What is Sam Allardyce thinking?

Newcastle Fan

Guest Northern Boys Love Gravy!

Kingston is a very good player.

I have no worries whatsoever that Sam will get this window right. :thup:

Im not panicing at all, i guess the fact that you dont really know many of the players were bein linked with is abit of a worry *in a way* in a way its quite exciting, and i have total faith in Big Sams ability to notice unknown talent.

will the Joey Barton transfer be completed by tomorrow do you think??

Don't think anyone would be able to make a fair judgement tbh, mate. Who knows?

so if the takeover eventually happens and Ashley is in charge, as a gestimate, how much money (transfer wise) are we possibly talking? A couple million more that what we noramally get, or Roman Abromovich style? Just out of interest like.

45mill has been rumoured in the red tops

could be quite interesting then for Big Sam then, seen as he normally buys good players for a max £1mill lol.

Guest Northern Boys Love Gravy!

All the talk is £45M...

I read somewhere that Ashley aims to make us a bigger brand than Man U, in like 5/6 years. That would be quite interesting if its true then. Would definatly mean that he would have to put money into the club to achieve that though.

Guest khyberpass

All the talk is £45M...

I read somewhere that Ashley aims to make us a bigger brand than Man U, in like 5/6 years. That would be quite interesting if its true then. Would definatly mean that he would have to put money into the club to achieve that though.

not sure that £45M a year for 5 years will do that...imagine it will restore us to a Top 6 side; with aspirations to challenge Top 4>>>

Another point is the whole takeover thing, i don't think Allardyce will be getting any money simply because we still don't know who the f*** owns this club at the moment, So where will the money come from?

Well I could see it making transfers slightly more difficult due to the current chairman's attention being  focused on the takeover.  But I honestly don't see why it would freeze any transfer money.  Its not as if Shepherd would lose anything if he bought players before accepting Ashley's offer (or being forced out).  After all its club money that's always been spent on players, not Freddy's money.  He can't take it with him...

All the talk is £45M...

not sure that £45M a year for 5 years will do that...imagine it will restore us to a Top 6 side; with aspirations to challenge Top 4>>>

I think it was £54 million per season which was based on £270 million and a five year plan.  I think that kind of money could easily put us into a position of challenging for the Premiership title with the right manager (which I hope Allardyce is).  Then again I think £45 million per season could easily do that as well to be honest.

Have said before, Ashley & Allardyce have a tough job - regardless of the amount of money available, NUFC is just NOT seen as a top target for the best players anymore.

The past 4 years have seen the club's reputation decline massively, and we have fallen way behind the Top 4(which, in case anyone has forgotten, we were part of between 96-97 and 2001-3).

The bosses have a huge sorting-out job to do, and quite a number of the current squad are just NOT good enough for NUFC, either ability-wise or character-wise.

Allardyce has to get a foundation to the team which will at least bring some respect and fight back to the side - if any silverware results in the next year, it will be a huge bonus and help us to compete with the top 4 for players.

The days of storming the Prem like KKs team did in 1993/94 are over - there is too much power in the top 4 now, and the order is too established. We are effectively starting all over again, that is how far the club has fallen - AND we now have real competition from the likes of Villa & West Ham, both of whom have money.

This thread has meandered a bit from the original post, but I'll throw in my piece anyway...  :coolsmiley:

Yes, our squad is the thinnest I've seen in a long time, but a lot of deadwood has been cut free. Seriously, who would have Bramble, Moore, Sib, Gooch, Pav or Bernard back? But the noises coming from SJP are all positive at the minute, i.e. possibly Barton (I know this divides opinion) and Viduka in this week, with a maybe on this lad Rozenhal from PSG soon after. That would be a hell of a start considering it's the first week of June. And let's not forget that Sam is a wheeler-dealer extraordinaire and has produce repeated results with Bolton when buying in unknown talent from Europe and beyond. I have every faith that Sam is patiently going through his little black book and sourcing the players that we need under his current budget. Also, let's not forget that he has already laid the foundations for our new backroom structure and training regime etc. For the first time in a long time I have confidence in our management team. Still, it won't be easy breaking into the top 8, never mind the top 4, but with the right foundations, we could build a sustainable future at the higher levels of the premiership. We're going through a revolution in thinking at SJP, and I for one am not worried in the slightest.

Oh, and this is all before we even consider the prospect of a billionaire takeover...  ;)

Just a point with regards to the first post. Sam always has said he would prefer a small squad anyway and I'm sure I remember him mentioning a squad of 25 players so to be honest we're pretty close to the numbers he wants just maybe not the players yet.

With £45m we could pretty much sort out the whole squad with "good" players this summer then start adding some real quality over the next few years to get us right up there. If it is spent correctly of course but I trust Allardyce to do that.