Memorable Commentary

Shak

"Is Gascoigne going to have a crack...he is you know...OOHHHH I SAY!...BRILLIANT!...that is schooboy's own stuff!"

That freekick against Arsenal is probably one of my favourite goals ever. Gets me buzzing just thinking about it.

*Deep breaths*

The great Barry Davies.

I can still remember the commentary from Mick Lowes word for word from when we beat Grimsby to secure the title and promotion to the Premiership:

"Robert Lee's through ball looking to find Andrew Cole... COLE'S GOAL!! - IT'S THERE!!! They're off the bench, they're off the bech. With just 21 seconds of the second half played, Andrew Cole was released, and Cole like a bullet, and like a knife through the heart of the defence, raced on to beat Rhys Wilmott from what 15 yards. Magnificent goal, Lee Clark celebrates, so too ten thousand geordies on Humberside, it's Grimsby 0, Newcastle 1."

And the second still makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck:

"Kelly in on goal, David Kelly... Can he stay on his feet...? KEEEELLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! Ohhhhhhhh, what a goal! He STAYED on his feet, and David Kelly has sparked unbelievable scenes here, they are on the pitch from every quarter, they'll have to get off."

Aye, I remember that one. Brilliant.

It wasn't Mick Lowes though. John Cairns was the NUFC commentator Radio Newcastle back then.

Mick Lowes used to work for Metro radio with Mick Martin didn't he?

Yeah, but not that far back I don't think. It was a bloke called Charles Harrison who did NUFC's commentaries for Metro in those days. I used to listen to Radio Newcastle or Metro commentaries back then.

metro fm, when the mackems beat liverpool a few years ago.

'he took one bite of the cherry, and then he swallowed the lot! sunderland win! sunderland win! im going to have to stop or i think im going to give myself a hernia!'

me and me sis creased up at that

Guest hagler

i remember sometime in the 70's in the world cup .....sure it was a game that involved brazil...the commentator said...."my goodness ..he had time to light a cigarette there"

if anyone remembers more details please post

Yeah, but not that far back I don't think. It was a bloke called Charles Harrison who did NUFC's commentaries for Metro in those days. I used to listen to Radio Newcastle or Metro commentaries back then.

Correct. That was back in the days when you only used to get the 2nd half 'Live' on Metro. God knows why ?!

One I love is from Australia v Uruguay World Cup playoff final in 2005 - Simon Hill and ex-international Craig Foster on the microphone. Foster had played in three or four failed attempts to qualify for the World Cup... When Aloisi put the pen away to send us through Fozzie erupted in a "YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!" that required a second breath and totally drowned Hill out!

Nothing too extraordinary you might think, but the sheer emotion from a guy who had tried and failed so many times gives me goosebumps every time...