No Galacticos but good solid defenders needed - Big Sam

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest Guinness

I'm not sure which defenders Sam feels we've missed out on. Ben Haim and Sagna went to top four clubs, which is understandable. I can't think of any top class defenders who've gone to our competitors (eg West Ham, Spurs etc) that we should have been in for.

I think it could be in reference to others who have chosen to stay at their current clubs rather than move such as Beye. If we sounded him out as early as the link emerged then he could have become frustrated at the length of time any potential move was taking and therefore decided to stay put.

Sam says he wants Big strong defenders with Premiership experience.

Other than Hyppia and Campbell i am struggling to think who it they could be.

I think we are in a worrying position in terms of transfer targets.

Guest SwissMagpie

There are no Big strong defenders with Premiership experience that i can think of.

Hyppia already said that he is staying.cant see us bidding for Sol.

Maybe Curtis Davies,he is young but he has EPL experience.

Zat Knight? signed new contract.

Guest Ridzuan

I think its all mind games from Big Sam.Im sure he will go for Cannavaro.Hes not big,but he is good and solid,just what Sammy is looking for.

There are no Big strong defenders with Premiership experience that i can think of.

Hyppia already said that he is staying.cant see us bidding for Sol.

Maybe Curtis Davies,he is young but he has EPL experience.

Zat Knight? signed new contract.

It'll have to be someone like Barzagli then. He did say we'll look abroad if we can't find them in the Prem.

As far as players we've missed out on, I'm pretty sure Sam wanted Distin who ended up at Portsmouth. He's a good strong centre back with premiership experience for sure. Probably would have gone after Woodgate as well if he had been in the job a bit earlier.

I think Sam is worried because as most have stated there are not many big, strong defenders with premiership experience which is his priority, and so with each passing day the pool is only likely to get smaller.

I can't really think of anyone else who Sam might be currently targetting as far as the type of defenders he wants with premiership experience.

Off the top of my head Wes Brown?, Silvestre?, Yobo?, Hyypia?, Campbell?

Big Sam speaking to the Journal about Barzagli:

“He’s a very good player but it’s whether that money could be spent better on someone with Premiership experience,” he said. “Barzagli’s a top player but a top player with Premiership experience is more important to us.

“We’ve already got David (Rozehnal) in and if I put him in with someone else from another country, plus Steven Taylor and Stephen Carr, if he stays fit, there isn’t a lot of Premiership experience there. You could have difficulties in the early part of the season.”

I don't think we'll have any option but to go shopping abroad at this rate. As people are saying there are very few options in the Prem which meet his criteria.

Guest SwissMagpie

Sam is knows very well the eruopean market(unlike Roeder) and  i think that at this point of time - the best option is to sign players from abroad.

Id take Austrian U20 captain Sebastian Prodl who impressed very much in U20 WC and with him a player like Andrea Barzagli.both are Big Stoppers,very soild.the minus is that they have no EPL Exp .but i prefer them on Zat Knight or Sami Hyypia

Sam is knows very well the eruopean market(unlike Roeder) and  i think that at this point of time - the best option is to sign players from abroad.

Id take Austrian U20 captain Sebastian Prodl who impressed very much in U20 WC and with him a player like Andrea Barzagli.both are Big Stoppers,very soild.the minus is that they have no EPL Exp .but i prefer them on Zat Knight or Sami Hyypia

Good post.

Big Sam speaking to the Journal about Barzagli:

“He’s a very good player but it’s whether that money could be spent better on someone with Premiership experience,” he said. “Barzagli’s a top player but a top player with Premiership experience is more important to us.

“We’ve already got David (Rozehnal) in and if I put him in with someone else from another country, plus Steven Taylor and Stephen Carr, if he stays fit, there isn’t a lot of Premiership experience there. You could have difficulties in the early part of the season.”

I don't think we'll have any option but to go shopping abroad at this rate. As people are saying there are very few options in the Prem which meet his criteria.

So Allardyce doesn't see Geremi as a defender then?

Problem is though if we get all our new defenders from abroad it would be very likely we would start the season looking unstable at the back.

Unfortunately, due to our recent history of awful defending everyone would get on the teams back, and even worse the defenders and before you know it they would all go down the route of Jean-Alain which would not be good.

We need to support Taylor with at least a couple of premiership defenders like Sam says!

Just thought of a few lesser players who played in the prem last year that we might consider but I really didn't see enough of them last season ...

Anyone got any idea of how good Shittu or Sonko were last season? They would both fit the strong defender mould for sure. I'm beginning to wonder why we didn't go for Jagielka too at only £4 million.

Problem is though if we get all our new defenders from abroad it would be very likely we would start the season looking unstable at the back.

Unfortunately, due to our recent history of awful defending everyone would get on the teams back, and even worse the defenders and before you know it they would all go down the route of Jean-Alain which would not be good.

We need to support Taylor with at least a couple of premiership defenders like Sam says!

Just thought of a few lesser players who played in the prem last year that we might consider but I really didn't see enough of them last season ...

Anyone got any idea of how good Shittu or Sonko were last season? They would both fit the strong defender mould for sure. I'm beginning to wonder why we didn't go for Jagielka too at only £4 million.

Think we could do wose than Sonko or Ingimarsson, but I'm not sure they're really of the quality we need. A player of that ilk, plus one with PL experience of very good quality, plus a Johnny Foreigner would be good business.

Guest SwissMagpie

Maybe we did(Jag) but we missed the train as Sam said.

I think that if you choose a quality CB it doesnt matter if he has EPL exp. i prefer a Good CB without any expirence in England than avrege one who passed his peak who has 10 years of english football.

we need players that their Career curve is going upwards rather than downward

He is gutted we missed out on Chris Baird and Etuhu. Understandable really..

If there is anyone that we could bid the 11m of Barzagli money on it would be testing the water with Everton for Lescott for me.

Although I wouldnt want us spending that amount on him, testing the water with 8m would do fine in todays silly market.