Is Big Sam still the right man for the job?

Keefaz
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

we can only judge SA on this transfer budget (if he gets one in time) and the players performances I would rather wait to call for his head when the next season is over or at the very least xmas. We know the guys back ground and we can sort of guess his game plan (tactics that are thought out, scouting system, individual analysis and coaching, spotting a good player when he see's one)

as many have said at this point in time thinking about who is available he is still the best for now......

How is everyone's faith in Allardyce holding up after the news about Ashley's takeover bid? I know a lot of people think SA's just the type of fella we needed to help put 'structures' in place, get us organised and bring the best out of cheaper signings, but is he the type of manager who'd you trust with--potentially--tens of millions of pounds and the superstar egos these signings can bring?

The reservation I've always had over Allardyce is whethere or not he can operate under an increased level of expectation. Well it looks like that expectation is going through the roof.

We'll see how he handles all this money. He's had one big signing in his whole managerial career, and although it came off, it's still only ONE. That was the major worry I had with Sam, the fact that he has no experience spending a shit load of money. Now with the takeover, this 'fault' of his will sharply be put into focus. And it was obvious that Ashley would only give him one season man. I mentioned this before as well, but there's no way a guy spends £133m and then worries about spending an extra £5m or so to change the man who'll lead his team. Sam has one season, and I really hope he's successful.

:idiot2:

Err, his track record isn't as good as previous managers who were backed to the hilt but who ultimately didn't bring the club a trohpy.

Which proves that people shouldn't be so blinkered and just look at what trophies a manager has won.

:idiot2:

Err, his track record isn't as good as previous managers who were backed to the hilt but who ultimately didn't bring the club a trohpy.

Its just it seemed so obvious he was the perfect man to sort out the dressing room & structure of the club, perfect timing, & I dont see how Mike Ashley changes that. The way he is so detailed with his preparation, covers absolutely everything and is known for his man management. Its what weve been crying out for, someone who leaves no stone unturned and makes sure the players have no excuses not to play to their standard.

Didnt Allardyce say that one of the reasons for coming to Newcastle was that he would have the resources and spending power that he never had at Bolton ( or words to that effect )

If so then the Ashley thing should only inspire him more. If, as we hope, he get extra spending money, Allardyce is going to have everything he dreamed of and hopefully should spur him on.

DEFINITELY still the right man for the job.

Guest Knightrider

He also once said: "Give me Mourinho's resources and I'd win the league with Bolton"

Last season for the majority of it Bolton were fighting for 4th place, that's on a budget of zero effectively with a squad that cost less than Owen to build. Now after a few years of getting the foundations laid and sorting the squad out, with big money to spend on top of all that, I see no reason why we can't challenge for the title under him. We need to be very patient though, regardless of investment from Ashley.

He also once said: "Give me Mourinho's resources and I'd win the league with Bolton"

Last season for the majority of it Bolton were fighting for 4th place, that's on a budget of zero effectively with a squad that cost less than Owen to build. Now after a few years of getting the foundations laid and sorting the squad out, with big money to spend on top of all that, I see no reason why we can't challenge for the title under him. We need to be very patient though, regardless of investment from Ashley.

:thup:

The reservation I've always had over Allardyce is whethere or not he can operate under an increased level of expectation. Well it looks like that expectation is going through the roof.

Next season going to verify wether he's got a dodgy ticker if you ask me.

Going out on a whim here, but i beleive that in light of the Ashley business, SA might no longer be the right man, for the job. For me, SA is the right man 3 years too  late. If the takeover does occur and Ashley is Abrahamovic-esque then the focus for the manager automatically changes from rebuilding the club to achieving substantial success. There is no question about this, for me, while SA is a very good premiership manager, from what i have seen at bolton i dont belive he will be the type of manager that could sustain us in the CL. Something which i belive that Ashely will eventually demand. Now obvioulsy this is based on absolute specualtion,I think that Ashley will look to bring in a high profile manager, a world class one which i think that we will now be able to attract. If man city have managers like Co Adriaanse, Juande Ramos, Sven, Houllier etc.....then what would we have available?? I honeslty belive that if the takeover occurs this summer and Ashley takes full control, as sad as it seems but if SA doesn't achieve 5th at the ABSOLUTE lowest, then he will be out fo the job. The reason for this being that Ashley wont look to build this club gradulally like SA would do, but he would need to acheive reasonable success which can be sustained and improved on in order to launch nufc into a global brand the only way to do this is to win.

I think it would be tragic if Ashley did look to off-load SA and bring in some high profile manager.

I think most fans are looking forward to SA, steadying the ship and finally bringing some structure and organisation to the club which it has so desperately needed.

I would hate the idea of Ashley just throwing money at the problem in the hope that that a high progfile manager would bring some success. At this point in time, we dont need that. Spending money like water has got us nowhere over recent years... we need to hope Ashley understands the need for steady progress.

How is everyone's faith in Allardyce holding up after the news about Ashley's takeover bid? I know a lot of people think SA's just the type of fella we needed to help put 'structures' in place, get us organised and bring the best out of cheaper signings, but is he the type of manager who'd you trust with--potentially--tens of millions of pounds and the superstar egos these signings can bring?

Yes.

He was the right man last year when we appointed Roeder.

If he can get cheap players playing well, im sure he can get decent performances out of expensive players.

Its just big egos I aint sure he can handle.

Guest Durham_Wanderer

Jesus christ you guys arent against the big man already are you!? If the expectation is that you need to finish in europe next season then cant see him lasting long, he took a long time to get our team the way he wanted it. If you want Sam to be successful he'll need at least 2/3 years to mould you into what he wants.

By the way 1st post so should say Im a Bolton fan living in the NE (for uni). Not a massive fan of your team but just thought Id come and see what you all thought about nickin Sam off us!!

Jesus christ you guys arent against the big man already are you!? If the expectation is that you need to finish in europe next season then cant see him lasting long, he took a long time to get our team the way he wanted it. If you want Sam to be successful he'll need at least 2/3 years to mould you into what he wants.

By the way 1st post so should say Im a Bolton fan living in the NE (for uni). Not a massive fan of your team but just thought Id come and see what you all thought about nickin Sam off us!!

The majority of fans will be on his side, I just worry about the people that will get on his back as soon as someone missplaces a pass.

Guest Durham_Wanderer

The majority of fans will be on his side, I just worry about the people that will get on his back as soon as someone missplaces a pass.

I think the problem for sam with joining newcastle is that you crave instant success and he isnt the kinda guy who will give that. His first 2 seasons in charge of us weren't great, we were very lucky IMO to get promoted however after that he really came into his own up until the end of 2005. Given time I think he will do an ok job with you but I'd be very suprised if you finish higher than 10th next season

I think the problem for sam with joining newcastle is that you crave instant success and he isnt the kinda guy who will give that. His first 2 seasons in charge of us weren't great, we were very lucky IMO to get promoted however after that he really came into his own up until the end of 2005. Given time I think he will do an ok job with you but I'd be very suprised if you finish higher than 10th next season

Aslong as we are going in the right direction.

Yes.

He was the right man last year when we appointed Roeder.

If he can get cheap players playing well, im sure he can get decent performances out of expensive players.

Its just big egos I aint sure he can handle.

Hasn't had any problems with big egos so far in his career.

SA will get a fair chance to prove he is the right man for the job. He will probably get moore funds than he thought he would and that must be great news to him. Lets hope he makes the right decissions and makes us a top club again. If he doesent make us better he surely has to go though.

Guest Knightrider

I think the problem for sam with joining newcastle is that you crave instant success

Myth.

We don't crave instant success, we crave success of course as all fans do, but instant? Bollocks.

We didn't nick him from you. He left Bolton because he'd dragged your club about as far as it was capable of going. We then snapped him up when he was a free agent.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Of course he doesn't do instant success, at Bolton he had time to change everything, I guarantee not one person at that club wasn't his own personal choice.

Now you have to ask yourself is a top-flight Premiership manager afforded that liberty?

Guest Knightrider

Now you have to ask yourself is a top-flight Premiership manager afforded that liberty?

Aye, except at Newcastle...