St James' Park

Guest smoggeordie

from wikipedia, if true:

"While the name of the stadium does not take an 's' after the apostrophe, in earlier years it generally did; indeed match day programmes printed up until the late 1940s have it written as St James's Park. The name now is officially St James' Park, although the majority of people still pronounce it in with the additional possessive 's'."

and

"It is the only stadium in the FA Premier League to not have a scoreboard of any kind."

i didn't know either, but then why would i?

if the first is true i wonder what prompted the change?

could put one at the back of the east stand like, although it'd not do everyone obviously

That's what I was thinking, would depend on what the club do when the expansion starts though I guess.

I can't see how you would get one of the back of the East Stand.

Wouldn't put it at the back, sort of on the roof, if that makes sense. Though it wouldn't look too good if the stand stays as it is with 'Newcastle United' on it. Again, no point thinking about it now, the stadium expansion will change things around a bit.

So nobody else paid attention in school then?

James' is not correct, despite what the club says, I've already explained why. It's no wonder people believe we're all undereducated.

could put one at the back of the east stand like, although it'd not do everyone obviously

That's what I was thinking, would depend on what the club do when the expansion starts though I guess.

interesting thing on that wikipedia thing which was something about being able to build the gallowgate up to level 7 also, which we know, but then about joining the roofs of the leazes and gallowgate in order to make it look better and squeeze in some more executive boxes

it wasn't saying it's gonna happen just that it's an option as a development thing due to the listed buildings behind the east stand

i'd never heard that before, be interesting to see what it would/might look like eh?

We really should get a scoreboard installed to be fair.

Not sure where we could put it though.

Hang it from the top of the Leazes?

...when it would have to be moved soon?

I'll repeat, in capitals

YOU ONLY DROP THE FUCKING FOLLOWING S IF IT BELONGS TO A FUCKING PLURAL. JAMES IS NOT CUNTING PLURAL.

Thank you.

it could be

how do you know there is not more than one St. James?

That's not the point, James is a name, it is singular but happens to end in an s.

I'm annoyed by how much this annoys me now. Anyway, the club are incorrect in usage, but at one time used the apostrophe correctly, now I need a lie down (as I'm hungover)

That's not the point, James is a name, it is singular but happens to end in an s.

I'm annoyed by how much this annoys me now. Anyway, the club are incorrect in usage, but at one time used the apostrophe correctly, now I need a lie down (as I'm hungover)

so does anyone know why it changed?

There is more than one St. James

It is their park

therefore it is St. James' Park

Just guessing, someone involved with printing tickets wasn't so clear on the rules of English either.

I apologise wholeheartedly for taking it that seriously, I have got into a heated row about the order of the actresses playing the eldest daughter in Roseanne before.

It is their park

Nonsense and you know it.

It is their park

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_James

It is their park

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_James

The fact there's been several men called James who have been canonised is irrelevant, The NUFC stadium does not refer to several people, as is shown by the fact that it used to be written as St James's Park.