Beckham

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sicko2ndbest

Allardyce retains Beckham hopesJun 19 2007

By Paul Gilder, The Journal

Sam Allardyce will keep a close eye on David Beckham's career in California after admitting he has not abandoned his ambitious bid to make the midfielder a Newcastle player next season.

Beckham's spell in Spain ended with a Primera Liga title at the weekend and, although the 32-year-old will join LA Galaxy's MLS campaign next month, his schedule in the United States could enable him to make a sensational return to the Premier League in 2007's opening weeks.

Although head coach Frank Yallop does not favour the idea, Alexi Lalas - the Galaxy's general manager - is amenable to Beckham returning to Europe on loan when the American domestic season comes to an end in November.

With his club's permission, the former England captain would be able to make such a move once January's transfer window opens. And although such a situation would depend on several incalculables, it seems as though Allardyce is determined to make his intentions known to the player's representatives at the earliest opportunity.

"I've always thought he (Beckham) could do a job in the Premiership, if he becomes available I would gladly take him on loan at Newcastle," the Magpies boss told Zoo magazine. "That's something that can only be discussed at a later date, but if he carries on the way he is going on, there will be plenty of people who want to acquire his services.

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

"Henrik Larsson (who spent three months on loan at Manchester United last season) proved you can make an impact by coming on a short-term loan to the Premiership. David could definitely make a big impression.

"His season in America will be over in November, so technically he might be able to come and play in Europe then, but he'll need a good break first. He's only having a couple of weeks holiday before he goes to LA Galaxy this summer, so by November he'll have to have another break.

"Then it will be between LA Galaxy and him to decide whether he (can) come back here on loan, or whether he has too many off-field commitments."

It will be up to Yallop and Lalas, but Beckham is understood to be determined to taste Premier League action again before he hangs up his boots.

Given the impressive manner in which the departing Real Madrid star performed following his recent international recall, Allardyce will not be alone in formulating such a plan. That Beckham has proved his doubters wrong in recent weeks is beyond question.

"When David decided to go to America, it looked like he had no future with either Real Madrid or England," said the Newcastle boss in his latest column for Zoo. "But David has always known he could still play at the top level. Only other people questioned that - Steve (McClaren, the England coach) decided to move on with England and (Real boss Fabio) Capello thought he was surplus to requirements at Madrid."

Such will be the interest in securing Beckham's services in 2007, Allardyce appears to have been astute in outlining his intentions at such an early stage. Having done so, the 52-year-old can concentrate on more immediate matters as he strives to add to the signings of Mark Viduka from Middlesbrough and Joey Barton from Manchester City.

Adding defensive strength to his first-team squad is his chief concern and, having lost Tal Ben Haim to Chelsea, Allardyce is determined to make a breakthrough.

Paris-Saint Germain's David Rozehnal remains on his wanted list, although despite claims from the Czech's agent United are in pole position, officials at the Parc des Princes last night said Borussia Dortmund is Rozehnal's likely destination.

Newcastle have been linked with Barcelona's Ludovic Giuly, but following Allardyce's assertion he is not interested, the Frenchman last night said : "I want to remain at Barcelona - if that's what I desire, no one will be able to transfer me."

Guest Ridzuan

Never heard of Zoo magazine before? Its seems funny to me that such magazine would write something on football.If there is indeed a magazine,then I think it should start writing about other issues relating to the name.

Guest Ridzuan

:lol:

Excuse me if I choose not to believe it as an accurate source for transfer rumours.

Oh there is one? Me bad.But still Im with you on this,i dont trust the source especially if it has the word 'Zoo' as the name of the magazine.

Wouldn't want him here.

Hopefully he'll stay in Hollywood do a few Disney films and the Beckham mongfest will die down, apart from England games..

:lol:

Excuse me if I choose not to believe it as an accurate source for transfer rumours.

ha ha, not read it for ages but when i did you could tell whatever interviews or info they had was from the week before so they'd be saying something was gonna happen when it was printed, but by the time it was out the total opposite transfer had gone through

not bad for the eye candy though

It is just the media circus that would put me off. He is a good player playing well at the moment. The media love to jump on anything Newcastle so you add Beckham to the mix then we'll dominate the news.

Not sure what the stint in the US would do for him, I can't see him playing at the same intensity as he has done for Madrid the past few months and when Beckham loses that intensity he loses a big part of his game.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I am sure had he been in this kind of form earlier in the season he would be still a Madrid play and the whole US thing would be a couple of years away.