Passion was the reason for Ashleys takeover

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sicko2ndbest

Dont know whether this has been posted. Please delete if it has

Passion for Toon won dealJul 16 2007

by Amy Cartmell, Evening Chronicle

NEWCASTLE United’s global potential and its fans’ passion were key factors in Mike Ashley’s takeover deal, says the club’s former owner Sir John Hall.

Speaking exclusively to the Chronicle, Sir John said he thinks Toon fans around the world and the growth in broadband technology are crucial to the club’s business future.

But it will be at St James’ Park that the new owner will have a real taste of the fans’ passion and the responsibility that goes with owning the club, he said.

Sir John was first approached about selling his shares in the club by Mike Ashley’s team about four months ago.

He said: “I talked long and hard with his team. We went through things in detail and then it went dead for a while. But when they did come back it was all sorted in three days.”.

Mr Ashley, the Buckinghamshire-based billionaire who founded Sports Direct, has a reputation for avoiding the limelight.

Sir John described him as “an unassuming fellow who knows exactly where he wants to go” .

He added: “He’s a very successful businessman who just started out from the front room of a house”.

Sir John said that during their negotiations Mr Ashley’s team showed that they were well aware of both Newcastle United’s worth and the value of the fans’ loyalty.

But he reminded them that loyalty also brings responsibility.

Speaking from his own experience, Sir John predicted that Mr Ashley and his team will discover the strength of that loyalty when the new season opens.

“They realise this but it’ll become a true reality when they get really into the club and the first matches come.

“They will really find out about the passion then, because the passion for this club is greater than any other club I know.

“We haven’t won anything for years and they still come in their thousands.”

Sir John said Newcastle United was targeted by Mr Ashley and his team because of its “tremendous potential. “They said it was a tremendous brand name,” he said.

“There are all these Geordies around the world, and the big thing will come when they put matches on broadband and they can be watched around the world through the internet on television screens.

That’s what everyone is looking towards.”

Sir John also spoke of his “fantastic” years as club chairman.

“There were a lot of pressures, but it made you realise how people live their lives through a football club and what a responsibility you have to the fans, and that’s what I stress to Mr Ashley.

“You have a tremendous responsibility here.”

Sir John was speaking to the Chronicle at the launch of the Wansbeck Local Enterprise Growth Initiative project.

The £11.8m scheme is designed to change the fortunes of the former pit community where he was born 74 years ago.

Sir John congratulated the partner organisations that worked hard to win the Government cash.

But he added the fact that it was needed so much is a sign of past failures to foster a spirit of entrepreneurship in the wake of massive problems left behind by the end of mining.

Dont know whether this has been posted. Please delete if it has

Passion for Toon won dealJul 16 2007

by Amy Cartmell, Evening Chronicle

NEWCASTLE United?s global potential and its fans? passion were key factors in Mike Ashley?s takeover deal, says the club?s former owner Sir John Hall.

Speaking exclusively to the Chronicle, Sir John said he thinks Toon fans around the world and the growth in broadband technology are crucial to the club?s business future.

But it will be at St James? Park that the new owner will have a real taste of the fans? passion and the responsibility that goes with owning the club, he said.

Sir John was first approached about selling his shares in the club by Mike Ashley?s team about four months ago.

He said: ?I talked long and hard with his team. We went through things in detail and then it went dead for a while. But when they did come back it was all sorted in three days.?.

Mr Ashley, the Buckinghamshire-based billionaire who founded Sports Direct, has a reputation for avoiding the limelight.

Sir John described him as ?an unassuming fellow who knows exactly where he wants to go? .

He added: ?He?s a very successful businessman who just started out from the front room of a house?.

Sir John said that during their negotiations Mr Ashley?s team showed that they were well aware of both Newcastle United?s worth and the value of the fans? loyalty.

But he reminded them that loyalty also brings responsibility.

Speaking from his own experience, Sir John predicted that Mr Ashley and his team will discover the strength of that loyalty when the new season opens.

?They realise this but it?ll become a true reality when they get really into the club and the first matches come.

?They will really find out about the passion then, because the passion for this club is greater than any other club I know.

?We haven?t won anything for years and they still come in their thousands.?

Sir John said Newcastle United was targeted by Mr Ashley and his team because of its ?tremendous potential. ?They said it was a tremendous brand name,? he said.

?There are all these Geordies around the world, and the big thing will come when they put matches on broadband and they can be watched around the world through the internet on television screens.

That?s what everyone is looking towards.?

Sir John also spoke of his ?fantastic? years as club chairman.

?There were a lot of pressures, but it made you realise how people live their lives through a football club and what a responsibility you have to the fans, and that?s what I stress to Mr Ashley.

?You have a tremendous responsibility here.?

Sir John was speaking to the Chronicle at the launch of the Wansbeck Local Enterprise Growth Initiative project.

The £11.8m scheme is designed to change the fortunes of the former pit community where he was born 74 years ago.

Sir John congratulated the partner organisations that worked hard to win the Government cash.

But he added the fact that it was needed so much is a sign of past failures to foster a spirit of entrepreneurship in the wake of massive problems left behind by the end of mining.

I have no doubt Ashley has weighed up all the revenue streams and the full potential of the club within the PL environment. blueyes.gif

Let the dream begin.

Guest Invicta_Toon

who's f****** with my posts?

I hadn't noticed, they still look shite to me.  :razz:

fucking police state round here

can't be James, it happened too fast

who's f****** with my posts?

I hadn't noticed, they still look s**** to me.  :razz:

f****** police state round here

can't be James, it happened too fast

Maybe we all got you wrong Vic? Maybe your really a nice bloke that posts informative well thought out opinions, Who'd have thought it was those evil admins all along, editing them just to make you look a c***!

;-)

This article just says that Mike bought NUFC, not because he has any passion for the club.

He only bought it because the club has passionate customers (fans) and he can make a shitload out of them.