouldn't appear to be likely bidders.   Juventus might wish to test Levy again, they offered 40m late last week and got sorry, not for sale.  I've said before that Levy is adamant that he won't sell Berba at any price, whether he says the same about Chimbonda to Chelsea is more debateable.

Come on, if silly money is offered - he'll be off. We all know this. EVERY player in every team has his price. If Chelsea offered, for arguments sake £26m, could any chairman turn it down?

Yes. Any chairman wanting to get his club into the big four is going to have to do that at some point.

It would be good for football if Spurs did turn down stupid money for Berbatov, otherwise nothing ever is going to change.  Other than my own club, I personally don't care which club does it, but someone needs to breach the big four at some point soon, it can only be good for the game.

Witness the crushing predictability and national non-interest in the cup final yesterday, for example.

Midds, that's what the article is about. If he has ambition, he'll tell Man U to f*ck off no matter what the price.

true, but things have changed since the Bosman rule. At what stage does it become good business to sell players for silly money ?

Midds, that's what the article is about. If he has ambition, he'll tell Man U to f*ck off no matter what the price.

That's my point. If someone comes in with big money, he'll be sold regardless of whether he likes it or not.

Money used to talk. Now it screams the place down.

Guest gggg

true, but things have changed since the Bosman rule. At what stage does it become good business to sell players for silly money ?

When you need the money? Spurs dont need any money as far as im aware and seeing as you get 40 million for a mid table finish next season selling their star player for 26m wouldbe pointless.

If you can sign a better player for less than what you sold the player for...and do you think Spurs could attract a better player than Berbatov?

With Hargreaves on his way for £17m, Man Utd wouldn't appear to be likely bidders.   Juventus might wish to test Levy again, they offered 40m late last week and got sorry, not for sale.  I've said before that Levy is adamant that he won't sell Berba at any price, whether he says the same about Chimbonda to Chelsea is more debateable.

Well, the €40m offered by Juve is roughly £26.7m and that was turned down.  He's not worth it but I stick with my statement in an earlier thread that I don't think Levy would even remotely consider selling Berbatov for less than £30m, probably £35m.  He gives Spurs the best chance to break into the top 4, not because he can do it on his own but by keeping him, other players who might have thought about only the top 4 when moving may now consider a 5th option.

Well, the €40m offered by Juve is roughly £26.7m and that was turned down.  He's not worth it but I stick with my statement in an earlier thread that I don't think Levy would even remotely consider selling Berbatov for less than £30m, probably £35m.  He gives Spurs the best chance to break into the top 4, not because he can do it on his own but by keeping him, other players who might have thought about only the top 4 when moving may now consider a 5th option.

OK then! Just to be pedantic what about £36m? My point is that every player has a certain amount that can not be turned down and if the buying club keep coming back with more money, eventually a bid is going to be accepted. The wishes/ambition of the player become irrelevant.

If you can sign a better player for less than what you sold the player for...and do you think Spurs could attract a better player than Berbatov?

in theory yes, if you can, but it would be very difficult if nearly impossible. You don't sell your best players, but look at the position we are in regarding Owen, he's a free agent in 18 months if we can't get him to extend, and the way things are going he could be off for nothing having started less than 100 games in 4 years, and only then if he isn't injured again.

It only really shows that ManU and Chelsea are in a league of their own because they are the only clubs who can afford to write off such money like this

That's my point. If someone comes in with big money, he'll be sold regardless of whether he likes it or not.

When there are 2 years remaining on his contract and the player says he won't renew.  That's what Carrick said and he went.  Defoe is now saying it and he will go the same way, but not necessarily to the same club.  Credit to both of them though for being honest, enabling the club to get the maximum possible transfer fee for them.

When there are 2 years remaining on his contract and the player says he won't renew.  That's what Carrick said and he went.  Defoe is now saying it and he will go the same way, but not necessarily to the same club.  Credit to both of them though for being honest, enabling the club to get the maximum possible transfer fee for them.

I reluctantly agree, which is the position we are in ref Owen, and why I made the comment above which is the same as the one I made last week

Well, the 40m offered by Juve is roughly £26.7m and that was turned down.  He's not worth it but I stick with my statement in an earlier thread that I don't think Levy would even remotely consider selling Berbatov for less than £30m, probably £35m.  He gives Spurs the best chance to break into the top 4, not because he can do it on his own but by keeping him, other players who might have thought about only the top 4 when moving may now consider a 5th option.

OK then! Just to be pedantic what about £36m? My point is that every player has a certain amount that can not be turned down and if the buying club keep coming back with more money, eventually a bid is going to be accepted. The wishes/ambition of the player become irrelevant.

Berba has publicly said he is happy at Spurs, I don't think Levy would sell him at any price with the player's own words ready to be thrown back at him should he be sold against his wishes.  Negotiations are very nearly complete for an extended contract taking him up to 2013 and doubling his money.  But as, currently, he is only on £22k pw he could still earn far more elsewhere.

I reluctantly agree, which is the position we are in ref Owen, and why I made the comment above which is the same as the one I made last week

The problem you have with Owen is that you also have a punative clause which is holding his price down to the detriment of the club.

Berba has publicly said he is happy at Spurs, I don't think Levy would sell him at any price with the player's own words ready to be thrown back at him should he be sold against his wishes.  Negotiations are very nearly complete for an extended contract taking him up to 2013 and doubling his money.  But as, currently, he is only on £22k pw he could still earn far more elsewhere.

Find it hard to believe he wouldn't be sold for 'any price' but I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what happens in the next couple of years.  :thup:

How long does Berbatov have on his contract? If it's 3 years and these clubs are still interested next year Spurs will probably be forced to sell.

I was told he signed a 3 year contract with an option (on Spurs' part) to extend for a further 2 years.  Others say it was a straight 4 year deal, so I don't know which is correct.

Well, the 40m offered by Juve is roughly £26.7m and that was turned down.  He's not worth it but I stick with my statement in an earlier thread that I don't think Levy would even remotely consider selling Berbatov for less than £30m, probably £35m.  He gives Spurs the best chance to break into the top 4, not because he can do it on his own but by keeping him, other players who might have thought about only the top 4 when moving may now consider a 5th option.

Find it hard to believe he wouldn't be sold for 'any price' but I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what happens in the next couple of years.  :thup:

When Newcastle got close to the Premiership under KK, how much would they have sold Shearer for?  The answer would have been 'not for sale' no matter what figure was thrown at Newcastle......... and rightly so imo.

With Hargreaves on his way for £17m, Man Utd wouldn't appear to be likely bidders.   Juventus might wish to test Levy again, they offered €40m late last week and got sorry, not for sale.  I've said before that Levy is adamant that he won't sell Berba at any price, whether he says the same about Chimbonda to Chelsea is more debateable.

When Newcastle got close to the Premiership under KK, how much would they have sold Shearer for?   The answer would have been 'not for sale' no matter what figure was thrown at Newcastle......... and rightly so imo.

true, but equally vitally, Shearer would not have wanted to go anywhere

When Newcastle got close to the Premiership under KK, how much would they have sold Shearer for?  The answer would have been 'not for sale' no matter what figure was thrown at Newcastle......... and rightly so imo.

It would have been 'not for sale' but more because we didn't own him at that point. :razz: