Should we be thinking South American?

Skirge

The only decent player we've had from S. America has been Solano. The likes of Bassesdas, Gavilan, Cordone, etc. have been pap.

So I guess getting the likes of Messi and Kaka to come here before they go to Italy and/or Spain holds no appeal?  The fault's more with us for going for pap.

There are obviously good players, but in the past we've seemed to have suffered from buying a foreign player and expecting him to deliver because he's Argentinian. I'm not sure we have the scouts to really make confortable, safe moves in the S. American market at the minute. I wouldn't trust Lee bloody Clark's opinion for starters.

Have to travelled in time from three months ago? :)  Things, I hope, will be different now.  Maybe not immediately but certainly in time.

I'm sure the scouting network won't comprise of Lee Clark and chums, anyway.

In the future, maybe, but right now, no. I'm not that convinced that Big Sam has an army of scouts working over in Argentina. In fact, I'm sure he hasn't.

"I have an army of scouts working over in Argentina." - Sam Allardyce

;)

Piss.

Howay then Skirge oh fountain of knowledge how many players have you heard of, or have made such a huge impact from San Lorenzo?

How arsey does that look? :lol:

Guest elbee909

The only decent player we've had from S. America has been Solano. The likes of Bassesdas, Gavilan, Cordone, etc. have been pap.

but they weren't even considered good when we got them, solano was but the rest weren't

What? So we deliberately bought bad players? I assume SBR thought they were good players.

The Wadsworth Blind Spot, one of Bobby's very few failings.

Guest elbee909

So I guess getting the likes of Messi and Kaka to come here before they go to Italy and/or Spain holds no appeal?  The fault's more with us for going for pap.

There are obviously good players, but in the past we've seemed to have suffered from buying a foreign player and expecting him to deliver because he's Argentinian. I'm not sure we have the scouts to really make confortable, safe moves in the S. American market at the minute. I wouldn't trust Lee bloody Clark's opinion for starters.

Have to travelled in time from three months ago? :)  Things, I hope, will be different now.  Maybe not immediately but certainly in time.

I'm sure the scouting network won't comprise of Lee Clark and chums, anyway.

In the future, maybe, but right now, no. I'm not that convinced that Big Sam has an army of scouts working over in Argentina. In fact, I'm sure he hasn't.

"I have an army of scouts working over in Argentina." - Sam Allardyce

;)

Piss.

:D

but they weren't even considered good when we got them, solano was but the rest weren't

What? So we deliberately bought bad players? I assume SBR thought they were good players.

no we bought players that weren't even the best of the bunch when we looked at them, only Gavilan had a decent reputation. and SBR thought many players were good players but he was no kingpin in the transfer market.

no we bought players that weren't even the best of the bunch when we looked at them, only Gavilan had a decent reputation. and SBR thought many players were good players but he was no kingpin in the transfer market.

Well, that further reinforces the point we need top quality scouts to advise the manager. If SBR can fuck up, then Allardyce certainly can too.

Guest Peter Pan

Tino ? U don't rate him at all?

The main reason I believe is the stringent work permit condition. I think a foreign non EU player needs to at least represent his country 75% in past 2 years. With the plethora of creative players South America produce, many of them don't have the chances to represent their countries. Some of them possess dual nationality though. British club hardly sign any raw South American, African for this reason. Mark Gonzalez of Liverpool has to be parked in Real Sociedad. After 2 years he could get a Spanish (EU) passport and work freely in Uk.

How exactly Watford got Rinaldi (Brazillian from Brazil equivalent of Championship, search Rinaldi, Chelsea in the video website) I don't know though. Perhaps he has dual nationality.

Guest optimistic nit

The main reason I believe is the stringent work permit condition. I think a foreign non EU player needs to at least represent his country 75% in past 2 years. With the plethora of creative players South America produce, many of them don't have the chances to represent their countries. Some of them possess dual nationality though. British club hardly sign any raw South American, African for this reason. Mark Gonzalez of Liverpool has to be parked in Real Sociedad. After 2 years he could get a Spanish (EU) passport and work freely in Uk.

How exactly Watford got Rinaldi (Brazillian from Brazil equivalent of Championship, search Rinaldi, Chelsea in the video website) I don't know though. Perhaps he has dual nationality.

i believe (according to FM ;) ) that you can appeal and its done on another condition, but i'm not sure what this is. in fm i think its potential ability ;)

i believe (according to FM ;) ) that you can appeal and its done on another condition, but i'm not sure what this is. in fm i think its potential ability ;)

FM is right, indeed FM is right in many things and have much much better players knowledge than almost every football fan. Clubs can appeal for a work permit to be granted, based on the potentiala and ability of the player. Liverpool did appeal for Gonzalez but the ruling didn't go their way.

Would be interesting to see if Anderson could play for Manchester United.

Guest kmdnufc

We need to get some scouts out to Brazil to. Renato Augusto looks incredible, Man Utd have recently been linked to him.

FM is right, indeed FM is right in many things and have much much better players knowledge than almost every football fan. Clubs can appeal for a work permit to be granted, based on the potentiala and ability of the player. Liverpool did appeal for Gonzalez but the ruling didn't go their way.

his appeal, he will attract any brazilians to watch the PL. His sheer commercial value will get him a work permit.

Won best player at U17 world cup & is Brazilian that pretty much guarantees him entry.  The likes of Gonzalez & Vela both failed because the nations they were born are not classed as strong enough internationally or some bollocks like that.

Guest Peter Pan

Won best player at U17 world cup & is Brazilian that pretty much guarantees him entry.  The likes of Gonzalez & Vela both failed because the nations they were born are not classed as strong enough internationally or some bollocks like that.

Vela is Mexican... So surely that isn´t the case for him.

Vela is Mexican... So surely that isn´t the case for him.

Nabbed this from another board:

"The curious case of Carlos Vela".

It seems that Arsenal got round the FIFA regulations in a similar way to Barca with Lionel Messi in the past:

Article 12 of the FIFA regs:

"International transfers of players under the age of 18 shall only be permitted under the following conditions:

(a) as a general rule when the family of the player moves to the country in which the new club is located for reasons that are not linked to football"

So Vela's entire family was relocated to Vigo officially because "the family home in Cancun had been damaged by a hurricane". The player first signed for Celta Vigo - under some kind of "agreement" with Arsenal to get round the UK's own prohibitive "employment laws". He officially signed for Arsenal in January but remained on loan in Salamanca. Another year in Spain will give him "EU citizenship" and he wont need a work permit to work in England...