Allardyce to be given £50m by Ashley - The Times

Guest TrEe

It's obviously good news. But, Newcastle, Chelsea, West Ham, Aston Villa, Manchester City, Man Utd, Liverpool and more - all potentially have £50m transfer kittys.

One of my biggest fears for football is inflation. Actually, on the whole, that's probably the main fear for me.

For the people wanting big money signings over cheaper players i say why don't you go on nufc.com and look at the tansfer section under Souness and have a little think.

If the £50m bit is true i would be happy for him to spend £30-£35m on bulking up the squad with good quality players, then maybe bringing in one big signing and it would have to be a creative playmaker for me.

Spot on. People are forgetting we've spent silly money in the past and it's got us precisely fuck all by and large.

For the people wanting big money signings over cheaper players i say why don't you go on nufc.com and look at the tansfer section under Souness and have a little think.

Have a look at these lists and tell me who you'd sooner have....

Barton, Viduka, Rozehnal, Beye.

or....

Gattuso, Ashton, Andrade, Miguel.

or....

Three of those would be coming only for the money at this stage. I don't want that.

Viduka for nowt or Dean Ashton for £15m - Discuss.

That's one for the "world's thinnest books" thread.

It's not about better value, it's about who'd be better for Newcastle short and long term. Fees had nothing to do with my question, I'm on about which list of players in footballing terms.

Viduka for nowt or Dean Ashton for £15m - Discuss.

That's one for the "world's thinnest books" thread.

It's not about better value, it's about who'd be better for Newcastle short and long term.

Short term we're not in the Champions League mate. One step at a time.

or....

1.Estimate how much Barton, Viduka, Rozehnal, Beye would cost then see how much you are left over with out of a potential £50m

2.Estimate how much Gattuso, Ashton, Andrade, Miguel would cost then see how much you are left over with out of a potential £50m

3.How many players out of Gattuso, Ashton, Andrade, Miguel have played over 40 Premiership games?

or....

Three of those would be coming only for the money at this stage. I don't want that.

Do you think Speed, Solano & Robert came to Newcastle for the love of the club?

or....

No.

The thing is, football has changed, if you want Uefa, you have to buy your place. better players cost more then cheaper players. there are bargains out there, but lets face it, does anyone think players who are in there mid 20's or older like Habib Beye or Rozehnal are going to take us into the top 4.

Man Utd

Liverpool

Chelsea

Westham

Manchester City

Portsmouth

Tottenham

These teams are all gonna spend big this summer, so if we are to compete I see this £50m tranfer kitty as just what the docter ordered :knuppel2:

Alright then, Nut.

What's better:

Ashton, Gattuso, Miguel, Andrade for around £40m.

or

Viduka, Barton, Rozenhal, Beye, Hyypia, Baines, Sagna, Diarra, Boateng, Arteta for £40m or so.

?

or....

No.

I'd imagine money was a huge role, still did us no harm.

or....

Exactly.

The right player at the right price for the right reasons. Allardyce should be targetting the best talent in Europe. Preferably young but definitely hungry.  blueyes.gif           

Alright then, Nut.

What's better:

or

Viduka, Barton, Rozenhal, Beye, Hyypia, Baines, Sagna, Diarra, Boateng, Arteta for £40m or so.

?

The second list. I was just giving examples of good players who'd improve us who'd cost big fees. I don't get why people are so against it.

or....

No.

I'd imagine money was a huge role, still did us no harm.

There's a difference between the lure of dosh and the PL and whoring ourselves like we have done with Owen, Kluivert, etc.

A lot of good points being made here.

I don't want trophy signings, nor expensive signings necessarily, but I believe I'm looking at the bigger picture when I say that a lot of other clubs will use this window to strengthen and while I'm satisfied with the signings of Barton and Viduka, we can still do better.

It's going to be difficult to attract top quality players here, we just finished 13th and we're out of Europe. But by the same token it's going to be difficult to persuade players like Hyypia to leave Liverpool in the twilight of his career for a place on our bench. Similarly it's going to be difficult to nab Marseille's captain and use him as a squad player. Man Utd or Chelsea could do that, but they won't come to Newcastle for that and if they do it will be for the wrong reasons as well.

My point is that Newcastle aren't big enough yet to keep a big squad of quality players that happy. Hyypia will want to play every week otherwise why leave Liverpool? Same for Beye. We only get one shot at bringing new blood in and if we've got the money we should be going for the best we can while everyone around us is doing the same. I agree about getting some signings of decent players in first to boost a very thin squad, but if we want to lift a level while we've got the chance then we should bring in one or two of real quality, Andrade being just one example.

Alright then, Nut.

What's better:

or

?

Well for £50m then Yorkie, would you sniff your nose at Viduka, Barton, Rozehnal, Miguel, Andrade, Arteta, Diarra & Baines?

Alright then, Nut.

What's better:

or

?

The second list. I was just giving examples of good players who'd improve us who'd cost big fees. I don't get why people are so against it.

Because history tells an intriguing story. (Most) Newcastle fans have learned that building a squad is now a better foundation for success, rather than buying expensive individuals.

Alright then, Nut.

What's better:

or

?

I'm not against improving the team and squad. I want players to want to come here because we are playing in the big time ahead of just for the money. We're at least a year away from European football, which is the minimum the premium player demands these days. Why not get in amongst the top six at least before spending silly?

A lot of good points being made here.

I don't want trophy signings, nor expensive signings necessarily, but I believe I'm looking at the bigger picture when I say that a lot of other clubs will use this window to strengthen and while I'm satisfied with the signings of Barton and Viduka, we could still do better.

It's going to be difficult to attract top quality players here, we just finished 13th and we're out of Europe. But by the same token it's going to be difficult to persuade players like Hyypia to leave Liverpool in the twilight of his career for a place on our bench. Similarly it's going to be difficult to nab Marseille's captain and use him as a squad player. Man Utd or Chelsea could do that, but they won't come to Newcastle for that and if they do it will be for the wrong reasons as well.

My point is that Newcastle aren't big enough yet to keep a big squad of quality players that happy. Hyypia will want to play every week otherwise why leave Liverpool? Same for Beye. We only get one shot at bringing new blood in and if we've got the money we should be going for the best we can while everyone around us is doing the same. I agree about getting some signings of decent players in first to boost a very thin squad, but if we want to lift a level while we've got the chance then we should bring in one or two of real quality, Andrade being just one example.

Good post.

3.How many players out of Gattuso, Ashton, Andrade, Miguel have played over 40 Premiership games?

How many of Cech, Carvalho, Robben & Drogba had played any Premiership games at all when Chelsea signed them in 2004?

Number 3 was not the main point though and is just a minor one. The first two questions i asked are the important ones because at the end of the day we don't even have a decent starting line up to put together yet. Signing big players might fill the gaps in your line up, but you're gonna be seeing Matty Pattison on the bench cos you won't have money left over to build the rest of the squad.