Sky Sports News - Owen's agent touting him round the "big four" ?

Guest thenorthumbrian

Guest Invicta_Toon

if talk of owen leaving has the same effect it had on Liverpool he can leave now :)

more accurately

Guest nyscooby

Is there a link anywhere that shows quotes from FFS saying there is a clause in his contract???

If not then it is just press bollox as always.

Link us the proof, please!!

Guest DavB93

Is there a link anywhere that shows quotes from FFS saying there is a clause in his contract???

I'm sure in the YouTube clip of Freddy with the guys from KopTalk (Or which ever site they were from) he says there isn't a clause. Can't imagine Freddy been daft enough to put a clause like that in.

Guest johnson293

This is the report on BBC website from Owens signing.

Shepherd repsonds to the reports of a clause allowing Owen to leave after one year, but admits to other (unspecified) clauses being in his contract.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/4200808.stm

Reports said Owen has a clause allowing him to leave after a year, but Magpies chairman Freddy Shepherd denies this.

"I have heard a little rumour that Michael has a clause in his contract which states he can leave Newcastle United in one year's time," he said.

"I can tell you now that he hasn't. Of course Michael has clauses in his contract.

"In this day and age, all top players do - Alan Shearer does. But that is not one of them.

So far though, there has been no official confirmation or denial from any party of the existence of a release clause relating to a specific figure (9, 11 or 12m), or lack of european football, or a combination of both.

It could all be press speculation, but if it was, why not just come out and deny it once and for all.

As other say, no smoke without fire!

Guest alex

Bizarre logic. His silence on the matter proves nothing either way.

None of the Big 4 want him, that i can believe. I guess he doesnt wonna move abroad again, so Michael you are stuck here with us, just like you had basically no choice but to join us!

Guest johnson293

Todays Independent is going with the alleged Arsenal interest....

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/premiership/article2573248.ece

Emmanuel Adebayor has signed a new long-term deal at Arsenal as speculation continues to link the club with a move for Newcastle United's Michael Owen. The Togo striker has established himself as a regular after arriving at the club in the 2006 January transfer window. The length of Adebayor's new contract was not disclosed but the deal comes after renewed speculation that Owen could be bound for the Emirates.

The Arsenal manager, Arsène Wenger, is expected to watch Owen play for England B against Albania on Friday, and if the Newcastle striker features for England against Brazil in the first senior international at the new Wembley on 1 June, and also against Estonia, in the European Championship qualifier in Tallinn on 6 June.

Owen's chances of moving to the champions, Manchester United, are understood to have evaporated because of the combination of his £5m-a-year wages and doubts over the striker's fitness.

MJ

Guest Ridzuan

First it was Manchester United then now Arsenal.Havnt heard of Liverpool wanting him back or Chelsea expressing an interest in him.My stand on him is if he doesnt want to play for us,then he should go,but if he wants,and his agents his trying to do the dirty works behind his back,then I hope he stays.

Todays Independent is going with the alleged Arsenal interest....

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/premiership/article2573248.ece

Emmanuel Adebayor has signed a new long-term deal at Arsenal as speculation continues to link the club with a move for Newcastle United's Michael Owen. The Togo striker has established himself as a regular after arriving at the club in the 2006 January transfer window. The length of Adebayor's new contract was not disclosed but the deal comes after renewed speculation that Owen could be bound for the Emirates.

The Arsenal manager, Arsène Wenger, is expected to watch Owen play for England B against Albania on Friday, and if the Newcastle striker features for England against Brazil in the first senior international at the new Wembley on 1 June, and also against Estonia, in the European Championship qualifier in Tallinn on 6 June.

Owen's chances of moving to the champions, Manchester United, are understood to have evaporated because of the combination of his £5m-a-year wages and doubts over the striker's fitness.

MJ

If Man Utd can't (or won't) pay his wages I can't see Arsenal doing so - don't they have a fairly strict wage structure they've only broken rarely and in exceptional circumstances (specifically the Bosman signing of Campbell and keeping Henry in London?)

OK, few things on this Owen saga:

1. With the Euro 2008 tournament beckoning, he'll be wanting to play in Europe.

2. At 27, his agents will be reckoning right now he's probably got one more big money move in him. They hold the reins of power and if they see that money talks, then Owen walks.

3. If a big 4 club does come in for Owen, his reputed £115,000-a-week salary would be something he'd more than likely sacrifice. He's only on that money because that's what Shepherd had to pay him to get him to sign. He'd have stayed at Madrid otherwise, and waited for his dream return to Liverpool to materialise.

4. Even if Sam's been able to convince Owen that his plans for the club are right in theory, Owen is savvy enough to know that it'll take time before NUFC is back contending for regular UEFA/CL competition. He wants it now.

5. For his salary, we could probably get two or three alternative prospects. OK, they won't have the same marketability for merchandising purposes, they won't have the same star appeal, but we need to be realistic about where exactly we are now.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/6641411.stm

"This report was a very thinly-disguised attempt to flog Owen from under our feet, sourced very close to the player or those who look after him. The information must have come from there, not from our club."

If the information Shepherd speaks about isn't the existence of a release clause then what is it?

Anyone who still doesn't believe there is a release clause is either incredibly naive or incredibly stupid.

Guest alex

Far more of a mercenary than Anelka is. Difference is he engineers his moves smartly and not in public.

Don't see how you can justify that statement. He's had two moves in his entire professional career.

I will be glad when this is all over!

thats why i wouldnt mind selling him, im sick of this already and we are going to have it every transfer window!

As said in the other Owen thread, if he doesn't agree to at least another year on his contract then sell him. We will be f*cked if he doesn't agree an extension and is still here next summer.

Guest alex

Someone else mentioned it before but I reckon a January move to a Champions League club is a good bet.

Someone else mentioned it before but I reckon a January move to a Champions League club is a good bet.

But then we would have to replace him in January which is never easy.

Guest NUFC.SG

I cant be @rsed with him anymore, flogg him and tie his agent to the train tracks.

Agreed, he is a Liverpool red thru & thru and i cant believe he has been so quiet since all this kicked off. That alone speaks volumes.

He has to come out now, stress his commitment, score 30 for us next season, then i'll still have respect for him. Else, he can sling his hook asap. Its a pity, buts the way it should be.

Guest alex

Depends on a lot of things obviously but I could see us being safe with nowt to play for by then.

Far more of a mercenary than Anelka is. Difference is he engineers his moves smartly and not in public.

Don't see how you can justify that statement. He's had two moves in his entire professional career.

And one of them he didn't want. ;)

Guest eltsacwen

At least Owen will not be cup-tied in Europe this season, so a january-sale is possible.

Depends on a lot of things obviously but I could see us being safe with nowt to play for by then.

Not with Super Sam Allardyce at the helm!

At least Owen will not be cup-tied in Europe this season, so a january-sale is possible.

Ah, that is indeed a very important point - not ideal for us because as GeJon said signing players in January is never easy, but he will certainly be one of the hottest properties in Europe for top clubs needing to add to their attacks...