Dein turned Newcastle down?

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sicko2ndbest

Wenger tells Gunners: Get Dein back or I'll quit

Arsene Wenger will tell the Arsenal board he will only sign a new contract if David Dein is brought back to the club.

The manager is set to meet with chairman Peter Hill- Wood and managing director Keith Edelman this week to try to thrash out his future.

Wenger has one year left on his contract, and his refusal to commit to Emirates Stadium beyond 2008 was one of the key factors that persuaded Thierry Henry to move to Barcelona.

Dein's departure in April was another reason given by the French striker for his decision to end his eight-year stint with the Gunners.

Wenger was also unhappy with the manner of the former vice-chairman's exit from Arsenal and is now set to make Dein's return a key issue in his contract negotiations.

The 57-year-old is not going to rush into making any decision on his future and is likely to sit tight until Christmas.

Dein is in a similar position. He has kept a low profile since leaving Arsenal and turned down the chance to return to football when offered a job by the new majority shareholder at Newcastle, Mike Ashley.

Dein still believes he will return to the club he helped to build into Double winners, but the circumstances are not right at the moment.

American tycoon Stanley Kroenke has expressed his dissatisfaction at the events of the weekend and told the Arsenal board to make it their priority to secure Wenger's future.

Kroenke, who paid £50million for a

12.19 per cent stake in the club two months ago, has now requested a meeting with leading shareholder Danny Fiszman.

Kroenke met Hill-Wood and Edelman in New York only 10 days ago but he now wants a better idea of the club's plans for

to the Invisibles

morning before finalising his £16m move. The Bolton striker has expressed a desire to return to Arsenal but some at the club have still not forgiven the player for the nature of his acrimonious exit in 1999, when he engineered a move to Real Madrid.

Wilson insisted the situation needs to be sorted out as quickly as possible. He said: "The board need to make up their mind, with Arsene's guidance, whether they can carry on with the finances that come from the new stadium and the sale of Highbury or go the American way like Manchester United and Liverpool.

"I have no doubt that Arsene will honour his current contract, beyond that I can't say. But the club have given him everything that he's asked for - a new training ground and the players he's requested."

Like Wilson, the club's fans are worried about the latest developments, especially as they have been without silverware for the past two seasons.

A spokesman for the Arsenal Supporters' Trust, which represents many of the small shareholders who own up to 15 per cent of the club, said: "The Arsenal board must end the uncertainty.

"This means convincing Arsene Wenger that he has a long-term future with Arsenal, including the funds needed to compete in the transfer market."

Wenger is expected to give his first comments on Henry's departure later today and supporters are waiting anxiously for his announcement.

The striker claimed that David Dein's departure as vice-chairman had dismayed him and left him in no doubt that it was time to move on - though he hopes that the supporters will harbour no ill-feelings.

He said: "Arsenal will always be in my blood and in my heart and I will always remember you guys.

"I said I was going to be a Gunner for life and I didn't lie because, once you are a Gunner, you will always be a Gunner. The club is in my heart and will remain in my heart forever.

"I always gave 100 per cent. I hope you appreciate what I did here. I appreciated what you did for me."

Source: Evening standard 25/06/07

...................The 57-year-old is not going to rush into making any decision on his future and is likely to sit tight until Christmas.

Dein is in a similar position. He has kept a low profile since leaving Arsenal and turned down the chance to return to football when offered a job by the new majority shareholder at Newcastle, Mike Ashley.

Dein still believes he will return to the club he helped to build into Double winners, but the circumstances are not right at the moment.

Which is pretty well what I said 3 weeks ago.................

There's no doubt Ashley is thick with Dein, but he is equally thick (or possibly even matier) with Paul Kemsley, who's a director at Spurs (and one of the interviewers from hell on the Apprentice this week).  Dein would be exactly the sort of person Ashley would want to front up Newcastle for him, but whether he could get Dein to give up all hope of getting back with the scum I doubt very much.  I wouldn't say that was invention, just highly unlikely to happen. 

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=41043.msg858646#msg858646

Ashley, Dein, Levy and Kemsley may represent 3 different clubs (Dein will always be scum through and through) but they are thick as thieves and all live within a mile or so of each other in Totteridge.  If Ashley had tried to get Dein to take over the reins at SJP I for one wouldn't be in the slightest bit surprised.

Guest elbee909

*prays*

would be great news for Arsenal bad news for 'castle!

Might want to change that avatar, eh.

Dein would be great but it's been obvious he's sitting on his big pile of Arsenal shares and waiting to see what will happen.

Meanwhile, it's remarkable what power Wenger has there. He not only gets the whole footballing set-up he wants, but even gets to appoint the director of football and pressure for Dein to return.

Dein would be great but it's been obvious he's sitting on his big pile of Arsenal shares and waiting to see what will happen.

Meanwhile, it's remarkable what power Wenger has there. He not only gets the whole footballing set-up he wants, but even gets to appoint the director of football and pressure for Dein to return.

like allardyce was at bolton...the only thing neither of them can/could do is spend money the clubs haven't got.

It didn't really surprise me that Dein turned us down. He has a vested interest in Arsenal and he has helped build them into the top 4 team they are today - even if they will probably be replaced with spurs this year. Ashley had hopes because they are neighbours, but let's hope that Dein gives Ashley some decent advise. It's all we can hope for now...

Arsenal need to do something drastic and I don't think they can do what's necessary without Dein.

The papers 'story' could still be fallacious in that they are just adding two and two together. There's no proof they even know each other really. They just live in the same vicinity, could be miles apart and have no idea where the other even lives.

*prays*

would be great news for Arsenal bad news for 'castle!

Might want to change that avatar, eh.

and again, why?

he is still one of the best players i have ever seen play!

The papers 'story' could still be fallacious in that they are just adding two and two together. There's no proof they even know each other really. They just live in the same vicinity, could be miles apart and have no idea where the other even lives.

Ashley has been to WHL on numerous occasons as a guest of Paul Kemsley, I said that on the day it was announced Ashley had bought Sir John Hall's shares.  I was subsequently told that Ashley went to the first match at the Al Jazeera as Dein's guest.  Levy and Kemsley were similarly invited but declined.  As I said before, they are thick as thieves, but Dein is as much Arsenal as Shearer is Newcastle.  Hill-Wood (maybe only temporarily) made one half of North London very happy when he got shot of Dein.  Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face!

could the plan be to keep fat fred until dein finds out wether he can get back in at arsenal ? 

Possibly, but I think it is more likely to be a case of Ashley asking Dein because he knows him, he's the best at what he does and he was available.  Dein said no and I think that's how it will stay.  I can't honestly envisage Dein working for any club other than the scum, as I said before, he turned down Abramovich and Kenyon was second choice.

could the plan be to keep fat fred until dein finds out wether he can get back in at arsenal ? 

Possibly, but I think it is more likely to be a case of Ashley asking Dein because he knows him, he's the best at what he does and he was available.  Dein said no and I think that's how it will stay.  I can't honestly envisage Dein working for any club other than the scum, as I said before, he turned down Abramovich and Kenyon was second choice.

but that was when dein was still at arsenal.......what if his choice has to be away from there ?

but that was when dein was still at arsenal.......what if his choice has to be away from there ?

Dein is Arsenal through and through, he won't accept that he is finished there even if it was crystal clear that that was the situation.  But the fact is that Dein is backing Kroenke (who owns a major chunk of shares) and will undoubtedly be back in charge of things if Kroenke suceeds in taking over.  My opinion (for what it's worth) is that this time next year Kroenke will have ownership and Dein will have returned.  If that happens, it would be fair to assume that Wenger will also sign a new contract.  Would be a black time for any club with aspirations to take their place in the top 4.

Dein is Arsenal through and through, he won't accept that he is finished there even if it was crystal clear that that was the situation.  But the fact is that Dein is backing Kroenke (who owns a major chunk of shares) and will undoubtedly be back in charge of things if Kroenke suceeds in taking over.  My opinion (for what it's worth) is that this time next year Kroenke will have ownership and Dein will have returned.  If that happens, it would be fair to assume that Wenger will also sign a new contract.  Would be a black time for any club with aspirations to take their place in the top 4.

Maybe, a lot of momentum can be lost in a year though. Don't expect it to happen but in the current circumstances, you never can be certain. Particularly with so much cash swilling about. Think you lot should be a bit worried too. The lack of any decent challenge outside the top 5 makes Spurs look a bit better than they are. Up to Feb they were pretty poor. Financially Spurs can't cope with the backing that at least 7 clubs now have. With that tip of a ground to rebuild or relocate from it will be interesting for them too.

Personally I dont care if they sink or swim, like us they have one or two good players and a plethora of mediocrity. Will be very interesting to see what happens. Not sure Jol is up to it either. He bottled it the season before last, last season was poor and only masked by the others being inept. The top 4 is going to be hard for anyone to break and Spurs have a bit of a start on us but its possible.

Dein is Arsenal through and through, he won't accept that he is finished there even if it was crystal clear that that was the situation.

Dein loves Arsenal but he isn't an idiot..  If it was made crystal clear that there was no chance of him going back to Arsenal he would move on.  Obviously at the moment it isn't that clear cut.

Its no surprise his name didnt come up in the Bungs enquiry.

http://www.thefa.com/NR/rdonlyres/ECF34DE6-0ADF-4E62-93B3-45FE79B0C98A/38905/DavidDein_Presentation_L.jpg

The Swiss Toni of football chairmen tbh.

"Running a football club is a bit like making love to a beautiful woman .... "

Maybe, a lot of momentum can be lost in a year though. Don't expect it to happen but in the current circumstances, you never can be certain. Particularly with so much cash swilling about. Think you lot should be a bit worried too. The lack of any decent challenge outside the top 5 makes Spurs look a bit better than they are. Up to Feb they were pretty poor. Financially Spurs can't cope with the backing that at least 7 clubs now have. With that tip of a ground to rebuild or relocate from it will be interesting for them too.

Personally I dont care if they sink or swim, like us they have one or two good players and a plethora of mediocrity. Will be very interesting to see what happens. Not sure Jol is up to it either. He bottled it the season before last, last season was poor and only masked by the others being inept. The top 4 is going to be hard for anyone to break and Spurs have a bit of a start on us but its possible.

I don't think momentum over 12 months will affect Dein's drive to achieve his ambitions, it's his ambition that have taken Arsenal to where they are now, the other directors have simply been dragged along with him.  As much as I don't like to admit it, Ash is right, Dein will be back some time in the future. 

I've no doubt that whilst some clubs may have greater financial resources, Spurs are managing their funds well, not overspending on transfer fees or wages and that leaves them in a sound financial situation.  It could be argued that Arsenal could have more financial problems than Spurs with their £250m+ debt, but that shouldn't jeopardise their performances on the pitch  and likewise Spurs are healthy finacially and respectable on the pitch.  A major chunk of money was raised a couple of years ago for redevelopment of WHL, there is more for the new Academy and none of that has been touched.  If there is a major financial problem, there is Joe Lewis in the background whose wealth through Enic is about double Mike Ashley's worth.  The fact that Enic are happy to run THFC as a profitable business rather than throwing money at players in the hope of being more successful endorses my comment that Spurs are financially sound.

I personally don't agree with your assertion that Spurs should be worried about our performances for the past 2 years or in the future.  The structure is in place and it works well.  Well enough for Wenger to probably having to settle for Gilles Grimandi as his replacement for David Dein as Comolli, his 1st choice, turned down the opportunity.  If Comolli had gone I would have been concerned but I see no cause for concern at the present time.  Links have been/are being forged with various clubs in Europe and Africa, the youngsters being brought in by Comolli, whilst not as plentiful as Arsenal's, are now showing the quality that had previously been lacking.

With the players Spurs have in the squad, the depth of the squad and the new players incoming, I've no doubt that Spurs will again finish in the top 6.  Whether that is 4th, 5th or 6th remains to be seen but I'm no less confident about the coming season as I was this time last year.

I dont think Grimandi will come in to take Dein's job, he has done a good job of scouting in france according to reports and he has found some players for Wenger. I personally, dont know why, cant see him in a negotiation role for the club, contracts, signings etc

Only a matter of time before Dein is back, or i think another possibility is Wenger taking up this position with Pat Rice becoming the manager with Mr Arsenal (TA6) as his deputy. I think this is unlikely though, but could be a possible solution.

Ideally though, Dein back at the arse is the ideal option, i would love PHW to go back on his word and take him back.

Back to the thread, not much chance WHAT SO EVER of him coming to Newcastle!

Ashley has been to WHL on numerous occasons as a guest of Paul Kemsley, I said that on the day it was announced Ashley had bought Sir John Hall's shares.   I was subsequently told that Ashley went to the first match at the Al Jazeera as Dein's guest.  Levy and Kemsley were similarly invited but declined.  As I said before, they are thick as thieves, but Dein is as much Arsenal as Shearer is Newcastle.  Hill-Wood (maybe only temporarily) made one half of North London very happy when he got shot of Dein.  Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face!

The master plan is revealed Newcastle will soon announce they are to become Spurs B. Levy has got his mate to buy Newcastle so you can finally sign Damien Duff.

Your right its only a matter of time before Dein returns to the Arsenal fold. They board will have no choice but to sell before too long, the likes of Ourselves, West Ham, Villa, Man City, now Birmingham and Spuds aswell will all be better financed before too long, every club will have a billionaire backer.

Kroenke and Dein know this.

As for Spuds next season, your prediction should be accurate enough, although you can never tell with your lot, consistency is improving the past few years. The key is moving all the youth to the next step, something we failed to achieve.

Youth is all important but you need the right mix. Too many clubs are looking too much into the future now without keeping a firm grip on the present. Spurs arent far off, providing you dont screw it up by selling Berbatov and add to his talents you shouldnt do too bad.

I dont think Grimandi will come in to take Dein's job, he has done a good job of scouting in france according to reports and he has found some players for Wenger. I personally, dont know why, cant see him in a negotiation role for the club, contracts, signings etc

Only a matter of time before Dein is back, or i think another possibility is Wenger taking up this position with Pat Rice becoming the manager with Mr Arsenal (TA6) as his deputy. I think this is unlikely though, but could be a possible solution.

Ideally though, Dein back at the arse is the ideal option, i would love PHW to go back on his word and take him back.

Back to the thread, not much chance WHAT SO EVER of him coming to Newcastle!

I understood Grimandi headed up the scouting network in France, think he's more than just the scout in France.  Comolli wanted Grimandi to be Spurs' chief European scout (but GG said no)  he's highly rated, it wouldn't surprise me if he's promoted into a Sporting Director type role which would allow him to keep control of the area he's been a success at.

I can't see Hill-Wood doing an about turn, Peter's never done one before nor Dennis before him.  He'll go when Kroenke shows them the door.

Ashley has been to WHL on numerous occasons as a guest of Paul Kemsley, I said that on the day it was announced Ashley had bought Sir John Hall's shares.  I was subsequently told that Ashley went to the first match at the Al Jazeera as Dein's guest.  Levy and Kemsley were similarly invited but declined.  As I said before, they are thick as thieves, but Dein is as much Arsenal as Shearer is Newcastle.  Hill-Wood (maybe only temporarily) made one half of North London very happy when he got shot of Dein.  Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face!

The master plan is revealed Newcastle will soon announce they are to become Spurs B. Levy has got his mate to buy Newcastle so you can finally sign Damien Duff.

Your right its only a matter of time before Dein returns to the Arsenal fold. They board will have no choice but to sell before too long, the likes of Ourselves, West Ham, Villa, Man City, now Birmingham and Spuds aswell will all be better financed before too long, every club will have a billionaire backer.

As for Spuds next season, your prediction should be accurate enough, although you can never tell with your lot, consistency is improving the past few years. The key is moving all the youth to the next step, something we failed to achieve.

Youth is all important but you need the right mix. Too many clubs are looking too much into the future now without keeping a firm grip on the present. Spurs arent far off, providing you dont screw it up by selling Berbatov and add to his talents you shouldnt do too bad.

Still no danger of Berbatov being sold.  Bale and Kaboul signed, Bent coming in, plus (hopefully) another Englishman, another Bulgarian and a Dutchman to follow shortly.  If that all happens, I'll be delighted.