Ronal... Baptista on his way?

Crumpy Gunt

I wonder if our older board members on here would have sniffed their noses up at Pele in the 70s because we weren't good enough, or Maradona mid to late 80s for the same reason in the same way that you've just reacted to my Ronaldinho question.

If Ronaldinho was on a free and we managed to convince him to come here then that would be excellent.

To pay £58 million for him would be absolute madness. I would much rather we went for someone like Diego who is still an emerging talent and is the same kind of player who might indeed be interested in coming to us.

Just doesn't make sense to me. I hate the idea of these overlly grandiose gestures that supposedly show "intent". Too many good players out there that would be excellent for a fraction of £58 million.

£58 million?!!!

It's not about "intent". It was a hypothetical question about an owner signing his manager the best player in the world arguably (with Sam's permission) out of his own pocket for a big fee. If Barcelona weren't going to accept a penny less than that amount and Ashley said he'd pay it, why the hell would that be a bad thing???

In fairness to KaKa, I said I'd be devastated if we signed Owen and I stand by that, we f***** up royally imo.

Ronaldinho? I'd f****** love it. Hypothetically of course.

Bit of a difference between Owen & Ronaldinho though isn't there?

Well quite.

In fairness to KaKa, I said I'd be devastated if we signed Owen and I stand by that, we f***** up royally imo.

As we are as a club right now you'd be happy if we went out and signed him for £58 million?

Meanwhile in London Wenger is completing a deal for some kid that costs £500,000 who in a year or two will be one of th ebest midfielders in the country.

I dream of the day we sign the Ronaldinho's, Ronaldo's and Messi's at the right age so that they flourish while they are with us and we get to flog them for these kinds of prices (£58 million).

Like I said earlier, say in 1971 our chairman said he'd buy us Pele, would any of our fans then have said, "This is embarassing, desperate...I'm ashamed". Or in 1987 our chairman said, "There you go, there's Diego Maradona", would anybody have complained then?

KaKa's made himself look a bit stupid methinks.

As we are as a club right now you'd be happy if we went out and signed him for £58 million?

Meanwhile in London Wenger is completing a deal for some kid that costs £500,000 who in a year or two will be one of th ebest midfielders in the country.

I dream of the day we sign the Ronaldinho's, Ronaldo's and Messi's at the right age so that they flourish while they are with us and we get to flog them for these kinds of prices (£58 million).

Seriously though KaKa, how often has that happened? Anelka & Fabregas are the only two he signed for minimal fees who've went on to big things. Players like Vieira & Henry still cost a fair bit to sign in the first place. May be wrong, but was Vieira not this country's most expensive central-midfielder when he signed, even though he flopped at Milan? Was certainly on a par with players like Batty & McAteer around the £4m mark when he arrived and I can't think of many more expensive than that before those two.

Got to say that this whole conversation is complete bollocks :-)

Anyone who wouldnt welcome a signing like Ronaldinho no matter the circumstances needs their heeds seeing too IMO.

I know he would never come to the toon but FFS if it was to happen for whatever miracle then I would cream my pants to have one of the wolrds best players on our books.

Some of the posters on this board really take themselves and their opinions to seriously.... get a freakin life.....with comments like hes too good for us & hes a mercenary.

Some of you are never fookin happy.....

RANT OVER :-))

Got to say that this whole conversation is complete bollocks :-)

Anyone who wouldnt welcome a signing like Ronaldinho no matter the circumstances needs their heeds seeing too IMO.

I know he would never come to the toon but FFS if it was to happen for whatever miracle then I would cream my pants to have one of the wolrds best players on our books.

Some of the posters on this board really take themselves and their opinions too seriously.... get a freakin life.....with comments like hes too good for us & hes a mercenary.

Some of you are never fookin happy.....

RANT OVER :-))

Seriously though KaKa, how often has that happened? Anelka & Fabregas are the only two he signed for minimal fees who've went on to big things. Players like Vieira & Henry still cost a fair bit to sign in the first place. May be wrong, but was Vieira not this country's most expensive central-midfielder when he signed, even though he flopped at Milan? Was certainly on a par with players like Batty & McAteer around the £4m mark when he arrived and I can't think of many more expensive than that before those two.

£58 million me would be the highest transfer fee ever payed for a footballer and I would not be comfortable with us paying that for Ronaldinho at this moment in time. It would be embarrassing.

If I woke up tomorrow and heard West Ham had just bought Ronaldinho for £58 million I would laugh my head off and I would think they were a bloody joke. It would reek of desperation!

Maybe it's just me though ... which is fair enough.

By the way comparing Henry's fee of £10 million to Ronaldinho for £58 million is a tad outrageous.

£58 million me would be the highest transfer fee ever payed for a footballer and I would not be comfortable with us paying that for Ronaldinho at this moment in time. It would be embarrassing.

If I woke up tomorrow and heard West Ham had just bought Ronaldinho for £58 million I would laugh my head off and I would think they were a bloody joke. It would reek of desperation!

By the way comparing Henry's fee of £10 million to Ronaldinho for £58 million is a tad outrageous.

completely Nuts.....

If for instance we were to stregthen every other position we needed to and then have Ronaldinho...you would still be embarrased...quite frankly i wouldnt give a s***

Its like having your cake and eat it....... ffs stop having your head up your arse

completely Nuts.....

If for instance we were to stregthen every other position we needed to and then have Ronaldinho...you would still be embarrased...quite frankly i wouldnt give a s***

Its like having your cake and eat it....... ffs stop having your head up your arse

Okay, well I'm not sure why I'm being insulted here as I am entitled to my opinion but anyway ... no matter how much the team is strengthened that £58 million could always be spent more evenly to make the team on the whole even better. I can't see a realistic situation where we could strengthen the team to an extent that would justify spending £58 million on Ronaldinho.

The point being he would improve any team on the planet.

Given our financiall situation or even of we didnt have it...... we need to strengthen the squad but at the same time we need an influential play maker.

MA (or his team) have stated that he wants to shock world footy and this would be the way to do it.

Quite frankly Im of the opinion that it will never happen but this does not stop me wishing. Quite frankly if MA & co want to spend that much on a player then I wouldnt care....as long as the rest of the team is improved and strengthened....which it has been

if the two defenders come in this week thats being mentioned. then the defence is almost done and dusted. for now anyway. then why not "stun" the world with something like this?

quite agree....again still cant see it happening but this would shock the whole bloody universe.

Strengthen the whole team then bring in MR.Ed....... what a wet dream

Well it started as a joke but now its turning into "Yeah this is it baby. Can't wait for him to sign!!"

I think we all know its a joke....but im tired of peoples negativity and reasons not to sign any decent player.

Im not against signing free or cheap players but Im also not against splashing the cash if we have it.

Like I said in my first post....complete bollocks conversation

Guest optimistic nit

Just out of interest, and this is totally hypothetical, if Ashley did decide to spend £58m of his own money to get him here plus £150,000 a week or whatever, as long as Allardyce was happy with it, would people begrudge Ashley of his "play thing"?

i'd be wary personally.

Guest optimistic nit

Ok i'll explain why.

1) his value would decrease the second we bought him. we would not be able to sell for over 40mill probably maybe even 30.

2) he would get worse. he's good at barca because he's playing with very good flair players. buying ron would need us to commit to other players of a similar technical skill imo, which could cost another 30-40 million.

3) one player doesn't make a team. shearer got too big for the club imo, back in the day, it would be even worse if ronaldinho signed. he'd not just be bigger than us, he'd be able to do anything he wanted and get away with it.

4) if he signed for us, then what ambition does that show. my guesses he could follow a similar trend to the other rated players who lost their way here when they signed (although he plays with a smile, so this may not be the case).

5) i'd rather we had a team of 11 players, not 10 players and a superstar.

6) it doesn't work and never has worker when you have a segmented team, and by that i mean players of different levels on the same side. If we were to sign ronaldinho, he could be a like a fish out of water without players of a similar class on his side. this is sort of like point 2, but we sign ron and we'd need to have a starting XI of similar quality for it to really work imo.

Guest optimistic nit

Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester United

Chelsea, Newcastle, Leeds, West ham.

the top list is a list of clubs who built their success with solid foundations. the bottom list is a list of clubs who tried or are trying to spend big, in order to be big, go for big names etc... and buy success.