Roman: The wallet's closed

GeordieDazzler

He's cutting them loose a bit sooner than I expected, but it was always bound to come to this point eventually.

I reckon he had this swashbuckling dream, and then found he'd spent a fortune to end up with cautious Mourinho-type football, and then realised you didn't necessarily win the Champions League even playing like that. So it's not as much fun as he thought it might be, unlike cruising around on some big fuck-off ship full of servants with his latest supermodel wife.

There has been a lot said about the Chelsea owner possibly putting the squeeze on Mourinho as far as transfer funds are concerned.

The keenness to turn Chelsea FC into a viable business, like other big clubs, is said to be at the heart of the decision, and it is largely believed that there will be no big signings this week unless there are big sales.

"This is utter nonsense," he said on Russian radio, rubbishing the suggestions. "Everything will be the same.

"My relationship with Chelsea FC has not changed at all, and I would not want to change anything either."

It is understood that after completing the signing of Steve Sidwell on a free transfer, Mourinho wants to sign three more players, a centre-half, a right-back, and a striker who can complement Drogba.

The names of Alex, Jorge Andrade and Tal Ben Haim have been doing the rounds for the centre-half spot, while Micah Richards and David Villa supposedly the favourites for the other two.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/6866310

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=315861

The revenue they're getting from sponsorship deals, merchandising and all puts them in a different league to us. They will become 'self-sufficient' if they can stop spending £30m on one player, which they will because the team is filled with class players. That's the biggest factor going for them. They don't need to blow their budget out of the water anymore. They're covered in every position, and continuing to poach some of the top youngsters in the world. Didn't they poach a kid from Arsenal about a month or two ago?? It's not like the first couple of years of the Roman era where they had to spend £50m+ in the summer to be able to compete next year. If they spend nothing this summer, absolutely f*** all, they're still one of the favourites for the title.

With regards to building a new stadium, even if Abramovich doesn't chip in (very unlikely), I'm sure it's possible to finance it through season ticket sales and what-not (or do an Arsenal and get £150m for the naming rights of the stadium for 10 years - fantastic deal btw, one of the smartest deals I've seen in football), just like how SJP was developed. It is possible. I'm also very sure Kenyon will know the fact that a massive stadium would elevate their revenue streams into Manyoo's league, which is why it's going to happen sooner rather than later.

Alright, I'm going to throw numbers around willy-nilly and see if we can make some sense. How much did The Emirates Stadium cost? £300m? Assume it'll also take roughly £300m for Chelsea to purchase a nice piece of land and build a 50000+ seater stadium. Do an Arsenal with the naming rights, and that covers half the cost. They can probably finance up to about £100m (just making a guess) through future season-ticket sales. All that's left is £50m, which I'm pretty sure can be found from the other sources of revenue that they have (whether it's their £12m/year shirt sponsorship or whatever). All those numbers are just random guesses, but to me, it seems as if it won't cost that much for Chelsea to push themselves into Real's and Manyoo's league. And all this with the assumption that Abramovich actually does nothing.

have you any idea how much that land at the Bridge is worth?

I think the whole site is about 0.75 sq km - that's about £ 8 BILLION at C. London prices - and the council and the neighbours HATE the football ground so planning permission would be a breeze.  It's the biggest underdeveloped site (other than Buck House) for miles

I always thought ol' Roman was making an investment as well as indulging his hobby when he rolled up in london

I see Abramovitch has said this story is total bollocks now............ from the beeb

Abramovich hints at more spending 

Abramovich has spent nearly £250m at Stamford Bridge

Chelsea's billionaire owner Roman Abramovich has dismissed reports that he will no longer spend heavily to bring players to Stamford Bridge.

Recent newspaper reports have suggested that Abramovich, who took over at Chelsea in 2003, would be spending less in the transfer market in future years.

But he told radio station Ekho Moskvy that such claims were "nonsense".

He added: "Everything will remain the same. My relationship with Chelsea has not changed. I don't want to change."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2007250844,00.html

CHELSEA have entered the race for long-term Liverpool target Daniel Alves.

Rafa Benitez will be furious at the prospect of seeing the £12million-rated Brazilian join one of his fiercest rivals.

SunSport can reveal that Blues academy director Frank Arnesen met the Seville star’s agent at the Hilton Hotel in Park Lane last Friday.

I'd love to sign Alves, class act.

Good deal?

Inter Milan have made an offer to swap Brazil striker Adriano for Chelsea's Andriy Shevchenko. (Daily Mirror)

I'd take it, if only cause Adriano is younger and has more time to adapt and grow.  Shevchenko was a stupid signing whatever way you look at it, he shouldn't have left Milan either.  Doubt he will actually want to go to Inter though.