Christopher Mort appointed Deputy Chairman, other boardroom changes

NSG

I'd be amazed if we spent more than £20-25m this summer (considering we've spent ~£9m already), just doesn't seem clever. We need a foundation first.

we haven't spent £9mill net though,i'm sure i'm quoted on here saying we'll spend around £35mill this window,not sure how much of this will be fresh cash mind.

Oops, forgot about Parker. :blush:

I stand by my point though, think it would be more prudent to build the castle rather than throw it up. You know what I mean.

I'd be amazed if we spent more than £20-25m this summer (considering we've spent ~£9m already), just doesn't seem clever. We need a foundation first.

we haven't spent £9mill net though,i'm sure i'm quoted on here saying we'll spend around £35mill this window,not sure how much of this will be fresh cash mind.

I stand by my point though, think it would be more prudent to build the castle rather than throw it up. You know what I mean.

I agree, but ultimately I think Ashley will leave that kind of decision (how the team should be built) to Allardyce.  He'll simply provide Allardyce with a budget, its up to him how its spent.

I agree, but ultimately I think Ashley will leave that kind of decision (how the team should be built) to Allardyce.  He'll simply provide Allardyce with a budget, its up to him how its spent.

Maybe so. In that case I maintain what I said a few weeks ago (which was ridiculed); I really hope Allardyce sticks to his principles in getting value for money.

True nuff. Last time we spent £50m in one go it was all on a load of s***. Allardyce should stick to his guns and not get tempted by any more exotic buys.

he should if he thinks they are right

Guest sicko2ndbest

New quotes from todays Sun:

Mort said: “I have worked closely with Mike Ashley on the acquisition of Newcastle but Mike does not necessarily look to be high-profile.

"He prefers to do much of his work beneath the radar. I will be taking a leave of absence from my usual job to devote myself to Newcastle United on a full-time basis in the initial months.

“We want to get stuck into the club to move it forward.

“We are very optimistic about the future here at Newcastle, especially with a manager of Sam Allardyce’s calibre at the club.”

Thats nice to here, means he has got the backing of the board already, although i am aware of the dreaded vote of confidence

This is nice to see, although I´m not convinced this guy is going to be our next chairman. It´s more that he´s a trusted lieutenant who´s been sent in to work out exactly what they´ve got and perform some drastic surgery. Remember Ashley didn´t do any due dilligence on this take over, so things like the release clause in Martins´ contract and the exact terms of the one in Owen´s might have been unpleasant news for him.

I suppose he´ll even get to find out what the Gibraltar operation actually does.

It wouldn´t be unusual in this situation for someone like this to come in, make a lot of change, fire a bunch of people and then leave. From the outside NUFC looks to have been run as a cosy little boys club with a lot of ambition, a lot of cash floating about and very little discipline. When you´re writing off millions every year on another failed signing it´s hard to worry about whether you´re making the right margins on the catering - I´d hope this guy will do what we´ve been told is planned, a top to bottom review of the club, probably followed by a purge of the management, some long term planning and a bit of restructuring.

I´d also expect the board to get quite a bit bigger as well. At least one new board member with a football background is going to be neeed.

True nuff. Last time we spent £50m in one go it was all on a load of s***. Allardyce should stick to his guns and not get tempted by any more exotic buys.

I'd trust Allardyce to spend £50m better than all of our previous managers since Keegan.

I'd trust Allardyce to spend £50m better than all of our previous managers since Keegan.

I second this. It's nice to have no major reasons to doubt a manager after the last two clowns that were put in charge. I don't think Big Sam has put a foot wrong so far and Viduka and Barton were two really good pieces of business if you ask me, it's good to see that Mort has come out and backed him in the press as well.