Worried about spending silly

Dave

i'm concerned we could be seen as a chelsea or a west ham who nobody repects because of their spending policy as opposed to a man utd whose policy is much better

No-one will see us as "a West Ham".  West Ham are a small club (half the time in the 2nd Division) who have suddenly got a bit of money.

We have always had ("earned") a lot of money  -  we will just have a bit more now! (perhaps a LOT more, but it is still only a progression from what we had, unlike the West Ham scenario).

We will not be seen as a Chelsea, as part of that particular obscenity was, that they were in an almost identical position to Leeds, at the same time as Leeds (the 'figures' were almost exactly the same) and Abramovich suddenly paid off all their debts and then started spending huge amounts of un-earned money (over-the-odds) on players, while Leeds went the natural way that both of them should have gone.

The extra money we have will, I imagine, be more of a top-up (albeit a big one, maybe) with Allerdyce still portraying the public image (VERY important) of "getting value for money".

Handled correctly, we should be able to have all the Chelsea advantages (more so, as allied to our much larger stadium, support, revenues, etc) without being seen as "doing a Chelsea" , with all those associated (perceived) disadvantages.

Guest redmayne

I'm as excited as anyone about our new management team and the prospect of change off the pitch too.

But i'm worried about the money we might throw at everything if the takeover goes though without problems.

Already I see people on the forum saying 'who cares what he's on, we're loaded!' and 'we should buy player X for £xsquillion, we've loads of money!'. Fees and wages are still important regardless of the backing the club has, and I want us to do business in a sensible manner.

We've been throwing money at the playing staff (albeit in a very haphazard, inconsistent manner) for years now and it's done us no good whatsoever. The very thing Shepherd was good at - releasing funds for managers - helped us win precisely fuck all.

So we get in a talented manager who is adept at working on a tight budget and within weeks he's potentially got shitloads to spend on fees and wages.

I hope the new board and particularly the manager stick to their principles and make decisions on a sound basis from a financial point of view, and it worries me that we won't do this in the search for immediate success.

Am I being overly cautious?

i like the stance tottenham took a few years back fo tightening when everyone else spent (lets face the way things are going 10 teams should win a trophy)  maybe being a l.ittle cautious this season and letting the likes of west ham fuck up isn't such a bad thing - i'd take a chance on a few teams failing - money isn't always the answer

too many FM players in this world :-)

Guest redmayne

i'm concerned we could be seen as a chelsea or a west ham who nobody repects because of their spending policy as opposed to a man utd whose policy is much better

No-one will see us as "a West Ham".  West Ham are a small club (half the time in the 2nd Division) who have suddenly got a bit of money.

We have always had ("earned") a lot of money  -  we will just have a bit more now! (perhaps a LOT more, but it is still only a progression from what we had, unlike the West Ham scenario).

We will not be seen as a Chelsea, as part of that particular obscenity was, that they were in an almost identical position to Leeds, at the same time as Leeds (the 'figures' were almost exactly the same) and Abramovich suddenly paid off all their debts and then started spending huge amounts of un-earned money (over-the-odds) on players, while Leeds went the natural way that both of them should have gone.

The extra money we have will, I imagine, be more of a top-up (albeit a big one, maybe) with Allerdyce still portraying the public image (VERY important) of "getting value for money".

Handled correctly, we should be able to have all the Chelsea advantages (more so, as allied to our much larger stadium, support, revenues, etc) without being seen as "doing a Chelsea" , with all those associated (perceived) disadvantages.

no offensae but you should check west ham history

they aren't a small club

huge support in the south east... if they had a 50K stadium they'd almost always fill it

probably a bigger club than the north london two in terms of support

(and im not a hammer - i just live in London)

no offensae but you should check west ham history

they aren't a small club

huge support in the south east... if they had a 50K stadium they'd almost always fill it

probably a bigger club than the north london two in terms of support

(and im not a hammer - i just live in London)

Yeah, I lived in London for years. Wapping, Hackney and Ilford  -  so I know 'The Hammers', they were my local team for a long time, though I had no affection for them, just went with local friends who supported them.

I feel I have a clear understanding of where that club sits in the National hierarchy.  Locally, down there, I do not feel they have ever, in my lifetime, been as 'big' as Tottenham and Arsenal, but have a localised and quite passionate (if, a bit 'vicious' and too knife-friendly) level of support.

Guest redmayne

sorry i often class support as viciousness

they have never achieved as much but i still think they have massive potential

they'd do better than chelsea who struggle now even with all the cash

(although ask any chelsea fan and they think they are gods gift - living near them actually makes me like man utd right now - horrible twats)

((and that lampard dont even get me started!))

(although ask any chelsea fan and they think they are gods gift - living near them actually makes me like man utd right now - horrible twats)

Without doubt, West Ham are a vastly better supported club than Chelsea. In fact as clubs (amongst London clubs) they are probably at the absolute opposite ends of the spectrum.

The current Chelsea, are a false and temporary aberration.  Things like that NEVER last.

Guest redmayne

Without doubt, West Ham are a vastly better supported club than Chelsea. In fact as clubs (amongst London clubs) they are probably at the absolute opposite ends of the spectrum.

The current Chelsea, are a false and temporary aberration.  Things like that NEVER last.

i am only staying in the south to wait for it to happen

man utd may be hated up north but chelsea are an abomination

the fans as well are ... words fail me ... imagine 15000 denis wises (should be 45000 for the players they have but it is chelsea)

the fans as well are ... words fail me ... imagine 15000 denis wises (should be 45000 for the players they have but it is chelsea)

redmayne - I think we are definitely in agreement on the subject of Sh*tski !!!!

Guest redmayne

redmayne - I think we are definitely in agreement on the subject of Sh*tski !!!!

check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNCkPGNIvWI&NR=1

check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNCkPGNIvWI&NR=1

Sums them up - don't you think . . .  hope we are strong enough by next season to sort them out.  We have a bit of work yet to do though!

Guest Knightrider

Dave I think your concerns are legitimate and I too share them, however with Sam Allardyce in charge I trust him all the way to spend money wisely, although even he will have to pay over the odds once or twice in the current climate. Indeed no manager or club can get away without doing so and those that do not take a chance or pay over the odds for players from time to time will never get anywhere because sometimes you have to.

Guest redmayne

indeed - pity for such a club they have asucha  good manager

like you said - won't last

hopefully we wont try the quick fix attitude and will plan for a long time

its been a while since a (genuine) star has come from our academy

indeed - pity for such a club they have asucha  good manager

like you said - won't last

hopefully we wont try the quick fix attitude and will plan for a long time

its been a while since a (genuine) star has come from our academy

Didn't Shola come from the Academy?

. . . .  er yeah, see what you mean!!!!!!!!

Actually, not sure he did come via the Academy?

Guest redmayne

I'd love to see us invest in some youth

when did you last ehar NUFC ousting players from across the continent for the academy

we need to stop this "11 geordies" shite that hall spouted and have a global scout team

i once read we have something like 2 full time scouts

probably boy scouts too

Fortunately Dave, the attitudes of people on this forum has no bearing on the way the club is run.

Completely agree.

Just because a few people on here either think we should or expect we will spend loads of money it doesn't mean we will spend it.  If we do, it all depends on whether we spend it well.  We've had our hands burnt a few times over the years so I can't see us spending silly unless its justified.

When KK resigned as manager I really though that we had built solid foundations which we could use to go forward and become a club to be proud of, that didn't happen and looking back it's probably fair to say that the foundations were built on sand.

We've got another opportunity to try to become the club we want to be and I really hope that we build something that will last longer and this time bring a bit of success.  If we spend big then I don't mind as long as we get good value for money instead of throwing good money after bad.

Guest redmayne

When KK resigned as manager I really though that we had built solid foundations which we could use to go forward and become a club to be proud of, that didn't happen and looking back it's probably fair to say that the foundations were built on sand.

We've got another opportunity to try to become the club we want to be and I really hope that we build something that will last longer and this time and bring a bit of success.  If we spend big then I don't mind as long as we get good value for money instead of throwing good money after bad.

yup

agreed in total

hope Sam is the Man

We've got another opportunity to try to become the club we want to be and I really hope that we build something that will last longer and this time and bring a bit of success.  If we spend big then I don't mind as long as we get good value for money instead of throwing good money after bad.

yup

agreed in total

hope Sam is the Man

When KK left he did leave good foundations, problem was that Dalglish was a complete prick and sold our best players.

David Batty

Les Ferdinand

David Ginola

Keith Gillespie (at the time he was doing us good!)

Faustino Asprilla

Why oh why did we let these players go?

I would have more concerns of us being like a cash cow to milk we go to buy a player and case we are rich (take over needed) and then treble the price or start saying that they will only sell to us for twice the price, some of chelsea's buys for example have been well over the top.

Guest redmayne

yup

agreed in total

hope Sam is the Man

When KK left he did leave good foundations, problem was that Dalglish was a complete prick and sold our best players.

David Batty

Les Ferdinand

David Ginola

Faustino Asprilla

thats total bollocks

he scrapped reserve team football

he went for the title one season and couldn't cope when he didnt win it

he signed AS and left after 5-6 months

what faith in the most expensive player in the world

i think keegan did wonders but outlasted his stay

yup

agreed in total

hope Sam is the Man

David Batty

Les Ferdinand

David Ginola

Faustino Asprilla

Apart from Ginola for 2 seasons, what did any of those do after here?

Guest redmayne

yup

agreed in total

hope Sam is the Man

David Batty

Les Ferdinand

David Ginola

Faustino Asprilla

Apart from Ginola for 2 seasons, what did any of those do after here?

agreed on the crest of a wave its easy to remember the guy who got you to start it

he ran off

simple fact.....

batty to be fair wasn't a bad player for us

we lost the management

that season still kills me 96

The funny thing is that we are not in the position yet to spend silly money.  Mike Ashley has not got full control plus who will sign for us given that we have no European football to offer?  So far we have very good players who are capable of doing well if coached and managed correctly.  Big Sam is the man to deliver that I feel. Given, Solano, Butt, Emre, Taylor, Butt, Milner, N'Zogbia, Dyer, Owen, Martins, Barton, Viduka, Duff.. all very good players.  Problem is that only 1 is a defender... so if we can get Ben Haim on a free, Rozenhal on £3.5 million... that means we have only spent £2million taking off the £7million for Parker and immediately our defence is better.  We still have a lot more to spend and as far as I'm concerend all I want to see is us signing good defenders.  I think we have enough options in attack and midfield, so lets get the back four right so we aren't leaking more goals.

I don't expect £50 million to be blown this summer, we don't need to spend that much yet.  Let's get the defence sorted, then once we got in to Europe again and looking solid spend big.

yup

agreed in total

hope Sam is the Man

David Batty

Les Ferdinand

David Ginola

Faustino Asprilla

thats total bollocks

he scrapped reserve team football

he went for the title one season and couldn't cope when he didnt win it

he signed AS and left after 5-6 months

what faith in the most expensive player in the world

i think keegan did wonders but outlasted his stay

sorry foundations bad word, appreciate he did decimate reserves and there was no youth setup, what I mean is first team wise, we had a decent midfield and attack, given that we rode a bad defence to 2nd in the league two seasons in a row.  Selling some of the key midfield and foward players and replacing them with rubbish was Dalglish's fault, if he had kept these players and conentrated on the defence I think we would have done better than 13th the following season.

Guest redmayne

fair enough

but you always need reserve football to make 1st team players feel competition

KK just went for a risdale football wise...