More publicity (of a negative kind)

sempuki

From The Sun:

Baron 'gave Toon stars coke'

By ROBIN PERRIE

June 21, 2007

AN undercover cop told yesterday how his year-long investigation uncovered claims that a drug boss supplied some Newcastle United players with cocaine.

The officer, identified only as Vinnie, said he infiltrated gangs in the North East and learned they were forging links with Colombian gangs based in London.

He also heard an allegation that former Toon striker Tino Asprilla — a Colombian international — was involved in supplying drugs.

Vinnie said he became a close contact of “ruthless” gang leader George Younes, 51.

He introduced him to drug barons including Alan Fisher, 53 — jailed for six years last summer for conspiracy to supply cocaine. Vinnie recalled: “Younes said Fisher supplied the top Newcastle footballers and businessmen with cocaine.”

Younes tried to boost trade by buying top quality cocaine from the London gangs. He and Vinnie met two Colombians outside Clapham Tube station, south west London, when more cocaine was bought. A further kilo changed hands three days later for £30,000.

Police swooped. Newcastle Crown Court heard Colombian Osmiro Mendez, 38, was accused of being the link man.

When officers searched his home in Consett, Co Durham, they found a picture of him by a swimming pool with Asprilla and a Colombian police chief — all three holding assault rifles.

Mendez said he was a close pal of Asprilla, 37, a Newcastle star from 1996 to 1998. He added through an interpreter: “I was going to training sessions. I was very friendly with all the players including Alan Shearer and the trainer Kevin Keegan.”

There was no suggestion Shearer or Keegan had any drug link.

Mendez denied conspiracy to supply class A drugs and was cleared after a nine-week trial.

Younes, of Killingworth, North Tyneside, was jailed for 17 years for offences including supplying and conspiracy to supply cocaine.

Judge Michael Cartlidge told him: “You are the most devious, deceitful, dishonest, greedy, selfish, ruthless person I have come across in a long time.”

The court heard Italian restaurateur Franco Pizzuti, now jailed for drugs offences, had said Asprilla was involved — but there was no evidence. And no names of the Newcastle footballers alleged to have been supplied by Fisher were given in court.

Guest elbee909

Ah, so the dirty foreigner Tino was involved - NO EVIDENCE THOUGH - while there's no suggestion upstanding Englishmen Shearer and Keegan were involved.  Despite there being exactly the same amount of evidence where they were concerned.  Hmm.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Ah, so the dirty foreigner Tino was involved - NO EVIDENCE THOUGH - while there's no suggestion upstanding Englishmen Shearer and Keegan were involved.  Despite there being exactly the same amount of evidence where they were concerned.  Hmm.

'

wtf are you on about? 'I was friendly with Shearer/Keegan' is hardly the same as 'Tino was involved in supplying drugs'

Guest graemeh72

I doubt Tino would be involved in the "supply"

...he'd have it all himself ...... maybe...possibly....like

Guest graemeh72

Not one shred of evidence supporting the allegation that top toon players were given cocaine by 'the baron' I notice

Good lawyer, going by the judges comment

Judge Michael Cartlidge told him: “You are the most devious, deceitful, dishonest, greedy, selfish, ruthless person I have come across in a long time.”

Not one shred of evidence supporting the allegation that top toon players were given cocaine by 'the baron' I notice

Good lawyer, going by the judges comment

Please stop going off topic.  There's already a thread about Souness  :D

They must have been raking it in if one of them was living in Killingworth and the other was living in Consett.