Ronal... Baptista on his way?

Crumpy Gunt

:D

Came across it ten minues ago, spent those ten minutes in fits of laughter. I wasn't going to post this in a new thread cos it was such drivel, but now that you have...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Came across it ten minues ago, spent those ten minutes in fits of laughter. I wasn't going to post this in a new thread cos it was such drivel, but now that you have...

Aye, there's nee chance they'll get £20m for Crouch man.

Aye, there's nee chance they'll get £20m for Crouch man.

That story about Ronaldinho was just about the only thing that could have been more ludicrous than the Crouch one.

NEWCASTLE have made a sensational enquiry about World Player of the Year Ronaldinho. The Toon asked about Ronaldinho’s availability during on-going discussions with Barcelona over possible transfer targets. But billionaire owner Mike Ashley has been told it will cost him a staggering £58m if he wanted to follow up his interest in the Brazilian superstar. Newcastle have also been talking with the Spanish giants about the possible signings of Edmilson, Eidur Gudjohnson and Deco.

But a Newcastle source said: “During the discussions Ronaldinho’s name came up. ”Newcastle asked about his availability but were told Barcelona would not consider anything less than £58m. ”Obviously Mike Ashley is a billionaire but it remains to be seen whether even he would sanction a deal of that magnitude.” Ashley wants to bring a global superstar to Newcastle to signal his intent following his £130m takeover of the club.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

(World Player of the Year indeed...)

Just out of interest, and this is totally hypothetical, if Ashley did decide to spend £58m of his own money to get him here plus £150,000 a week or whatever, as long as Allardyce was happy with it, would people begrudge Ashley of his "play thing"?

Just out of interest, and this is totally hypothetical, if Ashley did decide to spend £58m of his own money to get him here plus £150,000 a week or whatever, as long as Allardyce was happy with it, would people begrudge Ashley of his "play thing"?

It would be the most pathetic, desperate and irresponsible purchase in the history of football. It would be disgusting!

But this is exactly what you want isn't it?

Signing arguably the best playmaker on the planet since Maradona would be "desperate" would it? :lol:

That's almost as ridiculous as the NotW article itself.

And yes, seeing players like Ronaldinho in a Newcastle shirt is exactly what I want to see. Not going to happen though.

Signing arguably the best playmaker on the planet since Maradona would be "desperate" would it? :lol:

Considering our current standing and predicament of course it would be!

It would be an unbelievably cringeworthy desperate attempt to act like a succesful club when we have a lot of work to do to actually become one again. The amount spent on the fees and wages would be ludicrous and whether or not Ashley could afford it, it would still be embarrassing and would make the club look like a joke much worse than what West Ham do now.

So if Ashley turned around to Allardyce on Monday and said, "Ok Sam, I can see you want to buy a playmaker, I'll pay for Ronaldinho out of my own pocket. It won't affect the rest of your spending. Oh, by the way, there's the £7m you wanted for Fanni, Queudrue & Young".

You'd not be happy? You want your head examined. :lol:

And yes, seeing players like Ronaldinho in a Newcastle shirt is exactly what I want to see. Not going to happen though.

Me too but not now, as we quite frankly do not have any business even going for such players when we aren't even in Europe we would probably have to pay him £300,000 an hour for him to agree to come. Would be a horrible move. We have to earn the status that attracts these players and not try to buy them off.

So if Ashley turned around to Allardyce on Monday and said, "Ok Sam, I can see you want to buy a playmaker, I'll pay for Ronaldinho out of my own pocket. It won't affect the rest of your spending. Oh, by the way, there's the £7m you wanted for Fanni, Queudrue & Young".

Are you actually being serious right now?

I cannot have this conversation. If you think that would be a sensible thing to do then more power to you. I have had my say.

Oh ... and in response to your question, no I would not be happy I would be very dissapointed and borderline depressed.

I wonder if our older board members on here would have sniffed their noses up at Pele in the 70s because we weren't good enough, or Maradona mid to late 80s for the same reason in the same way that you've just reacted to my Ronaldinho question.

I wonder if our older board members on here would have sniffed their noses up at Pele in the 70s because we weren't good enough, or Maradona mid to late 80s for the same reason in the same way that you've just reacted to my Ronaldinho question.

Not a chance regarding Pele, I'd have walked barefoot over broken glass to have been able to watch him.

Are you actually being serious right now?

I cannot have this conversation. If you think that would be a sensible thing to do then more power to you. I have had my say.

Oh ... and in response to your question, no I would not be happy I would be very dissapointed and borderline depressed.

I don't think I can ever read one of your posts again without laughing everytime I see who wrote it...

Not a chance regarding Pele, I'd have walked barefoot over broken glass to have been able to watch him.

So great to finally have a board that makes these things a possibility, eh?  :lol:

If Ronaldinho was on a free and we managed to convince him to come here then that would be excellent.

To pay £58 million for him would be absolute madness. I would much rather we went for someone like Diego who is still an emerging talent and is the same kind of player who might indeed be interested in coming to us.

Just doesn't make sense to me. I hate the idea of these overlly grandiose gestures that supposedly show "intent". Too many good players out there that would be excellent for a fraction of £58 million.

£58 million?!!!