Top stopper on way....

Guest DavB93

I'd take Boulahrouz is he's going on the cheap.

He didn't have the best of first seasons and made one or two high profile blunders playing out of position which ruined his reputation. But he also put in some excellent performances, like the one against Barcelona. You can see he's a good defender. He never got a run of games in central defence at Chelsea, but whoever does could be onto a bargain.

I think it is Beye. Not sure if you remember or not but Bolton were drawn against Marseille in the UEFA whilst Sam was the manager and Beye played both games... Could of caught his eye in those 2 games and if you add that to the reports he would of got from our staff when we played them then it would kind of make sense. I know Shearer was past his best by then but i remember the lad not giving him an inch in either game (if my memory serves me right).

For those interested(or want proof) here are the two Bolton V Marseille teams;

Bolton: Jaaskelainen, O'Brien, Ben Haim, N'Gotty, Gardner, Nolan, Faye, Okocha (Speed 60), Davies, Borgetti (Vaz Te 67), Giannakopoulos. Subs Not Used: Walker, Hunt, Jaidi, Perez, Fojut.

Marseille: Barthez, Ferreira, Beye, Dehu, Cesar, Taiwo, Nasri (Gimenez 73), Cana, Oruma, Ribery, Niang (Cantareil 90). Subs Not Used: Carrasso, Delfim, Meite, Civelli, Deruda

Marseille: Barthez, Taiwo, Ferreira (Deruda 66), Dehu, Meite, Beye, Oruma, Cana (Civelli 90), Nasri, Ribery (Cantareil 80), Niang.

Subs Not Used: Carrasso, Andre Luis, Gimenez, Begeorgi.

Booked: Beye, Cana.

Goals: Ribery 45, Ben Haim 68 og.

Bolton: Jaaskelainen, N'Gotty, Gardner, O'Brien, Ben Haim, Nolan, Speed (Vaz Te 84), Giannakopoulos, Okocha, Faye (Pedersen 73), Davies, Pedersen (Borgetti 87).

Subs Not Used: Walker, Hunt, Jaidi, Nakata.

Beye would be a great signing  :celb:  Anyone know what sort of fee it would be?

I think 2-3m was being muted a few wks back. Obviously just guess work like but sounds about right.

Marquez apparently

source

Sam place as my Zat Knight comment.

Marquez is pure class though.

Wouldnt be dissapointed with Boularouz. He was fantastic before Chelsea and offers alot of cover.

is that rafael marquez ? isn't he in venezuela at the momemet for the copa america? (mexican isn't he ???) and apparently whoever it was had a face to face meet with allardyce over the weekend.

Who says Allardyce didnt fly over to Venezuela? NOT that we are getting Marquez though.. but doesnt say where he held the face to face talks.

Guest exilim

Who says Allardyce didnt fly over to Venezuela? NOT that we are getting Marquez though.. but doesnt say where he held the face to face talks.

Webcam is a possibility. It's face to face too theoretically.

Guest exilim

Skype probably.. no expense spared. Although I heard they hooked up in a chatroom.

Two guys hooking up each other in a chatroom? It's not that good to have a gay manager seriously, our players will all leave sooner or later.

So it might be Sam's secret behind the injury-free Bolton.  :o

Guest Bellers

Skype probably.. no expense spared. Although I heard they hooked up in a chatroom.

Two guys hooking up each other in a chatroom?

...and that was only preliminary discussions.

Two guys hooking up each other in a chatroom? It's not that good to have a gay manager seriously, our players will all leave sooner or later.

So it might be Sam's secret behind the injury-free Bolton.  :o

Its the only way we could snare Matty Taylor for left back....or is that a bit too below the belt?

Guest SwissMagpie

i say its Boularouz.Big sam loves players who can play in couple of positions.Khalid can play in all back four positions

From the Sun:

Big Sam's Beye watch beauty

By ONLINE REPORTER

July 11, 2007

COMMENT ON THIS STORY

NEWCASTLE boss Sam Allardyce is poised to take his summer spending past £13million by swooping for Marseille skipper Habib Beye.

Big Sam quit the Toon’s Austrian training camp for talks with the Senegal ace, 29, over a £3.1m move.

Allardyce has been tracking the speedy right-back for more than six months and is confident of persuading the former Strasbourg star to join his Tyneside revolution.

Beye will be Newcastle’s fifth close-season signing, after Allardyce splashed out a total of £10m on Joey Barton, David Rozehnal, Geremi and Mark Viduka.

Toon deputy chairman Chris Mort said: “We’ve brought in four players and there’s more money available.”

Guest Verlaine

From the Sun:

By ONLINE REPORTER

July 11, 2007

COMMENT ON THIS STORY

NEWCASTLE boss Sam Allardyce is poised to take his summer spending past £13million by swooping for Marseille skipper Habib Beye.

Big Sam quit the Toon’s Austrian training camp for talks with the Senegal ace, 29, over a £3.1m move.

Allardyce has been tracking the speedy right-back for more than six months and is confident of persuading the former Strasbourg star to join his Tyneside revolution.

Beye will be Newcastle’s fifth close-season signing, after Allardyce splashed out a total of £10m on Joey Barton, David Rozehnal, Geremi and Mark Viduka.

Toon deputy chairman Chris Mort said: “We’ve brought in four players and there’s more money available.”

That's bollocks because clearly he left the camp to buy Deco. Clearly. Clearly.

From the Sun:

By ONLINE REPORTER

July 11, 2007

COMMENT ON THIS STORY

Worst put together article in history tbh.

Wonder how long it'll be till Wiki notice this edit :lol: :

Habib Beye (born October 19, 1977 in Suresnes (France), is a Senegalese footballer, who currently plays for French League 1 giants Olympique de Marseille, he is the current captain of the Mediterranean club, since the start of the 2006/2007 season. He made substitute appearances in Senegal's matches in the 2002 FIFA World Cup, against Denmark, Uruguay and Sweden, and is a regular feature in the Senegalese starting line up.

He played for RC Strasbourg before moving to Marseille in what was considered a surprise move, because he was so settled at his old club and was a firm favourite there. He is one of the most accomplished defenders in France's top tier. His preferred position in which he currently plays is right back. He is also the captain of Marseille

His performances this season have alerted the manager of premiership champions Newcastle United.

From the Sun:

By ONLINE REPORTER

July 11, 2007

COMMENT ON THIS STORY

£3.1m, another bargain in my book. Hes a big, physical right back who has a bit of pace about him. Also him being captain of Marseille says big things about him, very happy with this signing (hopefully its nearly past the post!)

If so, then 2 LBs, at least 1 CB and an attacking mF left on the shopping list :D