Liverpool have no money to spend?

Dokko

anyway... back on topic...

I find it funny that it seems the money isn't there for Liverpool to spend.  Shuts up the pool fans in work who keep telling me that they are going to get Torres and win the league next season.

Kevin Phillips once won the European Golden Boot putting him in the same category as Gerd Muller, Eusebio, Thierry Henry, Ronaldo & Marco van Basten.

Can you see how ridiculous that looks? :lol:

:lol:

I like how Kingdawson pulls up Jenas scoring record as if that proves he's some sort of great player, only to not see the irony in saying Kevin Nolan is an average midfielder who scores goals.

As you conveniantly forgott, i also mention the countless other skills Jenas possesses in his game. Other then scoring goals can you please tell me what else Nolan does??

Nolan's dominant in the air, has decent link up play and he also works his bollocks off battling for the ball, he's still average though as his passing and movement are poor.

Jenas is good at stretching play and running from deep, he's poor in the air and he's a poor passer unless he's passing it backwards or sideways, he's also a soft s****.

Both average midfielders who chip in with a few goals, neither a patch on Joey Barton.

it all just comes down to bias

allardyce swore blind nolan should play for england, SBR did the same for jenarse, pearce did the same for barton

rose tinted spectacles tbh

How am I being bias saying Jenas and Nolan are two average midfielders who score goals?

You're being biased by saying Barton is better then both of them.

No bias at all, if you ask any fan from the majority of other Premiership clubs they'd agree with me, most recognize Barton as a top player who they wouldn't want because of his off field problems.

You've even said Spurs should buy him as he's the next best thing to Gerrard or words to that affect, do you think Jenas is better than Barton? If so what are your reasons?

Nah Barton is a far better player then Jenas and is probably one of the most under-rated centre midfielders in the league imo. Only thing Jenas has over Barton is goalscoring and he's probably a bit more energetic then Barton.

Tbh i think Barton is probably the second most talented English cm there is (behind Gerrard) but to say Nolan and Jenas are equal in terms of ability is laughable.

I think Nolan and Jenas are average, that's just my opinion as a neutral.

I wouldn't say Jenas was a better goalscorer, he may have a slightly better goals to games ratio last season but I'd take into account the teams they play in, Spurs scored a load last season in all competitions where as Man City only managed 29 goals last season in the league, I'd like to think if Barton came here and we get our act together, he could goon and score more than he did at City.

Slightly better??

Barton has managed 17 goals in 142 games for city (15 goals in 123 games in the league)

Jenas has managed 15 goals in 65 games for spurs (12 goals in 53 games in the league)

Add to that Barton has also made 11 substitute appearances whilst Jenas has only made 1. To say that you disagree that Jenas is the better goalscorer out of the two is a bit of a joke really no matter what reasons you give.

So you're taking Bartons whole career at City which stretches back years to judge his goalscoring ability, yet are happy just to use the 2 years Jenas has been at Spurs for his?! :lol:

But my argument has always been that Jenas has improved as a player since comming to spurs so i see absolutly no point using his Newcastle record.

Your argument has nothing to do with this when you're comparing their goalscoring ability, you either use both players stats from the past 2 years if you want to use Jenas' time at Spurs only or you use both players top flight stats if you want to judge them over their career.

Not cherry pick stats to prove your point like you've done.

But Jenas's goalscoring stats for the past 2 years still beats Barton's hands down so i fail to see how you can disagree that Jenas is the better goalscorer out of the two.

f****** hell, this has to be an act as I can't believe anyone is this stupid.

I said Jenas may have a slightly better goals to games ratio which is what he's got.

Jenas - 12 goals in 55 games.

Barton - 12 goals in 64 games.

Very clever getting Personnel Baggio, proves how hard you are :rolleyes: :rolleyes:.

As well as saying that you also said that you disagree that Jenas is a better goalscorer then Barton even though his career goal ratio and his recent goals to game ratio beats Barton's. I fail to see how you can disagree with my statement when the facts are plain to see. Whatever though mate, carry on being deluded :thup:.

I said Barton may go on to score more goals in a better team as Man City hardly score any, is that really so hard for you to get your head around?

Do you think Darren Bent will score more goals in a better team? If so why? Chances are because he'll have more chances created for him in a better team than he does at Charlton, same applies for Barton who scored over 20% of Man City's goals from midfield last season.

Btw didn't you argue Drogba was a better finisher than Henry even though he hadn't scored as many?

Kevin Phillips once won the European Golden Boot putting him in the same category as Gerd Muller, Eusebio, Thierry Henry, Ronaldo & Marco van Basten.

I like how Kingdawson pulls up Jenas scoring record as if that proves he's some sort of great player, only to not see the irony in saying Kevin Nolan is an average midfielder who scores goals.

As you conveniantly forgott, i also mention the countless other skills Jenas possesses in his game. Other then scoring goals can you please tell me what else Nolan does??

Nolan's dominant in the air, has decent link up play and he also works his bollocks off battling for the ball, he's still average though as his passing and movement are poor.

Jenas is good at stretching play and running from deep, he's poor in the air and he's a poor passer unless he's passing it backwards or sideways, he's also a soft s****.

Both average midfielders who chip in with a few goals, neither a patch on Joey Barton.

allardyce swore blind nolan should play for england, SBR did the same for jenarse, pearce did the same for barton

How am I being bias saying Jenas and Nolan are two average midfielders who score goals?

No bias at all, if you ask any fan from the majority of other Premiership clubs they'd agree with me, most recognize Barton as a top player who they wouldn't want because of his off field problems.

You've even said Spurs should buy him as he's the next best thing to Gerrard or words to that affect, do you think Jenas is better than Barton? If so what are your reasons?

Nah Barton is a far better player then Jenas and is probably one of the most under-rated centre midfielders in the league imo. Only thing Jenas has over Barton is goalscoring and he's probably a bit more energetic then Barton.

Tbh i think Barton is probably the second most talented English cm there is (behind Gerrard) but to say Nolan and Jenas are equal in terms of ability is laughable.

I wouldn't say Jenas was a better goalscorer, he may have a slightly better goals to games ratio last season but I'd take into account the teams they play in, Spurs scored a load last season in all competitions where as Man City only managed 29 goals last season in the league, I'd like to think if Barton came here and we get our act together, he could goon and score more than he did at City.

Slightly better??

Barton has managed 17 goals in 142 games for city (15 goals in 123 games in the league)

Jenas has managed 15 goals in 65 games for spurs (12 goals in 53 games in the league)

Add to that Barton has also made 11 substitute appearances whilst Jenas has only made 1. To say that you disagree that Jenas is the better goalscorer out of the two is a bit of a joke really no matter what reasons you give.

So you're taking Bartons whole career at City which stretches back years to judge his goalscoring ability, yet are happy just to use the 2 years Jenas has been at Spurs for his?! :lol:

But my argument has always been that Jenas has improved as a player since comming to spurs so i see absolutly no point using his Newcastle record.

Your argument has nothing to do with this when you're comparing their goalscoring ability, you either use both players stats from the past 2 years if you want to use Jenas' time at Spurs only or you use both players top flight stats if you want to judge them over their career.

But Jenas's goalscoring stats for the past 2 years still beats Barton's hands down so i fail to see how you can disagree that Jenas is the better goalscorer out of the two.

I said Jenas may have a slightly better goals to games ratio which is what he's got.

Very clever getting Personnel Baggio, proves how hard you are :rolleyes: :rolleyes:.

As well as saying that you also said that you disagree that Jenas is a better goalscorer then Barton even though his career goal ratio and his recent goals to game ratio beats Barton's. I fail to see how you can disagree with my statement when the facts are plain to see. Whatever though mate, carry on being deluded :thup:.

Out of order. Admit you were wrong, their goal scoring ratio is similar, Jenas's is better but only just and stop being rude to people with far more brains than you.

Couple of little girls TBH.

IMO Barton is better than Jenas because;

He's a better passer

Has a higher work rate

Scored the same amount of goals in a poorer team, therefore is a better goalscorer.

Doesn't make Goldfish bowl references

Is younger

Doesn't do circles in the pitch like parker

Starting to run out now

Funny thing how neither Barton nor Jenas play for Liverpool nor do they have anything to do with Liverpool's spending capability.

Get a room ffs.

A just read this page and tried to settle it.

Would have more luck finding a slag in a church TBH.

Funny thing how neither Barton nor Jenas play for Liverpool nor do they have anything to do with Liverpool's spending capability.

Get a room ffs.

A just read this page and tried to settle it.

Would have more luck finding a slag in a church TBH.

Gavin did.

Guest kingdawson

Slightly better??

I said Barton may go on to score more goals in a better team as Man City hardly score any, is that really so hard for you to get your head around?

Do you think Darren Bent will score more goals in a better team? If so why? Chances are because he'll have more chances created for him in a better team than he does at Charlton, same applies for Barton who scored over 20% of Man City's goals from midfield last season.

Btw didn't you argue Drogba was a better finisher than Henry even though he hadn't scored as many?

1) Well then wouldnt your argument be that Barton COULD BE a better goalscorer then Jenas IF he was playing for a better team?

2) Actually i dont think Darren Bent will score more goals if he played for a bigger team. At charlton he is the teams focal attacking point and everything goes through him. He is one of only 4 players that has scored 30+ goals in 2 seasons in the premiership (Rooney, Drogba and Henry being the other) and it also helps that Charlton adopt a 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation. Did Bellamy score more at liverpool then he did at Blackburn? Did Saha score more goals for Manchester united then he did at Fulham? Did Yorke score more goals for manchester united then he did for Villa? Did Sheringham score more goals for Manchester united then he did for spurs?

3) Tbh i dont recall saying that but seeing as you seem to remember everything i say i most probably did.

Guest kingdawson

Slightly better??

Out of order. Admit you were wrong, their goal scoring ratio is similar, Jenas's is better but only just and stop being rude to people with far more brains than you.

Whats out of order??

1) Well then wouldnt your argument be that Barton COULD BE a better goalscorer then Jenas IF he was playing for a better team?

Isn't that what I said?

"I wouldn't say Jenas was a better goalscorer, he may have a slightly better goals to games ratio last season but I'd take into account the teams they play in, Spurs scored a load last season in all competitions where as Man City only managed 29 goals last season in the league, I'd like to think if Barton came here and we get our act together, he could go on and score more than he did at City."

Guest kingdawson

Isn't that what I said?

"I wouldn't say Jenas was a better goalscorer, he may have a slightly better goals to games ratio last season but I'd take into account the teams they play in, Spurs scored a load last season in all competitions where as Man City only managed 29 goals last season in the league, I'd like to think if Barton came here and we get our act together, he could go on and score more than he did at City."

Yes you did but you also said that you disagree that Jenas is the better goalscorer out of the two which is a blatant contradiction no matter what way you look at it.

What about my other point Baggio, not going to say anything about that?

Isn't that what I said?

Yes you did but you also said that you disagree that Jenas is the better goalscorer out of the two which is a blatant contradiction no matter what way you look at it.

I didn't read your other comments tbh, nor do I have any intention of doing so either.

Guest kingdawson

Isn't that what I said?

I didn't read your other comments tbh, nor do I have any intention of doing so either.

Funny that you decide to ask me a question then when i answer it you decide not to read it :rolleyes:. I guess getting proven wrong must hurt.  In future i suggest you stop directing stuff at me then decide to take the moral high road when things arent going your way. Youve done it countless times already and its boring now.

Actually that's rude of me so I'll give it a go.

"2) Actually i dont think Darren Bent will score more goals if he played for a bigger team. At charlton he is the teams focal attacking point and everything goes through him. He is one of only 4 players that has scored 30+ goals in 2 seasons in the premiership (Rooney, Drogba and Henry being the other) and it also helps that Charlton adopt a 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation. Did Bellamy score more at liverpool then he did at Blackburn? Did Saha score more goals for Manchester united then he did at Fulham? Did Yorke score more goals for manchester united then he did for Villa? Did Sheringham score more goals for Manchester united then he did for spurs?"

Dwight Yorke's best season league goalscoring wise was at Man Utd in 99/2000.

Bellamy has hardly been a regular at Liverpool and often played out on the right.

Saha played the majority of his time at Fulham playing in the Championship, his time at man Utd has seen him miss the majority of games through injury.

Sherinham didn't, which is why I said I'd hope Barton would rather than he definitely would.

How about having a bet on it, Kingdawson?

I bet you Barton will have a better goals to games ratio for us than Jenas will have for you lot next season. Fancy it?

Isn't that what I said?

Funny that you decide to ask me a question then when i answer it you decide not to read it :rolleyes:. I guess getting proven wrong must hurt.  In future i suggest you stop directing stuff at me then decide to take the moral high road when things arent going your way. Youve done it countless times already and its boring now.

seen as this thread if shot to shit already can I ask dawson and no I do not want to start a debate but out of interest seen as you must have signed up to a newcastle forum for a reason.

Is there any first team players in our side currently you would make a straight swap for one of the spuds first team?

Isn't that what I said?

How have you proved me wrong?

I've said Jenas has a slightly better goals to games ratio but that I'd hope Barton would improve on his playing in a better team, you've tried to prove me wrong by cherrypicking Jenas' stats over the past 2 years where he's scored a few and put it up against Bartons from when he broke into the team as a trainee, after I pointed out you were wrong about that you've gone on to change it to me saying something else.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=472592&CPID=8&clid=14&lid=2&title=Gillett+planning+Reds+moves&channel=football_home&

Gillett planning Reds moves

By Peter ORourke -  Created on 19 Jun 2007

Liverpool co-owner George Gillett insists the club are making plans to bring in new signings.

The Reds have been quiet in the transfer market so far with reports suggesting Rafa Benitez was becoming disgruntled with the lack of activity.

Gillett is aware of the pressure to bring in new faces and he has rejected rumours of possible unrest with Benitez.

The American tycoon says now that they have tied down key players to new contracts they will turn their attention to signing new players.

"I sense a pressure building to make signings," Gillett told The Mirror. "The fans know that we have huge regard for Rafa.

"We are pleased with Rafa and his strategy.

"The first part of the plan was to sign a number of our existing star players on long-term contracts.

"That has been done. Now we're moving on to phase two, which is bringing players in."

Just sounds like Yank BS to me.

Were moving onto phase two!  :lol:

So he needed to tie down players, who love the club, would never leave anyway and had 2 years plus on there contracts before being able to sign anyone.  :idiot2:

Why?  :undecided:

Its all a bit suspect to me.

They had to sign those players because of the new FIFA ruling that meant they could 'cancel' their contract if it has two years left or something like that. Totally understandable why they would want to sort that out now, especially since they probably promised the players something like 'we'll sign him and him, and yea him too'. Imagine what would happen if they tried the other way around and not gotten the big signings? Gerrard, Carragher etc. surely would have second thoughts of whether to re-sign or not.

Anyhow, saying that, I'm still hoping that they'll be relegated next season :D

They had to sign those players because of the new FIFA ruling that meant they could 'cancel' their contract if it has two years left or something like that. Totally understandable why they would want to sort that out now, especially since they probably promised the players something like 'we'll sign him and him, and yea him too'. Imagine what would happen if they tried the other way around and not gotten the big signings? Gerrard, Carragher etc. surely would have second thoughts of whether to re-sign or not.

Anyhow, saying that, I'm still hoping that they'll be relegated next season :D

Gerrard isn't old enough to do that yet is he? (sure its over 28 and last two years on contract can be bought out)

Reina certainly isn't, and he signed nearly two weeks ago, what been going on since then?

Carragher is so fair enough, but his and Gerrards deals were done even before Reina's, so again, what has been going on between 'phase one' and 'phase two'  :lol:

No idea about Reina mate, but I'm pretty sure Gerrard's contract could have been bought out for £5.5m after the end of next season, so I'm pretty sure that's why they had to resign him asap.

It is certainly a good thing watching them implode in a way. If Rafa leaves, it'll set back the club by 2 or 3 years since a few of the players aren't good enough but it's only Rafa who's making it work somehow. Good times :D

• 4 years later...

The best thread i could find for this.

http://fourfourtwo.com/blogs/fourfourtwoview/archive/2011/10/05/meet-the-club-that-paid-163-7-5-million-per-premier-league-point.aspx

Below you’ll find a rather interesting league table. It shows the price that 10 Premier League club owners have paid for each and every point their club has won since they took over. Take a look…

(Table on link)

So how much would you pay for a Premier League point? Any Premier League club owners care to answer?

Now, we’re not stupid: we know the science we’ve applied isn’t going to win the Nobel Prize anytime soon. But as a snapshot of the current situation in Premier League boardrooms, it’s fascinating stuff.

Though Liverpool top a table that John W Henry would surely rather they didn’t, you’d guess he won’t be too upset. Having splashed out to buy the club 12 months ago, then invested in players to make them competitive again, he’ll feel confident that the points will pile up and the price per point will rapidly drop.

Find out where John W Henry is in the Football Rich List 2011/12

Ditto Sheikh Mansour – if he cares at all.

After all, in this particular league, once you’ve bought your club, the only way is down. Even Roman Abramovich is under £2m per point now.

The big losers: Arsenal & Everton

But what of Stanley Kroenke at Arsenal, third in the list, having spent £1 million more PER POINT than both Manchester United and Chelsea, but still struggling to compete for silverware.

Or Everton, the paupers across Stanley Park. At £48,000 per point, the Toffees even manage to make Tottenham Hotspur look profligate.

And the revelation, just four days after another derby defeat, that Liverpool have spent 156 TIMES MORE per point can only increase the pressure on an Everton board already facing serious criticism for their failure to invest.

Find out where Bill Kenright is in the Football Rich List 2011/12

In the context of our price per point league table, a 2-0 defeat to Liverpool looks admirable. But not many in the Gwladys Street End will see it that way.

Did you know?

This bit won’t stand up to any mathematical interrogation whatsoever. But it’s harmless enough. At £7.5m per point…

• Liverpool would have had to stump up £301m to guarantee avoiding relegation last season.

• Or £608m to win the Premier League title.

• Luis Suarez only needs to earn Liverpool 3 points this season to pay back his transfer fee.

• And Charlie Adam only needs to earn 1 point to pay back his transfer fee (though some would say he owes another 3 points after that sending off against Spurs).

Club-by-club breakdown: how we worked it out

Liverpool

Since October 15 2010, Liverpool FC has been owned by Fenway Sports Group (which in turn is owned by American, John W Henry). Fenway paid £300m for the club, and have spent a further £144m on it in the interim, resulting in a total spending figure of £444m. In the short time period since this ownership began, Liverpool have scored 59 Premier League points making Fenway’s cost per point £7,525,423.73.

Manchester City

Sheikh Mansour became the owner of the Manchester City football club on September 23 2008, paying £210m to take control of the club. Since then he’s poured £793m into the club, bringing his total spending to a staggering £1.003 billion. Since then, City have notched up  a total of 188 premier league points, meaning Mansour has paid the grand sum of £5,335,106.38 for every league point.

Sunderland

Ellis Short has invested £300m into Sunderland since taking it over in May 2009. The club has only won a total of 93 points since then, creating a hefty sum of £2,257,526.88 for every point earned.

Arsenal

Stanley Kroenke’s Arsenal shares are  worth around £731m. In the period since he first bought shares in the North London club in 2007, Arsenal have picked up 298 Premier League points, resulting in a price of £2,453,020.13 per point.

Manchester United

US billionaire Malcolm Glazer controversially bought Manchester United for £790m in May 2005. Since then he has invested nothing in the club, the funds for transfers being self-generating. Yet Manchester United has gone on to win 523 League points, resulting in a total expenditure of £1,510,516.25 for every point.

Chelsea

Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich bought Chelsea for £140m in June 2003 and has since spent £816.5m on the club, bringing his total expenditure to £956.5m. In the eight years since the transaction took place, Chelsea have won 680 Premier League points resulting in a total cost of £1,406,617.65 for every point.

Aston Villa

American entrepreneur Randy Lerner bought Aston Villa for £62.6m in August 2006, and has put a further £223m into the club since. Villa have won 289 Premier League points in Lerner’s five years, making the price of every point £988,235.29.

Fulham

Infamous as the previous owner of Harrods, Mohamed Al-Fayed, added Fulham FC to his portfolio back in the summer of 1997. He paid £6.25m for the club and has since put around £203.6m into it. In the 14 years since he bought it, Fulham has earned a total of 460 Premier League points meaning that Al-Fayed has paid a comparatively cheap £456,195.65 per point.

Tottenham Hotspur

ENIC Group owner Joe Lewis first bought shares in Tottenham Hotspur in 2001 and, by 2011, owned 85 percent of the club. The club was worth £150m then, and has earned 564 League point since, which works out at £303,191.49 per point, including Lewis’s subsequent investments.

Everton

Everton chairman Bill Kenwright paid a relatively small £20m for the club. Since he became majority shareholder in 2004, the Toffees have earned 415 League points. That works out at the cheapest price per point in the 2010/11 top 10 Premier League clubs: just £48,192.77.