is it really so hard?

Guest LucasUnger

I don't know why he's here - but I find it bizarre that you just assume he's here for money and that all the other Premiership investors are here for footballing reasons.

If he wants to make money, there are about a million ways to make it rich before paying £130m to buy a football club - Ashley should know, he's a billionaire and you think he's come here for the, what, £30m a year you said? That's peanuts to Ashley, and he'll have to spend some of that even if he wants the club to just stand still. It'll take him five years to break even. :lol:

'Sources' from inside the club via the press suggest he wants to go very big and make us one of the biggest in Europe. Now that might be bollocks, but so is assuming that because he hasn't lashed £50m up the wall in the first month that he's here for cash.

Where have I said all other Premiership investors are here to make money? Link?

The fact is it's going to cost him big money to get Newcastle into the CL, is the potential profit worth the initial investment to get us there?

I didn't say that, I said the opposite.

Aye, I know you did, it was a typo.

Anyway, where have I said all other Premiership investors are here for footballing reasons? Link?

You said that Abramovich's spending suggests he's not in it for the money - but West Ham, Man Utd, Liverpool and Man City, among others like Pompey, are already spending big, so we can assume they're not in it for the money either.

Man Utd make close to £50 million profit every year, there level of spending isn't out of the ordinary for them, Liverpool are similar but on a smaller scale, they've spent a lot but made close to £20 million in sales.

Pompey, West Ham and Man City haven't spent that much this summer, less than we spent some seasons under Shepherd in fact.

They've spent a lot compared to their usual spend, that comes from the new owners, plus it's not even August yet.

I agree that we need defenders btw, preferably top quality ones, we need other positions filled too, I just don't think getting on the new owner's back is going to do any good at this pont when we don't know much about him.

I don't know why he's here - but I find it bizarre that you just assume he's here for money and that all the other Premiership investors are here for footballing reasons.

If he wants to make money, there are about a million ways to make it rich before paying £130m to buy a football club - Ashley should know, he's a billionaire and you think he's come here for the, what, £30m a year you said? That's peanuts to Ashley, and he'll have to spend some of that even if he wants the club to just stand still. It'll take him five years to break even. :lol:

'Sources' from inside the club via the press suggest he wants to go very big and make us one of the biggest in Europe. Now that might be bollocks, but so is assuming that because he hasn't lashed £50m up the wall in the first month that he's here for cash.

The fact is it's going to cost him big money to get Newcastle into the CL, is the potential profit worth the initial investment to get us there?

Anyway, where have I said all other Premiership investors are here for footballing reasons? Link?

You said that Abramovich's spending suggests he's not in it for the money - but West Ham, Man Utd, Liverpool and Man City, among others like Pompey, are already spending big, so we can assume they're not in it for the money either.

Man Utd make close to £50 million profit every year, there level of spending isn't out of the ordinary for them, Liverpool are similar but on a smaller scale, they've spent a lot but made close to £20 million in sales.

Pompey, West Ham and Man City haven't spent that much this summer, less than we spent some seasons under Shepherd in fact.

They've spent a lot compared to their usual spend, that comes from the new owners, plus it's not even August yet.

I agree that we need defenders btw, preferably top quality ones, we need other positions filled too, I just don't think getting on the new owner's back is going to do any good at this pont when we don't know much about him.

Are you worried about the lack of signings at the back?

There's a good chance Taylor and Babayaro won't be fit for the start of the season which will leave us with a likely back four of Carr, Rosenhal, Ramage and Huntington.

Acceptable?

Another thing mate, you've been more vocal than most in the past about Shepherd not getting signings in quick enough and how not getting a proper pre-season in here could be linked to injuries from our new signings, is your opinion still the same with this new lot in charge?

There's a good chance Taylor and Babayaro won't be fit for the start of the season which will leave us with a likely back four of Carr, Rosenhal, Ramage and Huntington.

Acceptable?

Another thing mate, you've been more vocal than most in the past about Shepherd not getting signings in quick enough and how not getting a proper pre-season in here could be linked to injuries from our new signings, is your opinion still the same with this new lot in charge?

Is it fair to judge the new lot when they have only just completed the takeover. January or next season will be the real time to judge what they are like in the market.

I think a lot of people are just assuming that Ashley will speculate to accumulate, that he'll take a gamble on getting us into top 6 and eventually top 4 in the hope of reaping the rewards.

It'll cost a fortune to do that and might be money wasted. Man Utd and Liverpool were already up there, Chelsea are an anomaly. Is Ashley a gambling man who thinks he can take those kinds of clubs on, or someone who sees an opportunity to make a steady profit from an underachieving club in a growing industry?

I think a well run club can make a steady profit finishing top half every year but not showing real ambition to risk going further. For all we know, Ashley might well know this and see football as an ever growing industry where he can invest modest sums to keep the club at a reasonable level high enough to make money from TV rights, merchandising etc. There are loads of new owners coming in, they can't all fit in the top 6, yet all seem to fancy their chances of making money.

My gut feeling is that we're seen as a club with massive potential and have been bought by someone who thinks he can tap into that. But just how ambitious our new owner is, I'm not sure. He may have no visions of us competing with the top 4 because it'd involve vast sums of his money and represents a big gamble. Rather he may have visions of trying to maintain a top 8 finish every year and reaping the rewards from that, while sorting out the club's wage bill and improving its marketing potential to line his pockets.

We'll have to wait and see, but I'm a bit concerned to see our manager pleading for funds via the media to his new owners while Ramage and Huntington are turning out in our strongest available defence.

Acceptable?

Is it fair to judge the new lot when they have only just completed the takeover. January or next season will be the real time to judge what they are like in the market.

Of course you can judge them now, however if things change in the future then you change your opinion.

Acceptable?

I think we need three defenders absolute minimum, in an ideal world we'd have five because Rozehnal and Taylor are the only ones I'd feel comfortable with on a Premiership football pitch but I don't think that's going to happen.

I don't think I've ever been vocal about Shepherd not getting signings in in good time, I've been vocal about the manager not getting them in, like last summer when Roeder put his feet up and told us "not to worry, bags of time yet", Souness did the same then spunked it in the last week.

I think Allardyce knows what we need, unlike those two clowns, and I think he'll get what we need up to a point. I think this week is the crucial one. We are hearing rumours of bids going in for defenders, and other players too, so we shall see. That the papers aren't crediting us with any really solid interest means fuck all, cos they know exactly that.

I think a lot of people are just assuming that Ashley will speculate to accumulate, that he'll take a gamble on getting us into top 6 and eventually top 4 in the hope of reaping the rewards.

It'll cost a fortune to do that and might be money wasted. Man Utd and Liverpool were already up there, Chelsea are an anomaly.

I think a well run club can make a steady profit finishing top half every year but not showing real ambition to risk going further. For all we know, Ashley might well know this and see football as an ever growing industry where he can invest modest sums to keep the club at a reasonable level high enough to make money from TV rights, merchandising etc. There are loads of new owners coming in, they can't all fit in the top 6, yet all seem to fancy their chances of making money.

O0

Acceptable?

all fair comment. The fact is, nothing has happened yet that wouldn't have happened under the old board, and if the lack of activity so far had actually been under the old board, they would be getting crucified.

We have yet to see if Ashley backs his managers more than the old board, and if he doesn't then we are really no better off, particularly when it is the old board who appointed Allardyce and the logical conclusion is that whatever success, or lack of, occurs, it would have happened whether there had been a change of owner or not.

Acceptable?

Of course you can judge them now, however if things change in the future then you change your opinion.

Very harsh to judge them or even compare them to the old board now. Did the old board have to complete a transfer and review of the club whilst spending money last summer?

I think people are assuming buying a club is basically "Here's £130m, now I own the club. Many thanks, bye". I would guess its a hell of a lot more complicated.

Plus Allardyce is new to the club and has to get whatever he needs doing done (away from football transfers). I doubt he has spent the whole year planning on what Newcastle players he is going to buy with whatever money Ashley is going to give him.

The review has only just been completed hasn't it? Hopefully he has been given a small amount to get started on getting players in and will be given a proper transfer budget now the review is complete but obviously this is all guess work.

Baggio mate, there is no way in the world anyone buys a business with the express intention of 'holding revenues steady'. This is part of an overall growth strategy, just like every other major business deal done on the planet.

I dont know whether the funds are available or not but we should try and remember that even offering silly money for a player, does not mean they would want to come here. It seems sam has been turned down on a couple of occasions and is now chasing lesser targets. He could also be waiting for the right players, a very risky approach as he himself has been at pains to point out.

For me, money is available but the targetted players are not willing to come (Heinze for example). Just because he hasnt spent it doesnt mean its not there.

The points about the review of the club and Ashley being new and needing time not only miss the above point, its also wrong, as Shinawatra at Man city proves. 

The De facto post on the matter.

I also agree and as Sam has hinted with his 'medicals' comment that bids have been accepted only to fall flat with the players themselves, this is nothing new especially with the current state of the club.

I think it is way too early to start worrying that we're going to start the season with 'such and such' in the back four, I'm totally confident this won't happen and players will be appearing at the club over the next two weeks. People like Ashley are winners and have big ego's they're not going to sit around and let the first window go by without making a mark, I am TOTALLY sure of this. A guy with the net personal wealth of around £2billion isn't and won't fanny around trying to save  the odd £10m here and there.

To grow the business and the brand and to take advantage of synergies and revenue streams with reg to his other businesses Newcastle United must be successful......And we will be.

Acceptable?

Very harsh to judge them or even compare them to the old board now. Did the old board have to complete a transfer and review of the club whilst spending money last summer?

I think people are assuming buying a club is basically "Here's £130m, now I own the club. Many thanks, bye". I would guess its a hell of a lot more complicated.

Plus Allardyce is new to the club and has to get whatever he needs doing done (away from football transfers). I doubt he has spent the whole year planning on what Newcastle players he is going to buy with whatever money Ashley is going to give him.

The review has only just been completed hasn't it? Hopefully he has been given a small amount to get started on getting players in and will be given a proper transfer budget now the review is complete but obviously this is all guess work.

That just seems like one excuse after another.

Allardyce has been here since May, he knew enough about our squad not to offer the likes of Bramble a contract extension so you would expect him to know a few decent players to bring in as replacements.

Ashley took control of the club and would have known he'd have to invest in the playing side, that's just a part of football so to say he hasn't released funds because of it is just an excuse, even the manager has said they're moving too slow as far as transfers are concerned.

It'll cost a fortune to do that and might be money wasted. Man Utd and Liverpool were already up there, Chelsea are an anomaly.

O0

Make him sound like Ken Bates.

Acceptable?

all fair comment. The fact is, nothing has happened yet that wouldn't have happened under the old board, and if the lack of activity so far had actually been under the old board, they would be getting crucified.

We have yet to see if Ashley backs his managers more than the old board, and if he doesn't then we are really no better off, particularly when it is the old board who appointed Allardyce and the logical conclusion is that whatever success, or lack of, occurs, it would have happened whether there had been a change of owner or not.

Exactly.

In January we were believed to have had bids turned down for Curtis Davies and Peter Crouch, where is the money gone that would have financed those deals?

Acceptable?

Exactly.

In January we were believed to have had bids turned down for Curtis Davies and Peter Crouch, where is the money gone that would have financed those deals?

Christ sure glad we didn't buy those two Curtis £11m and Crouch £15m.... :laugh:

Acceptable?

Allardyce has been here since May, he knew enough about our squad not to offer the likes of Bramble a contract extension so you would expect him to know a few decent players to bring in as replacements.

Ashley took control of the club and would have known he'd have to invest in the playing side, that's just a part of football so to say he hasn't released funds because of it is just an excuse, even the manager has said they're moving too slow as far as transfers are concerned.

Sam, having been a premiership manager for a number of years, would have known EXACTLY in his own mind what he thought of NUFC's players, strengths and shortcomings. If he in fact knew in advance of getting the job that he was on his way here - highly possible in view of him resigning from Bolton - even more so.

He would also have had numerous players in his little black book of players he rated and admired and would like to sign for his club, whether that be at Newcastle or Bolton too.

Acceptable?

Exactly.

Christ sure glad we didn't buy those two Curtis £11m and Crouch £15m.... :laugh:

Well that was who Roeder wanted and Shepherd was just backing his manager like good chairman do.

Acceptable?

Sam, having been a premiership manager for a number of years, would have known EXACTLY in his own mind what he thought of NUFC's players, strengths and shortcomings. If he in fact knew in advance of getting the job that he was on his way here - highly possible in view of him resigning from Bolton - even more so.

He would also have had numerous players in his little black book of players he rated and admired and would like to sign for his club, whether that be at Newcastle or Bolton too.

Neef do you really believe Ashley or Mort are nixing deals?

Acceptable?

Exactly.

Well that was who Roeder wanted and Shepherd was just backing his manager like good chairman do.

Roeder was so delusional he was a borderline fantasist....

Exactly.

We didn't have the money in the first place, I'm sure an £80million debt has been mentioned which would suggest that we were just going further into debt.

Acceptable?

Very valid excuses though especially if we are comparing with the old board.

Just repeating myself here but this would be the first business deal in history based on an objective of doing nothing.

If ohmelads or Baggio think that a Billionaire has bought this club just to leave it as it is, please provide an example of another business deal done like this? From any sector of the business world. Is this called an 'invest and leave it as it is' strategy. Thats a new one for me.

He has spent £133m of his money to give the fans what they wanted, taken on around £80m worth of debt and a company making very little profit. Just step back and think about that. Say with the new TV revenue and some frugal operating in the transfer market and taking into account player wage inflation, you'd be looking at what? A profit of £10m a year.

Thats less than a 5% return on the outlay and debt. I would have just put the money in the bank in that case, still think some current accounts give you that rate, maybe Ashley doesnt realise this  :lol:

"Believed" by who?

This summer we're "believed" to have bid for Deco and inquired about Ronaldinho!

All depends on what you read in the papers, personally I prefer to believe fuck all until I see something concrete, to my recollection there was fuck all concrete about Davies or Crouch.

Exactly.

We didn't have the money in the first place, I'm sure an £80million debt has been mentioned which would suggest that we were just going further into debt.

That debt against season ticket sales is totally manageable. I'd look at ManU purchase against club saga for a really frightening debt and Arsenal and Chelsea don't look too clever either in real terms. Debt burden at PL clubs has been growing for the last decade and Ashley would have totally been aware of our debt servicing requirements.