Signing from Premiership clubs.

Optimistic Nut

Was just thinking, when was the last time we actually bought a player from a similar level club to us in the Premiership who was first-choice? Been thinking and I can only think back to Ferguson & Speed from Everton in 1998! With the new money, I'd like to see Allardyce buying some first-teamers, even if it means paying a few million over the odds (I mean players like Yobo & Richards).

Exactly. If we do have a crazy budget either this year or next, I'd have no qualms whatsoever about paying £8m for Yobo or Barry or whoever.

Yobo yes, although I rate him now (although never used to see the fuss) I am not sure we need Barry.

Guest Triglett

You bought Parker and Duff from Chelsea  :uglystupid2:

Were they first-choice?

They would have been first choice at any 'similar level club'. Can't really doubt their quality TBH.

They cost a bomb but they generally do deliver as you say. Arteta at Everton and Richards at Man City stand out for me. Woodgate came under that category.

Leeds were in the bottom 4 or 5 heading down and needed to sell though, while we were top 3 pushing for the title at the time.

Well, it's not really a smart move to sell one your better players to your rivals, you don't see the top 4 buying off each other very often, it's not a surprise to see us or any club making few purchases of rival players.

Exactly. If we do have a crazy budget either this year or next, I'd have no qualms whatsoever about paying £8m for Yobo or Barry or whoever.

Yeah, Yobo who signed a new contract instead of going to Arsenal would jump at a move to Newcastle.

And he'd cost the same as Matt Upson.

Guest optimistic nit

the man has a point people, however hillariously easy it is to pick holes in his hypothesis!

Guest Triglett

the man has a point people, however hillariously easy it is to pick holes in his hypothesis!

How often does this happen with any club in reality though?

Guest optimistic nit

you bought jenas (shit, but still a first teamer in a similar level club). manure bought carrick, chelsea bought a lot of people, you bought steed...

barton and viduka are not from clubs at same level as us as city and boro r useless

:idiot2:

12 Middlesbrough 38 12 10 16 44 49 -5 46

13 Newcastle United 38 11 10 17 38 47 -9 43

14 Manchester City 38 11 9 18 29 44 -15 42