St James' Park

Guest smoggeordie

Is this a pointless enough thread to give a heads-up about The Seven Ages Of Rock: Stadium Rock, 9pm, BBC2?

Led Zep involved, some may be interested, even if they don't know how to use apostrophes.

Guest posadageordie

I miss the crumbling old Gallowgate west corner, with the floodlights obsuring the view and some shitehawk pissing down the back of my trousers as we drew 0-0 with Oxford in the rain.

Ok, I asked my Mam who's an English teacher and she said:

All that can be said for sure is that it is not St James’

It can be St James (with no apostrophe) if there is not possessive intended (you don’t say Hyde’s Park, Preston’s Park, Chelsea’s Park) so if the people who named the park did not intend to say that it was his (St James) park, but only to name it after him, St James with no apostrophe is the grammatically correct version.  The Victoria and Albert Museum is not their museum, but one named after them.

If the people who named the park did intend to imply that it was his park, the only possible spelling is St James’s.

St James’ is certainly grammatically wrong.

I know that it is "St James' Park", but it shouldn't be, abcdefg was right.

It can be St James (with no apostrophe) if there is not possessive intended (you don’t say Hyde’s Park, Preston’s Park, Chelsea’s Park) so if the people who named the park did not intend to say that it was his (St James) park, but only to name it after him, St James with no apostrophe is the grammatically correct version.  The Victoria and Albert Museum is not their museum, but one named after them.

If the people who named the park did intend to imply that it was his park, the only possible spelling is St James’s.

Exclusive. Internet site reveals club can't spell stadium name.

Exclusive. Internet site reveals club can't spell stadium name.

Remember who told you first...

...erm, abcdefg.

I always thought there was something wrong with writing St James', it didn't make sense to me but I am not a grammar expert by any means. Glad I read that post.

But it still sounds right to say St James's and not St James, so I know what I will be writing in future.

At the ground where Newcastle play..  :D

Victory is mine!

On an unrelated note, you know the fascinating facts you get on the back of bottles of Brown? Why is it I only ever see the one about the star representing the five breweries? It's not even an interesting fact.

Victory is mine!

On an unrelated note, you know the fascinating facts you get on the back of bottles of Brown? Why is it I only ever see the one about the star representing the five breweries? It's not even an interesting fact.

Leave the money in the usual place. ;)