Worried about spending silly

Dave

I'm as excited as anyone about our new management team and the prospect of change off the pitch too.

But i'm worried about the money we might throw at everything if the takeover goes though without problems.

Already I see people on the forum saying 'who cares what he's on, we're loaded!' and 'we should buy player X for £xsquillion, we've loads of money!'. Fees and wages are still important regardless of the backing the club has, and I want us to do business in a sensible manner.

We've been throwing money at the playing staff (albeit in a very haphazard, inconsistent manner) for years now and it's done us no good whatsoever. The very thing Shepherd was good at - releasing funds for managers - helped us win precisely fuck all.

So we get in a talented manager who is adept at working on a tight budget and within weeks he's potentially got shitloads to spend on fees and wages.

I hope the new board and particularly the manager stick to their principles and make decisions on a sound basis from a financial point of view, and it worries me that we won't do this in the search for immediate success.

Am I being overly cautious?

Guest DavB93

I'm as excited as anyone about our new management team and the prospect of change off the pitch too.

But i'm worried about the money we might throw at everything if the takeover goes though without problems.

Already I see people on the forum saying 'who cares what he's on, we're loaded!' and 'we should buy player X for £xsquillion, we've loads of money!'. Fees and wages are still important regardless of the backing the club has, and I want us to do business in a sensible manner.

We've been throwing money at the playing staff (albeit in a very haphazard, inconsistent manner) for years now and it's done us no good whatsoever. The very thing Shepherd was good at - releasing funds for managers - helped us win precisely fuck all.

So we get in a talented manager who is adept at working on a tight budget and within weeks he's potentially got shitloads to spend on fees and wages.

I hope the new board and particularly the manager stick to their principles and make decisions on a sound basis from a financial point of view, and it worries me that we won't do this in the search for immediate success.

I can see your point but hasn't Ashley got the £240 million five year plan, so if the money is there I say Sam should spend it.

We've been throwing money at the playing staff (albeit in a very haphazard, inconsistent manner) for years now and it's done us no good whatsoever. The very thing Shepherd was good at - releasing funds for managers - helped us win precisely f*** all.

a little.

i don't want us to go overboard chelsea style buying players just cos we can and to keep them away from the opposition(parker,wright philips etc etc etc)but as has happened with us in the past fees and wages go up when it's known you have cash.

Guest johnson293

We've been throwing money at the playing staff (albeit in a very haphazard, inconsistent manner) for years now and it's done us no good whatsoever. The very thing Shepherd was good at - releasing funds for managers - helped us win precisely f*** all.

Yep, totally agree.

Unless the player in question is truly world class, and someone we really want/need, then I dont think we should be following the Chelsea/West Ham trend of throwing stupid money at players just so they don't go elsewhere, just becasue we (might) have loads of money to spend.

One thign I was lookign forward to with Sam coming in, was becoming a team who could find a load of decent/good (perhaps even unknown) players, who weren't gonna cost the earth, and weren't on galactic wages - thus they are more inclined to want to be here for the team, not just the wage.

It'll be nice to know the money is there to compete with the top 4 clubs if we need to, but I hopw we stick to the realistic (costwise) signings as well.

Yep, totally agree.

Unless the player in question is truly world class, and someone we really want/need, then I dont think we should be following the Chelsea/West Ham trend of throwing stupid money at players just so they don't go elsewhere, just becasue we (might) have loads of money to spend.

One thign I was lookign forward to with Sam coming in, was becoming a team who could find a load of decent players, who weren't gonna cost the earth, and weren't on galactic wages - thus they are more inclined to want to be here for the team, not just the wage.

It'll be nice to know the money is there to compete with the top 4 clubs if we need to, but I hopw we stick to the realistic (costwise) signings as well.

/\ That

Eh? The premise of this is that because the kids are getting carried away this will somehow translate itself into the club's decision making.

No it wont.

Exactly. It's also that moment when someone wins the lottery and then realises the fear that comes with the joy.

What evidence is there that this should be a concern?

None, the takeover hasn't even been completed.

Can I not express a concern?

Did i say you shouldnt? Just saying that theis concern is based on how people on here are reacting. Flimsy to say the least. Allardyce isnt known for splashing out and he seems to be doing what he always does.

West Ham have acted in this transfer window in a complete opposite manner to us so far, so again, not evidence.

It would be very dissapointing if we started carrying on the way West Ham have been this summer but fortunately for us our history of doing this should work in our favour, as we've been there done that to some extent.

I was ecstatic to hear Sam talk about bringing in players who really had a desire to play for Newcastle and to play for him. I am confident he will stick to this. It is the only way to do things. We can still get very good players who are on the rise without having to go for the likes of Nani and Anderson, whose values are stupidly high.

Sam targets so far have been spot on and I do not believe he will be changin them at this point.

I don't think we should through money at players for the sake of it. At West Ham at the moment is looks like the case of "we are not bothered who we get as long as we get them"

If the Barton and Viduka buiness come off and Parker goes to West Ham then I see that as a very sensible spending plan. Okay Barton may not be everyone's cup of team, but he is at least on par with Scott Parker and Viduka IMO would become our 2nd best striker so that is an improvement straight away.

If we get to the position where we may lose out on a player unless we guzump the other club then fair enough but I think Sam should stick to his principles. Basically he should use the same method of deciding on a player whether he is spending £15 million on a player or £2 million.

Guest elbee909

I like to think the money will be put to better use than just players, and Sam Allardyce will see that it goes where it's needed.  What took years to implement at Notlob should be a fair bit quicker to do here as a result.  Good.

Did i say you shouldnt? Just saying that theis concern is based on how people on here are reacting. Flimsy to say the least. Allardyce isnt known for splashing out and he seems to be doing what he always does.

West Ham have acted in this transfer window in a complete opposite manner to us so far, so again, not evidence.

But West Ham have already been taken over, we haven't.

As far as Allardyce is concerned, we've got no more money to spend than we had at the end of the season. That's what he's working with at the moment.

The point is we've traditionally spent lots of money and got nowhere.

Now we potentially have loads more money available I hope we continue with the plan Allardyce was brought in to work on, which is prudent spending.

Guest khyberpass

generally agree with the man at the top....

but fcuk it..lets buy E'to, Messi, Kakka, Lampard, Carvalho, Vidic, Heinze...and worry about it later   :uglystupid2:

ONLY Kidding

I didn't mean to belittle any forum members' opinions on transfers and spending, btw.

Unlike some I suppose.

Fair enough Dave, because someone on here says 'fuck it we're loaded lets go for him' we should be worried about how the club is run.

Aye.

The point is we've traditionally spent lots of money and got nowhere.

Now we potentially have loads more money available I hope we continue with the plan Allardyce was brought in to work on, which is prudent spending.

i just hope his methods stay the same ie value.

I didn't mean to belittle any forum members' opinions on transfers and spending, btw.

Unlike some I suppose.

Fair enough Dave, because someone on here says 'fuck it we're loaded lets go for him' we should be worried about how the club is run.

Aye.

I didn't say that.