Two possible front sixes?

STM
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

As it seems we have Viduka and Barton in the bag, what kind of formation would you be looking at? Obviously, we haven't been seriously linked with any defenders yet so i didn't include them. These are the two front sixes that are in my head but the poll question is more about formation, given the players we have signed rather than the players we already have;

Butt

Barton

Milner                                      Duff

Viduka

Owen

433/451

Butt

Emre

Barton

Owen        Viduka        Martins

I don't see Barton as a holding player and now that Allardyce has arrived i'm looking forward to seeing Butts career extended,. Although, when i drafted those two sides it annoyed me that i left Milner out of the second one.

Guest gggg

I can't see us playing with 3 strikers

I think away from home a Bolton style 4-3-3 like this could workwith a 4-4-2 at home

Butt

Emre

Barton

Milner                                    Duff

Viduka

I really can't see him playing all three up front because it'll mean either no wingers, or just 3 at the back.

My formation was meant as as the way Chelsea used to play and the way Bolton are playing now. Which despite what people say is not with a lone striker. It's with two support strikers with pace, which in this case would be Oba and Owen.

I really can't see him playing all three up front because it'll mean either no wingers, or just 3 at the back.

or dyer and bridge as wingbacks with a centre half 3.

i know man

I don't see Barton as a holding player and now that Allardyce has arrived i'm looking forward to seeing Butts career extended,. Although, when i drafted those two sides it annoyed me that i left Milner out of the second one.

I was going with an attacking 4-3-3 with all the strikers, which could be our home setup, and would be interesting.

Defensive i'd go 4-5-1

-------------Butt---------

----Barton---------Zoggy

Milner-----------------Martins

-----------Viduka---------------

I'm not adding Duff into this as he's out for half a season.

For me Milner has to be in the squad somewhere, arguably our best player last season, i hope SA has a big future from him here.

The 4-5-1, but not that line-up:

Potentially. Where it leaves Milner though, i'm not sure.

------------------------ Butt -------------------------

------------ Barton ----------- Emre ---------------

Milner ---------------------------------------- Owen

---------------------- Martins ------------------------

... would possible be my preference. I honestly wouldn't know. I can imagine Viduka will play in fits and spurts anyhow, likewise with Shola. I can't see either of Martins or Owen going just yet so it leaves us with plenty of attacking options. Taking account the likes of Duff and N'Zogbia aswell, there's 6 or 7 realistic combinations of that front three.

Tell you what, i'm glad i'm not Allardyce! Damned exciting, though. Nice to have a (fucking fantastic) headache when it comes to starting line-ups. I await the friendlies with great anticipation.

If just one of Martins or Owen can play behind the striker/widish - we'll be cumming in our pants.

----Barton---------Zoggy

Playing him for the sake of playing him, that would be. He can't play central. At all. Whatsoever.

Agree about Milner though - he has to be in there.

Owen & Martins are not support strikers though.

I agree in principal but i would have said the same about Anelka last year and Sam managed to draft him into that system and not always down the middle. He also converted Diouf into a wide man, although admittedly he played ther for Liverpool a couple of times.

Owen & Martins are not support strikers though.

I agree in principal but i would have said the same about Anelka last year and Sam managed to draft him into that system and not always down the middle. He also converted Diouf into a wide man, although admittedly he played ther for Liverpool a couple of times.

Spot on. The fact that he played there for Liverpool is irrelevant, cos he was shite at Liverpool.

Sam has the power!!!

... would possible be my preference. I honestly wouldn't know. I can imagine Viduka will play in fits and spurts anyhow, likewise with Shola. I can't see either of Martins or Owen going just yet so it leaves us with plenty of attacking options. Taking account the likes of Duff and N'Zogbia aswell, there's 6 or 7 realistic combinations of that front three.

Tell you what, i'm glad i'm not Allardyce! Damned exciting, though. Nice to have a (f****** fantastic) headache when it comes to starting line-ups. I await the friendlies with great anticipation.

If just one of Martins or Owen can play behind the striker/widish - we'll be cumming in our pants.

Out of Martins and Owen i'd be more inclined to suggest that Martins would be better out wide. As you said in the otehr thread Sam and us have a fantastic headache.

I was going with an attacking 4-3-3 with all the strikers, which could be our home setup, and would be interesting.

Defensive i'd go 4-5-1

----Barton---------Zoggy

I'm not adding Duff into this as he's out for half a season.

For me Milner has to be in the squad somewhere, arguably our best player last season, i hope SA has a big future from him here.

i remember doing all this sort of stuff on gran canaria when we'd signed ferdinand,ginola etc

----Barton---------Zoggy

Playing him for the sake of playing him, that would be. He can't play central. At all. Whatsoever.

Agree about Milner though - he has to be in there.

Its not really central though, its not outwide either, it would mean him being only yards out of position, which is better than Emre on form in his natural position imo.

Also h'es never palyed that position before, he might be able to adapt, especially in a winning team, you just don't know, he'd me more adaptive to that role than having either Owen or Martins far wide on the 4-5-1.

I refuse to put Emre in any future plans, thoughts of line ups as he's crap, zoggy is the best we've got in that position imo.

Guest gggg

There's no chance Owen can play anywhere but up top, he's a pure goalscorer and wouldnt offer anything wide. Martins maybe but it would be better to play Milner and Duff/N'zogbia off Viduka.

Tell you what, i'm glad i'm not Allardyce! Damned exciting, though. Nice to have a (f****** fantastic) headache when it comes to starting line-ups. I await the friendlies with great anticipation.

Out of Martins and Owen i'd be more inclined to suggest that Martins would be better out wide. As you said in the otehr thread Sam and us have a fantastic headache.

Aye, same. But that'd mean a case of whether or not Owen can play as a lone figure. It's a bit of a merry-go-round. Like i say, i'm glad i'm not Sam.

Aye, same. But that'd mean a case of whether or not Owen can play as a lone figure. It's a bit of a merry-go-round. Like i say, i'm glad i'm not Sam.

Thing is its all good fun but highly irrelevant as after about 4/5 games in he'll be struggling to put a team together due to injuries.

:buck2:

There's no chance Owen can play anywhere but up top, he's a pure goalscorer and wouldnt offer anything wide. Martins maybe but it would be better to play Milner and Duff/N'zogbia off Viduka.

Yer, thinking twice i think your correct but the problem is i wouldn't want to play him on his own either. It would either be 442 or nothing with the lad. Which is handy considering his injury problems.

Yer, thinking twice i think your correct but the problem is i wouldn't want to play him on his own either. It would either be 442 or nothing with the lad. Which is handy considering his injury problems.

Sell him, best thing the club could do.

Spot on again, Rod. 4-4-2 or nowt with regards to Owen, atleast at the moment anyway.

But i'd be happy to let Sam work on it. :D

Guest gggg

Yeah Owen can only play in a 4-4-2 really, which means either playing 4-4-2 every game or leaving our star 100 grand a week player out of away games.  :cheesy:

If someone came in with his 11m for his release clause i would not be gutted, looking at this thread. He is the only one that would fuck up an effective 433 for us. Because we all know of course that Micheal Owen HAS to play.