Is there anyone good enough for Newcastle United?

Guest Knightrider

I'm a result person regardless of the means or manner of obtaining it.

Anybody can be good for Newcastle United as long as he or even she can ensure that Newcastle United wins.

Attractive football can come later when there is a strong foundation. I think football today is no difference from business to be very honest.

Regards,

Ericz

Anybody can be good for Newcastle United as long as he or even she can ensure that Newcastle United wins.

Attractive football can come later when there is a strong foundation. I think football today is no difference from business to be very honest.

Regards,

Ericz

Nice post.

Regards,

Greg

Guest smoggeordie

Regards,

Ericz

Nice post.

Regards,

Greg

Joke has already been made.  ;)

Regards,

NSG

Guest smoggeordie

I can't believe Aaron Hughes ever played against Juventus.

Andy Griffin scored against Juventus, that's much worse.

:cheesy:

in off buffon mind

Still... we battered them that night.

No we didn't. They could have had 3 or 4. Nedved was absolutely awesome down the left, and the one they smacked off the bar was easier to score than miss.

Regards,

Ericz

Nice post.

Regards,

Greg

Regards,

NSG

Man that's just petty. The poor bloke says what he thinks and you guys just take the piss out of him.

Yours Sincerely,

danswan

Guest smoggeordie

Regards,

Ericz

Nice post.

Regards,

Greg

Regards,

NSG

Man that's just petty. The poor bloke says what he thinks and you guys just take the piss out of him.

Yours Sincerely,

danswan

Shouldn't it be:

"Yours Faithfully,

danswan"

?

Yours Faithfully,

NSG

Regards,

Ericz

To whom it may concern,

I share your views on the above.  The 1987 George Graham team was s***, but he built solid foundations, and contrary to popular belief one season they had the best goal difference in years, based on a solid foundation, and some really good football (not just long ball to Smith rubbish).

Sam will build the same here in my view, which is why I'm not expecting the earth next season.  The Tyne Bridge wasn't built in a day, the foundations were laid, and a beautiful span across the Tyne took shape.  I expect in five years a metaphorically similar thing to happen at St James'.

Yours in expectance,

Steve

Bsc.Lit

How many times are we gonna just write off players? Everyone signing for the toon in the last 5 years or so ultimately gets hounded out by the fans. Player arrives, does pretty well. Most fans think he's a good signing. Theres talk he should be in his respective international squad. This point is highlighted by the following players:

Jenas - When Bobby bought the lad, we all thought he had unearthed a gem. A promising teenager who made his first appearance in the 1-0 win over the mackems. Had a very good 1st full season for us and was named PFA young player of the year. In his second full season, as happens with most young players his form dips and people start getting on his back. Slowly peoples opinions change and they start saying 'I always thought he was shit'. Leaves for Spurs, lets face it has done pretty well and although peoples initial assessment of him being a potential world star was a little over the top, he is still a very decent player. Last season he scored a respectable 8 league goals (that would make him our 2nd highest goalscorer behind Martins, who got 11). Our main central midfielders (Butt, Emre, Parker) between them got 6 league goals betwen them. In his first season with Spurs he also got a respectable 8 league goals. 

Parker - Again first season, everyone was delighted with him. When he wasn't getting picked for England we all thought it was ridiculous and that he should be in the squad. A dip in form in his second season and all of a sudden he is absolute dog-shit and everyones delighted we're getting rid of him.

Martins - It seems to be happening again. After a poor start he has plugged away in a new country, new league, playing as the only out and out striker in most of our games. People thought he was brilliant a potential world star. After a poor end of the campaign and its swinging round again. If he's here next season and it starts poorly....

Speed - In his final season for us the general opinion was that he was rubbish and most when he was sold for peanuts to Bolton. Probably been one of boltons top performers since he has been there.

Boumsong - When 1st arrived we thought we'd paid over the odds but had got a decent enough defender. Second season was a disaster. Had personal problems which probably contributed. Don't know how he has played for Juve this year but his true form was certainly not that we had seen in his second season.

Ramage - When he initially filled in for Carr, people were quite impressed and most thought he did a very good job playing out of position. A couple of bad mistakes gifting goals to Rooney and he has never recovered and we've all written him off.

Butt - This ones pretty much gone the other way. After a decent start it all went tits up and we would have happily given him away. Couldn't find him a club so he has applied himself in the right was however and probably our player of the season. Had we stuck with a few other players would the same happened.

Theres others such as Viana, Emre, Shola etc.

Basically we can't afford to keep writing off players as soon as they go through one bad patch or getting on their back because they don't meet our unrealistic expectation. We as fans have been guilty of this too often.

Jenas and Parker wanted to leave, maybe martins too?

Boumsong, Ramage, Viana, Emre and Shola were, or have been crappy for us. This is just my opinion but you can't keep a player on because you think his potential is higher than he's performing, or that he's not performing now as well as he used to in a total different league, like Boumsong for example - Yeah he played a lot better in the past, but he had a full season to get back into shape - How long would you play a defender that isn't defending properly before you run out of patience with him?

You're right, we are too quick to write a player off at times but at the same time, if a player plays well, he gets praised... If he doesn't play well, he gets the stick that comes with it.

I don't know why we got rid of Speed though, I always liked him. :)

Guest Magpiecn

How many times are we gonna just write off players? Everyone signing for the toon in the last 5 years or so ultimately gets hounded out by the fans. Player arrives, does pretty well. Most fans think he's a good signing. Theres talk he should be in his respective international squad. This point is highlighted by the following players:

Jenas - When Bobby bought the lad, we all thought he had unearthed a gem. A promising teenager who made his first appearance in the 1-0 win over the mackems. Had a very good 1st full season for us and was named PFA young player of the year. In his second full season, as happens with most young players his form dips and people start getting on his back. Slowly peoples opinions change and they start saying 'I always thought he was s***'. Leaves for Spurs, lets face it has done pretty well and although peoples initial assessment of him being a potential world star was a little over the top, he is still a very decent player. Last season he scored a respectable 8 league goals (that would make him our 2nd highest goalscorer behind Martins, who got 11). Our main central midfielders (Butt, Emre, Parker) between them got 6 league goals betwen them. In his first season with Spurs he also got a respectable 8 league goals. 

Parker - Again first season, everyone was delighted with him. When he wasn't getting picked for England we all thought it was ridiculous and that he should be in the squad. A dip in form in his second season and all of a sudden he is absolute dog-s*** and everyones delighted we're getting rid of him.

Martins - It seems to be happening again. After a poor start he has plugged away in a new country, new league, playing as the only out and out striker in most of our games. People thought he was brilliant a potential world star. After a poor end of the campaign and its swinging round again. If he's here next season and it starts poorly....

Speed - In his final season for us the general opinion was that he was rubbish and most when he was sold for peanuts to Bolton. Probably been one of boltons top performers since he has been there.

Boumsong - When 1st arrived we thought we'd paid over the odds but had got a decent enough defender. Second season was a disaster. Had personal problems which probably contributed. Don't know how he has played for Juve this year but his true form was certainly not that we had seen in his second season.

Ramage - When he initially filled in for Carr, people were quite impressed and most thought he did a very good job playing out of position. A couple of bad mistakes gifting goals to Rooney and he has never recovered and we've all written him off.

Butt - This ones pretty much gone the other way. After a decent start it all went tits up and we would have happily given him away. Couldn't find him a club so he has applied himself in the right was however and probably our player of the season. Had we stuck with a few other players would the same happened.

Theres others such as Viana, Emre, Shola etc.

Basically we can't afford to keep writing off players as soon as they go through one bad patch or getting on their back because they don't meet our unrealistic expectation. We as fans have been guilty of this too often.

Good post.

Guest Hodgson09

Parker = crap

Jenas = crap

Boumsong = crap

Ramage = crap

Viana = crap

Luque = crap

Sorry but these players are not good enough for Newcastle United and they never will be, yes there are plenty of players out there who are good enough for Newcastle. I think Viduka is an excellent option he will be a free transfer scores goal and has a good presence up front, Ben Haim again free transfer and he is a very capable defender people are going to call some players dogshit before they come to the club and that is their opinion which is no more wrong than any other opinion. The players above have performed like a turd on a bad day and it is proven that they are in fact crap. Viduka has not been proven crap, either has Ben Haim they are very capable players, we need a bigger squad and building the squad with capable players is excellent practice, you then add a few class players and you have a great winning formula. Now I don't think Martins is crap, has he been ineffective in games yeah sometimes he has but he still scored 17 cracking goals under a crap manager, Diouf was shite at Liverpool utter shite he went to Bolton under BSA and he has been very impressive. Some supporters are very hard to please but if this thread was started because of the sale of Parker go review the tapes and you will find how truly ineffective the player is he is 1 dimensional and has been since his charlton days, the only thing that made him well known was because he appeared better in a shite charlton team and was purchased by chelsea where he was proven to be out of his depth. He is crap and he is joining an equally crap team good riddance I say, never deserved to be captain, it will be interesting to see who BSA makes captain. I might start a new thread about that....now that will be truly interesting.

Speed shouldn't have been sold top professional and I liked him from the day he joined. Well i'm off to start another pointless thread because well i'm bored.

Guest Hodgson09

Well that sucks apparently I have not reached the 100 post threshold to start new threads so I can't bother you all with more drivel.

Jenas and Parker wanted to leave, maybe martins too?

Boumsong, Ramage, Viana, Emre and Shola were, or have been crappy for us. This is just my opinion but you can't keep a player on because you think his potential is higher than he's performing, or that he's not performing now as well as he used to in a total different league, like Boumsong for example - Yeah he played a lot better in the past, but he had a full season to get back into shape - How long would you play a defender that isn't defending properly before you run out of patience with him?

You're right, we are too quick to write a player off at times but at the same time, if a player plays well, he gets praised... If he doesn't play well, he gets the stick that comes with it.

I don't know why we got rid of Speed though, I always liked him. :)

I'm sure part of the reason why Parker and Jenas wanted to leave was their relationship with the fans though.

The others you mention have had poor performances that can't be argued against.

Shola was a big player for us though before his hip started playing up and I think his record under Roeder was something like a goal every 2 games, very acceptable for a squad player. Despite this most would sooner see him given away.

What I think I was trying to highlight is that for us once a player goes into a bad run of form, thats him finished. Although the coaches/manager have to take some of the blame, we the fans are almost just as responsible at times with our knee-jerk reactions.

I think the points about Ramage and Boumsong let the post down a tad.

Do you not agree that Boumsong had a pretty decent 1st half of the season with us. I remember the man u game at the start of his 1st full season with us and everyone was quite suprised by his 2 errors that led to the goals. After that there was no coming back.

Similar with Ramage, I think he filled in quite well for Carr initially, especially considering he was playing out of position.