Gartside takes a swipe at Allardyce

Skirge

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/journalsport/tm_headline=gartside-takes-a-swipe-at-allardyce%26method=full%26objectid=19406921%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Gartside takes a swipe at Allardyce

Jul 5 2007

by Paul Gilder, The Journal

PHIL Gartside last night continued his war of words with Sam Allardyce as he insisted the Newcastle boss is doing him a favour as he attempts to lure his former club’s backroom staff to St James’s Park.

The Bolton chairman has received letters of notice from several members of Sammy Lee’s coaching team – with Mark Taylor and Mike Forde among those understood to have outlined their intentions to quit the Reebok Stadium this summer.

Allardyce, who assembled a sizeable support network in his previous job, is determined to add both men to his staff as he prepares for the forthcoming Premier League campaign. It is a situation that has led Gartside to accuse his former boss of breaking his word.

“The people who have handed in their notice have given us an opportunity to upgrade what we’ve got here and there are a number of new initiatives coming on stream that are very exciting,” said a man described as ‘sad and bitter’ by Allardyce last week. “Sammy’s more than pleased to have an opportunity to make changes to his staff.

“I’m trying to get people who wanted contracts with 12 months’ notice to work that notice. If that makes me sad and bitter, so be it. People have gone and there was an agreement (with Allardyce) that he shouldn’t take them with him. I’m not sad and I’m not bitter. In fact, I’m more excited about next season than I have been for a long time.”

Allardyce is determined to start assembling his backroom team and, although Steve Round has been added to the club’s existing staff, no other arrivals have been confirmed as yet.

Taylor, Bolton’s head of sports science and medicine, and Forde, the club’s performance director, have long been in his sights. Conditioning coach Mark Howard and Pro-Zone expert Dave Fallows are also understood to have quit their Reebok posts. The United boss will hope the situation can be resolved as soon as possible, although he will fear an aggrieved Gartside could decide to dig his heels in. Allardyce has also come under fire from predecessor Glenn Roeder, although he will take little notice of his predecessor’s bizarre outburst.

“Big Sam says he’s aiming for a top-six finish in five years, but Newcastle should be finishing in the top six next season without any problems,” said Roeder, who steered the club to 13th in the Premier League table last season.

Roeder also insisted Allardyce has been able to strengthen his squad in a manner that he never was. The current United manager has spent less than £9m on his four signings to date, whereas Roeder spent £10m on Obafemi Martins alone. “The world and his wife could see that Newcastle needed to strengthen in defence last season,” added Roeder, who turned down the chance to sign Sol Campbell during his ill-fated reign.

The 51-year-old also accused Allardyce of making excuses, insulting United’s supporters and warned he was just keeping the manager’s seat warm for Alan Shearer in an interview that smacked of bitter grapes. Roeder, who was unable to steer the club to European qualification, quit in May, less than 12 months after his permanent tenure began and his successor will lose little sleep over his comments.

Guest Gemmill

Has Gartside had a "Vice Versa" moment with Freddy Shepherd or something?  I think the spirit of Shepherd leapt into him when Freddy fell ill or something.

Guest Gemmill

Vice Versa by the way.  Quality film.  Judge Reinhold and the kid off the Wonder Years.  Genius!

Has Gartside had a "Vice Versa" moment with Freddy Shepherd or something?  I think the spirit of Shepherd leapt into him when Freddy fell ill or something.

:lol: the spirit of Fred lives on, how fkn cruel is this world. :D

Also speaking of Vice Versa, anyone remember those sweets they brought out a few years ago that were white on the outside and brown in the middle, and brown on the outside with white in the middle?

Yep, confused me tastebuds to fck!

Guest trotter58

This bollocks from the likes of Gartside and Roeder just goes to show that we are moving in the right direction and other lesser clubs/coaches don't like it.

Explain what you mean by 'bollocks' from Gartside? The staff in question asked for and got 12 month rolling contracts. He's perfectly entitled to ask them to work their notice. He happens to be chairman of BWFC not NUFC, so why should he do you lot any favours?

This bollocks from the likes of Gartside and Roeder just goes to show that we are moving in the right direction and other lesser clubs/coaches don't like it.

Explain what you mean by 'bollocks' from Gartside? The staff in question asked for and got 12 month rolling contracts. He's perfectly entitled to ask them to work their notice. He happens to be chairman of BWFC not NUFC, so why should he do you lot any favours?

Well obviously if they really have 12 months notice periods then they will legally have to work them, there's nothing Sam Allardyce can do about it is there?

Incidentally, a 12 month contract doesn't always mean 12 months notice period - it looks as though since they have 'handed in letters of notice' that they have shorter notice periods than he is suggesting to the press.