Queudrue?

Guest sicko2ndbest

No one is claiming Ashley is a god, I don't think he has had any praise for anything he has done yet.

What unknown player has turned us down then?

What, have you missed the 130 page raveparty that was the `Ashley now owns .. % of NUFC` party, not to mention all the other mainly (as yet) unfounded optimism about our future in his posession?

Are you telling me you knew all about Beye, Diarra etc before we became interested? If it would have been Roeder looking at them would you have been as enthousiastic about them possibly joining us? Are you not worried in the slightest that we do not seem to be able to persuade this level of player and now need to resort to the likes of Young and Quedrue? Do you really believe that this level will help us getting back towards the top 4, or could they become a hindrance in very much the same way that average players such as Carr and Babayaro have been a hindrance to us in the recent past?

No one is claiming Ashley is a god, I don't think he has had any praise for anything he has done yet.

What unknown player has turned us down then?

What, have you missed the 130 page raveparty that was the `Ashley now owns .. % of NUFC` party, not to mention all the other mainly (as yet) unfounded optimism about our future in his posession?

Are you telling me you knew all about Beye, Diarra etc before we became interested? If it would have been Roeder looking at them would you have been as enthousiastic about them possibly joining us? Are you not worried in the slightest that we do not seem to be able to persuade this level of player and now need to resort to the likes of Young and Quedrue? Do you really believe that this level will help us getting back towards the top 4, or could they become a hindrance in very much the same way that average players such as Carr and Babayaro have been a hindrance to us in the recent past?

People are getting overexcited about the potential funds but I don't remember seeing Ashley getting any praise as yet.

I had heard of Diarra and Beye, they are hardly footballing unknowns. The fact we played against Beye a couple of years ago kind of helps that sort of thing aswell. I can understand why he would want to stay at Marseille next year being their captain, having champions league football next season and him honestly believing they have a shot at the title but then I don't have OTT expectations that some on the forum have.

I don't remember Diarra turning us down either?

What are your expectations if I may ask?

Build a good squad that will challenge for Europe and then when we do have something to offer the real class players something other than overinflated wages bring them in.

Not do a West Ham and start chucking money around on over the top fee's and over the top wages for players who are lucky to be described as better than average.

It's easy to keep trotting out that line, but if we don't make Europe we are lumped with players like Queudrue who won't get any better.

I do think that with a few sound signings we can finish top 6, maybe not far off 4th if we're ambitious enough. But cementing our position as top half also-rans in some sort of attempt to gradually inch up the table doesn't sound sensible to me. Why skimp on a few million for the sake of it when you can sign a better, younger player in Baines? His value might go up considerably and we'll miss out on yet another up and coming player, as we did with Carrick and so many others. Spurs have moved forward in recent years through signings like that.

It's easy to keep trotting out that line, but if we don't make Europe we are lumped with players like Queudrue who won't get any better.

I do think that with a few sound signings we can finish top 6, maybe not far off 4th if we're ambitious enough. But cementing our position as top half also-rans in some sort of attempt to gradually inch up the table doesn't sound sensible to me. Why skimp on a few million for the sake of it when you can sign a better, younger player in Baines? His value might go up considerably and we'll miss out on yet another up and coming player, as we did with Carrick and so many others. Spurs have moved forward in recent years through signings like that.

I would definitely get Baines if we could.

Very much so, but even if we do make it into Europe with this calibre of player they are still going to be holding us back when we try and make the next step up towards where we seemingly want to be.. We need to look for players who are good enough for us now and have the potential to get better as we get closer to fulfilling our supposed ambitions. Baines would fit that mould, as would perhaps Hoyte..

Where is that young dutch LB at??

Emmanulson i think he is called. We were linked with him under Roeder very good player linked with Villa this summer?

Ajax.. No interest in him currently I believe. Mind, if Ajax can sell Babel for 11,5 million, they won't let Emmanuelson go on the cheap..

Very much so, but even if we do make it into Europe with this calibre of player they are still going to be holding us back when we try and make the next step up towards where we seemingly want to be.. We need to look for players who are good enough for us now and have the potential to get better as we get closer to fulfilling our supposed ambitions. Baines would fit that mould, as would perhaps Hoyte..

If we make it into Europe we buy a top class left back who is here for the right reasons, bumo Quedrue to back up and Babayaro leaves as his contract will have run out.

If we make it into Europe we buy a top class left back who is here for the right reasons, bumo Quedrue to back up and Babayaro leaves as his contract will have run out.

Sounds like a good plan at first sight but:

a) will Quedrue be prepared to be a squad player?

b) will buying the "finished article" not be far more expensive and risky than buying a very proming young player now who is available relatively cheaply and can develop along with the club?

c) in a year's time, will Quedrue not just be the new Babayaro? Do backup players really need to be older and less motivated than the first team players?

b) will buying the "finished article" not be far more expensive and risky than buying a very proming young player now who is available relatively cheaply and can develop along with the club?

c) in a year's time, will Quedrue not just be the new Babayaro? Do backup players really need to be older and less motivated than the first team players?

He wouldn't have a choice tbh.

Could a) and c) not just be resolved by selling/releasing him then? If that happens.

as for b) Everyone I think, certainly myself, would love Baines here, but Wigan are holding out for the kind of money that you think would be too expensive next year.

Similar to the Duscher situation, Quedrue would be a short term stop gap that would solidify our squad, moving us to a better place next summer where better options will be available.

We could splash out on someone now, but we will be in a better place to attract better players this time next year. Getting rid of Quedrue/Baba will be alot easier than someone we pay out alot for on a long term contract.

Personally I wouldnt be very chuffed with Quedrue. But we are at a point we need to solidify the team before we move to the next level.

That said theres nothing to say we wont sign Baines or similar on top of Quedrue.

Guest Verlaine

Here's a thought! Let's judge Allardyce's success in this transfer window once it's closed!

Get away with you.

:blush: :blush: :blush: I feel so stupid.

Here's a thought! Let's judge Allardyce's success in this transfer window once it's closed!

Piss off! I want to moan NOW about all the players he MIGHT buy and I don't like!

Guest jamesmartinsmith

Baines is not good enough defensively, it's as simple as that.

I've seen him defend so many times for the U21's it's quite embarassing at times. Bridge or Shorey would be much, much better signings.

I've seen him defend so many times for the U21's it's quite embarassing at times. Bridge or Shorey would be much, much better signings.

Aye because Shorey has proven to be a lot better.

Baines was pretty impressive defensively at the U21's this summer, I was quite suprised.

Not in anyway convinced by Shorey, lets see how he does this season. Baines is a much better prospect IMO, with guidance and better players to learn from could be a great player.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

Was that sarcastic or serious?

Was that sarcastic or serious?

What do you think? Shorey is 26 years old and has as many good seasons in the premiership as Baines but even less experience.