Fernando Torres (From The Mirror)

Optimistic Nut

Guest TampaToon

Liberty for Fernando

Atletico Madrid will spark a transfer scramble next week when confirming that striker Fernando Torres is for sale.

Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea & Arsenal have all looked at Torres, while Spurs, West Ham and Newcastle may launch a £15m bid.

Torres, 23, has scored 82 goals in 212 appearances for Madrid, with a record of 14 in 42 caps for Spain.

Atletico's failure to earn a UEFA Cup slot means they are expecting to lose their forward.

it won't be us who gets him.

Not all that unfeasible that Allardyce will be having a serious look at him if there's money to spend. Sam likes his tall, target man types who are good at playing with their back to goal and holding the ball up, which is where Torres excels.

Get rid of Owen and bring in Torres.

For those saying he'd never come here, money talks and right now the Premiership is the place to be if you want to make big money. Don't see any of the Big 4 being after him so we'd have a very good shot if we put our minds to it.

Guest johnson293

For those saying he'd never come here, money talks and right now the Premiership is the place to be if you want to make big money. Don't see any of the Big 4 being after him so we'd have a very good shot if we put our minds to it.

Erm, is that not how we ended up with one our current strikers, who doesn't really want to be here??

Erm, is that not how we ended up with one our current strikers, who doesn't really want to be here??

And we'll never ever catch the big 4 if the attitude is don't spend big.

Guest johnson293

And we'll never ever catch the big 4 if the attitude is don't spend big.

I'm not against spending big, if its on the right player(s) - but if we only got someone like Torres, just because we outbid the top 4, and offer him galactic wages, then it's like the Owen scenario all oevr again.

Just without the daft release clause(s) hopefully!!!

And our success rate with Spaniards aint the best is it???

I meant more in the general sense that wages on average are a lot higher in England than in Spain.

Obviously, signing him to an Owen-esque contract would be daft.

• 3 weeks later...

Man City in for Torres

...but he's still likely to go to Liverpool.

Chance of seeing Torres in a City shirt = 0%

Unless we swap shirts after playing Liverpool next season that is...

Don't believe these particular reports for a second but if they're true, we're never gonna get anyone by aiming as high as Torres. :idiot2:

Still think theres going to be a trophy signing tho.

Man City in for Torres

...but he's still likely to go to Liverpool.

Chance of seeing Torres in a City shirt = 0%

Unless we swap shirts after playing Liverpool next season that is...

Don't believe these particular reports for a second but if they're true, we're never gonna get anyone by aiming as high as Torres. :idiot2:

Still think theres going to be a trophy signing tho.

pity the way footballs gone eh?

everyone knows their place now more or less; it's like a sporting class/caste system

you gotsta spend years of toil dragging yourself along with one class of player before they let you join the country club, then you can consider aiming for people like torres....

the only exception, really, to this rule in recent times has been chel$ki who had to spend more money than should have been considered sane in order to speed up their joining the big boys

look at darren bent and spurs for fucks sake - how far are those clubs apart, really?  given that west ham have a SHITLOAD of money to spend they could look like a different team next season, and yet bent didn't let them through the door 'cause he was only aiming at the tier of football spurs currently occupy....teams above spurs wouldn't give him a second look 'cause he's not a big enough name

such a pity that the people who play the game we love have so little undertanding of it

Torres is a pretty good striker with bags of potential. Thing is, much like Raul in his early days, he has been hugely overrated by the Spanish press.

When Atleti were relegated in 2000 they spent two years in La Segunda before returning to La Primera. The club had been relegated despite a sqaud of talented players including the likes of Molina, Baraja, Solari, Valeron and Hasselbaink. Much in the same way as Raul, Torres came through as a local player scoring goals and working for the team and the local press loved him for it. A quick player with aeriel prowess and good finishing, who could take players on. He seemed to have it all as a young player and quickly made headlines. But since he has not developed all that much and this has led many to suggest he is grossly overrated.

The big question is, will he get better and better or is this as good as it gets? His scoring record was impressive for a 19/20/21 year old but it hasn't improved since and he's now 23. In the last two seasons he's scored 13 and 14 goals respectively, I'm not sure how many were pens but it seems like quite a few (even though he's a poor penalty taker).

For a good team he'll always get goals, but there are plenty of players like that around. He's a good player who can beat his man, good in the air, quick, he's a good finisher, very cool in one-on-one situations, theres quite a lot to his game. If he can carry on improving, who knows, but I don't think he'll ever be a world class striker and I think Liverpool are paying way over the odds. No doubt somebody will tell me I'm wrong when he scores 14 or 15 league goals but a striker costing maybe £25m+ playing for Liverpool should really do a lot better.

Will he be a hit in the Premier League? Who knows. In some ways there'll be less pressure on him (he has a reputation as an overrated player in Spain), in some ways the pricetag will crank up the pressure to perform. Although most Spaniards consider him overrated, Atletico fans aren't too happy to see him leave, so maybe that's a good sign for Liverpool. Personally I think if Atletico spend well they can build a better team. There are those who say the service to Torres is poor and he makes the best of it, there are others who say the whole team plays just for him to score a few goals. The PL's end to end play may suit someone like him, it's physicality may not.

In my view David Villa is a far, far better player and most Spaniards agree. Torres is 3 years younger but if you're going to break the bank for a Spanish striker, Villa is the one for me, even though this year wasn't his best season.

Jeebus H. Seen Torres a few times. I've never been wowed, and his goalscoring record is nowt special - Is Fernando Torres really £10m better than Darren Bent? Personally, I don't think so, and as silly as the Tottenham offer is, I think they've got better value for money this week. :idiot2:

But I suppose it puts the penny pinching rumours about the new owners to bed.

Jeebus H. Seen Torres a few times. I've never been wowed, and his goalscoring record is nowt special - Is Fernando Torres really £10m better than Darren Bent? Personally, I don't think so, and as silly as the Tottenham offer is, I think they've got better value for money this week. :idiot2:

But I suppose it puts the penny pinching rumours about the new owners to bed.

see this type of player, you'd have to think, is being bought by liverpool so he can perform in the big games

basically gerrard aside that's what liverpool have lacked especially in the EPL

chel$ki (drogba), man u (ronaldo, rooney) and arsenal (henry, ahem) all have them and i think this is what benitez is aiming at here...the type of player that performs on the big occaision basically 'cause gerrard can't do it all the time

is torres that man then?  his record against real and barca might give some indication - my memories suggest it's not great against real but good against barca....someone to confirm?

Regarding the Heinze bit, if Man Utd are reluctant to sell him to Liverpool we could always offer them an alternative. Henry have signed Abidal so their interest in him is likely to have cooled.

I remember him scoring against Real last season, remember vividly that the commentators were banging on about how he'd never done it before. I don't know about his record vs Barca.

Agree about them needing another big player. Remember arguing with Rafa the Liverpool fan on here a while back about how I thought Benitez got it wrong by going for multiple middle of the road signings like Bellamy and Pennant instead of one top drawer player. I don't think he's the one tho. He may be an exotic foriegn name but he's no a great player. I wonder if they tried for Villa or Etoo.

see this type of player, you'd have to think, is being bought by liverpool so he can perform in the big games

basically gerrard aside that's what liverpool have lacked especially in the EPL

chel$ki (drogba), man u (ronaldo, rooney) and arsenal (henry, ahem) all have them and i think this is what benitez is aiming at here...the type of player that performs on the big occaision basically 'cause gerrard can't do it all the time

is torres that man then?  his record against real and barca might give some indication - my memories suggest it's not great against real but good against barca....someone to confirm?

Although he's still young, he doesn't come across as a typical 'big game player' a la Gerrard at all. In fact I think it took him something like 9 games against Real Madrid before he scored a goal.

My prediction is he'll get about 14 or 15 league goals, something decent but not amazing considering it's Liverpool. I think he'll find this league a tougher one than Spain (his physical presence over there means nothing over here) but he'll be playing for a better team.

Guest Magpiecn

I will doubt Torres' future if he come to EPL.Many Spanish players failed aftering playing in EPL.Spanish players' type isnt suitable for here.EPL players need strengh and speed.In comparison,Spanish players are not strongh enough.