The Asian Cup

Newcastle Fan

Gutted absolutely gutted, oh well what can we do. Arnold out!!

Got to be gutted the sending off changed the game though. But not much you can do.

We didnt deserve to go through anyways with some poor performances. Penalty shoot outs are all luck though and i think we used all of ours up before this game.

Who said Viduka was injured??

He was subbed off in the 60th minute, which was strange but one of the posters here jumped to say he was injured. Im not sure whether he is or whether it was a tactical switch by Arnold. However he would of usually taken off Aloisi before Viduka. Im sure once he gets back to Newcastle and rests up for a week or two he will be fine and dandy anyways. If there was an injury it wasnt huge.

Nowt against the Aussies but as I've lived a quarter of my life in Japan I was rooting for them throughout. Great penalty by Nakazawa and it's good news that Viduka gets to come home a bit earlier.

Guest exilim

No idea, it's weird taking of Viduka in the 60th min when he did well for the entire game and looked a great threat in front of goal.

If it's a tactical switch by Arnold, that guy made Australia lose this.

Guest Ridzuan

Just finished watching the match and I have to say Im gutted but Japan truly deserved the victory,though I have to say it was help by some dodgy referee decision especially the sending of the Aussie player.Im not sure why Viduka was being subtituted in the 60min,but I suspect it must be due to an injury because Graham Arnold usually doesnt subtitute Viduka for Kewell but instead put them together for a while before Viduka come off.If it is not because he is injured,then I think Graham has done the wrong thing because Im sure Viduka would have won the match for the Aussies.As for the penalty shoot out,I have to say the Japanese keeper was fantastic in keeping Neill and Kewell penalty out though it was a poor effort from both of them and Takahara's penalty was one of the funniest that Ive ever seen.To sum all of it,it was a disappointing day for the Aussies as well as me but Im sure we will come back stronger next time.

No idea, it's weird taking of Viduka in the 60th min when he did well for the entire game and looked a great threat in front of goal.

If it's a tactical switch by Arnold, that guy made Australia lose this.

I think there is a ref who had more influence in the final outcome.

Guest Moe-Ali

wow, kewell's penalty was sooooooo shit, i knew he was missing the second he started juggling the ball into the penalty area, and then his longggggggggggggggg run up to the ball, was just stupid.

japan were deserved winners, and shunsuke nakamura played excellent

Just finished watching the match and I have to say Im gutted but Japan truly deserved the victory,though I have to say it was help by some dodgy referee decision especially the sending of the Aussie player.Im not sure why Viduka was being subtituted in the 60min,but I suspect it must be due to an injury because Graham Arnold usually doesnt subtitute Viduka for Kewell but instead put them together for a while before Viduka come off.If it is not because he is injured,then I think Graham has done the wrong thing because Im sure Viduka would have won the match for the Aussies.As for the penalty shoot out,I have to say the Japanese keeper was fantastic in keeping Neill and Kewell penalty out though it was a poor effort from both of them and Takahara's penalty was one of the funniest that Ive ever seen.To sum all of it,it was a disappointing day for the Aussies as well as me but Im sure we will come back stronger next time.

Kawaguchi's usually very good with penalties but I don't think he's Japan's best keeper. There are several better in J1.

Guest Ridzuan

Kawaguchi's usually very good with penalties but I don't think he's Japan's best keeper. There are several better in J1.

Of course I didnt say that he is Japan's best keeper,I was saying that he did a good job during the shoot out thats all. ;)

Of course I didnt say that he is Japan's best keeper,I was saying that he did a good job during the shoot out thats all. ;)

I was just making a comment - he's nowt flash but has good reflexes. Some Japanese players are good enough for us in my opinion. Nakazawa, Shunsuke and an injured defender called Tulio (half Brazilian / Japanese) could all cut it in England.

Guest diddimz

Gutted absolutely gutted, oh well what can we do. Arnold out!!

Got to be gutted the sending off changed the game though. But not much you can do.

We didnt deserve to go through anyways with some poor performances. Penalty shoot outs are all luck though and i think we used all of ours up before this game.

To be honest we didnt deserve to get out of the group stages, this team has been only a shadow of 12 months ago, im surprised we beat thailand in the last game, and i had low expectations of japan, Arnold seems like he doesnt know what he is doing, and is out of his depth. We need a new manager in, Houllier i wouldn't mind, though i dont want Dick Advocaat whose name has been mentioned a few times, though anyone would be better then the walking scrotum.

Guest Ridzuan

I was just making a comment - he's nowt flash but has good reflexes. Some Japanese players are good enough for us in my opinion. Nakazawa, Shunsuke and an injured defender called Tulio (half Brazilian / Japanese) could all cut it in England.

I agree.We need to look at the Asian market more because there are some great talents here waiting to play in the big leagues.I think we should go for Takahara.

Guest sittingontheball

Takahara's not done much in Germany though. Shunsuke's deffo class. I'll agree about Kawaguchi being dodgy. He let in an average of about four a game for Portsmouth after being their record signing.  He lost his job to Dave Beasant who (1) was completely crap for the toon and (2) about 42 by the time he got the nod ahead of Kawaguchi.

Kewell got booked for diving and missed a pen.  Quality entertainment!

I agree.We need to look at the Asian market more because there are some great talents here waiting to play in the big leagues.I think we should go for Takahara.

I think J1 is a very entertaining league to watch, with a highly-technical level of football. Though the finishing is sometimes frustrating. I however think many J1 players might be technically good enough for England, but still not cut it there. Because J1 football is a gentle-man's game, it's nice flowy, technical football, no where near as brute as the English-League.

i wouldn't mind any of those 3 defenders.

If sam gets desperate, Milligan (Aus centre back) and Carney (Wing back) are in the final year of their contract and it wouldn't take much to lure them away. Milligan is quality (although his brain explosion cost Australia the match), Carney is not bad as long as you don't let him shoot, as he likes to send it 30ft over the bar whenever possible. Whilst not PL standard, Carney would certainely be a more attractive proposition than Baba.

The Japanese defenders were dirty as f*ck tonight, climbing all over the dooks and everyone else, they wouldn't get away with that with a non-asian ref.

My team isn't very entertaining - 10 goals in 18 games, but some of the players at the better teams - Gamba, Urawa (scum) etc. are very savvy and not gentlemanly at all. The stereotype of it being gentlemanly is exactly what it is - a stereotype.

My team isn't very entertaining - 10 goals in 18 games, but some of the players at the better teams - Gamba, Urawa (scum) etc. are very savvy and not gentlemanly at all. The stereotype of it being gentlemanly is exactly what it is - a stereotype.

Really? Because the 4-5 matches that I watched when I was in Japan, there was hardly a physical challenge.

By the way, Viduka aint injured. Graham Arnold commenting on Viduka being subbed off.

"Mark is a big man and it was very hot out there," said Socceroos coach Graham Arnold in an attempt to explain Viduka's ineffectiveness."

"He was just a bit fatigued."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Viduka-said-nasty-stuff-says-Nakazawa/2007/07/22/1185042933307.html