No Ashley transfer funds! Yet!

Guest Brazilianbob

I think "success" for NE5 means something like "qualifying for the Intertoto reasonably often".

What does it mean for you?

Qualifying for the Champions League reasonably often, winning some other trophy in the not-too-distant, having a team that I can be proud of on the pitch. Keegan and Robson both managed to touch success briefly, but neither was able to get a hold on it. I want us to get good, and hang on to it for a while.

I was in the Moroccan Sahara earlier this year, and dirt-poor kids in these isolated oasis towns would come up and say, "Hey mister, you English?" And if I said yes, they'd give me the thumbs-up and say "Chelsea!"

Success for me would be those kids at least knowing what I was talking about when I replied: "Nah, Newcastle!!"

Well, there are a lot more people globally who recognise the name "newcastle" than before the Halls and Shepherd, I know you won't understand or believe that though.

Still. Your mate Arsprilla did his bit though. Leading the line when we slid from 2nd to 13th is just the way to gain such recognition. That makes him a success, of course  :laugh:

Yes, a few of these Johnnie Foreigners do recognize the name. Their eyes glaze over. They've vaguely heard of Newcastle, but they're not sure in what context. Sometimes, a dim light bulb. "Shearer?" That's right, Shearer.

its a bit of a shame if they do that on account of someone just not agreeing with them that there's an automatic silver rainbow waiting around the corner.

I can understand how you come to that after reading his post.  :nope:

So I take it no-one knows the whereabouts of one Howaythelads then?

I think most people have dropped out of this thread now for the usual reasons.

its a bit of a shame if they do that on account of someone just not agreeing with them that there's an automatic silver rainbow waiting around the corner.

Good name for a hippy band.

NE5--Would you mind answering the question "would you rather fred were still here or would you rather take the risk with ashley ?"

i've read your previous answers and they don't seem to make sense,you see when i asked my wife to marry me i'd have been pissed off had she replied "well my answer depends on how you treet me in our first few years" when i voted at the general election there was no box marked "depends on what happens in the next couple of years."

it's a question for now,i wish we could do it your way,no-one would ever make a mistake.

I didn't hear Ashley say he was going to bankroll managers, did you ? Has he had any previous experience of owning football clubs so we can judge him ?

If you did, please show me a link.

I wouldn't have liked that hedge fund though, and quite a lot of chairman at other premiership and big city clubs around the country either.

Either Polygon or Belgravia would have been a nightmare imo.

absolutely

I think "success" for NE5 means something like "qualifying for the Intertoto reasonably often".

What does it mean for you?

Qualifying for the Champions League reasonably often, winning some other trophy in the not-too-distant, having a team that I can be proud of on the pitch. Keegan and Robson both managed to touch success briefly, but neither was able to get a hold on it. I want us to get good, and hang on to it for a while.

I was in the Moroccan Sahara earlier this year, and dirt-poor kids in these isolated oasis towns would come up and say, "Hey mister, you English?" And if I said yes, they'd give me the thumbs-up and say "Chelsea!"

Success for me would be those kids at least knowing what I was talking about when I replied: "Nah, Newcastle!!"

Well, there are a lot more people globally who recognise the name "newcastle" than before the Halls and Shepherd, I know you won't understand or believe that though.

Still. Your mate Arsprilla did his bit though. Leading the line when we slid from 2nd to 13th is just the way to gain such recognition. That makes him a success, of course  :laugh:

Yes, a few of these Johnnie Foreigners do recognize the name. Their eyes glaze over. They've vaguely heard of Newcastle, but they're not sure in what context. Sometimes, a dim light bulb. "Shearer?" That's right, Shearer.

Thanks for acknowledging the point

that was Hawkwind by Silver Machine

Good live like. LSD optional.

The thing about Ashley is, we just have to wait and see. There's nothing much we can do to affect the course of events, except maybe unsettling our own players by booing them in friendlies. We have no idea what's really going on behind the scenes, and never will.

In all this, life under Ashley differs from life under Shepherd precisely not one little bit.

Wasnt it Silver Machine by Hawkwind? First trip for me.

Er... Silver Machine by Hawkwind.

Er... Silver Machine by Hawkwind.

Well spotted just testing ;D Classic song.

Anyway, as it seems like you all just want to agree with each other, its time for me to go I'm knackered

At uni, I lived with a nutjob from Lincoln who'd lock himself in his room, put Silver Machine on as loud as possible and down 3 litres of cheap cider. Got an email from him not too long ago. He told me he'd gone for a job interview and the interviewers thought it was some kind of Candid Camera-type spoof as he was that incomprehesible and insane, and was asked to leave the building. Like Spud from Trainspotting x 10.

That isn't a possibility at all to be honest, there's no reason for it.  After all he hasn't actually lost £140 million here.  His money is still there (or most of it), just that now its in assets instead of cash.  If he's looking to make money directly from the club (and he may not be) then it will have to be long term.  For instance get regular champs league Football for a few years, win a few trophies, generally make the club much more successful and then re-float on the stock market.  Sell a minority share (49% for instance) and he could possibly make back his initial £140 million investment (or maybe even more) while still being majority share holder.

Exactly. People are talking as if this £140M has disappeared down a black hole and he must now invest heavily to try and claw it back.

It may well be this strategic review that's holding everything up, which is a bit of a concern because none of us knows when that review will be concluded. The positive news is that it sounds like Allardyce has at least been putting bids in for players, so he's not just sat on his arse waiting for the thumbs up.

We don't just want to sign players for the sake of it, but equally we can't afford to wait around trying to find the next Maradona. As they say, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

At uni, I lived with a nutjob from Lincoln who'd lock himself in his room, put Silver Machine on as loud as possible and down 3 litres of cheap cider. Got an email from him not too long ago. He told me he'd gone for a job interview and the interviewers thought it was some kind of Candid Camera-type spoof as he was that incomprehesible and insane, and was asked to leave the building. Like Spud from Trainspotting x 10.

Nutjobs from Lincoln?

Surely not.

I remember Hawkwind headlining Glastonbury in 1981. There were only a few thousand there. At the front, there were these longhairs banging the base of the pyramid stage with rocks, vaguely in time to the music. When the band stopped and went off, they kept on banging. Through the encore they banged, and kept on again afterwards. It got to the point where the roadies were wheeling the last monitor off the stage, and these guys were still banging away, completely lost in the land of whatever.

That isn't a possibility at all to be honest, there's no reason for it.  After all he hasn't actually lost £140 million here.  His money is still there (or most of it), just that now its in assets instead of cash.  If he's looking to make money directly from the club (and he may not be) then it will have to be long term.  For instance get regular champs league Football for a few years, win a few trophies, generally make the club much more successful and then re-float on the stock market.  Sell a minority share (49% for instance) and he could possibly make back his initial £140 million investment (or maybe even more) while still being majority share holder.

Exactly. People are talking as if this £140M has disappeared down a black hole and he must now invest heavily to try and claw it back.

No, invest heavily just to stay afloat. Without matching your competitors in terms of investment you will get left behind and the risk of relegation is too high for such tiny margins overall in football above alternative uses of his money. We're not making money, he is £140m in cash down and acquired £80m in debt. Ticking along is not an option for that level of investment.

Wasnt it Silver Machine by Hawkwind? First trip for me.

Aye.

No, invest heavily just to stay afloat. Without matching your competitors in terms of investment you will get left behind and the risk of relegation is too high for such tiny margins overall in football above alternative uses of his money. We're not making money, he is £140m in cash down and acquired £80m in debt. Ticking along is not an option for that level of investment.

Well that's reason for this strategic review, the business isn't making money and probably hasn't been run as well as it should. I agree it isn't an option, but so far Ashley's competitors have spent a fortune and he still hasn't shown his hand.

The £80m debt is a very valid point, he clearly has plans to make serious money with this club or he wouldn't have taken that on. How much he plans to invest this summer is open to conjecture though, I'm growing increasingly concerned that the pool of targets is getting smaller by the day regardless of the size of the kitty. There may be 5 weeks left, but clubs tend to get very arsy around the last couple of weeks because it's so close to the deadline and they don't have time themselves to find replacements. It can be a very messy time to do business because you leave yourself at the mercy of the selling club. Most of us and the manager agree that we need 4 more players, when you need that many signings 5 weeks suddenly doesn't sound like such a long time  :undecided:

Well that's reason for this strategic review, the business isn't making money and probably hasn't been run as well as it should.

The £80m debt is a very valid point, he clearly has plans to make serious money with this club or he wouldn't have taken that on. How much he plans to invest this summer is open to conjecture though, I'm growing increasingly concerned that the pool of targets is getting smaller by the day regardless of the size of the kitty. There may be 5 weeks left, but clubs tend to get very arsy around the last couple of weeks because it's so close to the deadline and they don't have time themselves to find replacements. It tends to be around that stage of the window that you witness panic buying, like Sibierski, Rossi and Bernard on the final day. Most of us and the manager agree that we need 4 more players, when you need that many signings 5 weeks suddenly doesn't sound like such a long time  :undecided:

Well one of the ways he could make money is to just build the brand without being arsed about the foundations, get the club competing near or in the CL and sell the place for £400-500m+. We were probably really worth about £200m when we were sold, maybe more but with the debt we had a price that was lower. If he gets us near the CL and clubs like Liverpool are worth £400m now, they are going to be worth a hell of a lot more in 5 years and so would we. Football is growing quickly.

Thats not the long term view though, there is obviously the more ambitious plan of breaking into the top 4. Whether that is a reality, as you have quite rightly pointed out, is nowhere near being solved right now. Its certainly not looking remotely likely at the moment for next season.

Well one of the ways he could make money is to just build the brand without being arsed about the foundations, get the club competing near or in the CL and sell the place for £400-500m+. We were probably really worth about £200m when we were sold, maybe more but with the debt we had a price that was lower. If he gets us near the CL and clubs like Liverpool are worth £400m now, they are going to be worth as hell of a lot more in 5 years. Football is growing quickly.

Thats not the long term view though, there is obviously the more ambitious plan of breaking into the top 4. Whether that is a reality, as you have quite rightly pointed out, is nowhere near being solved right now. Its certainly not looking remotely likely at the moment for next season.

This was what I was getting at in the other thread but I didn't express it too well. It doesn't seem to occur too often in football but it's a possibility that he has short term plans. I haven't read up on him too much but I seem to recall that he's done this sort of thing before.

I'm very surprised Ashley to date hasn't invested on the transfer side though because his competitors are all spending heavily. The strategic review is understandable but as Allardyce says we are getting left behind.

Guest black

Of course there is also the possibility that Ashley has decided not to spend a penny until he has recouped his massive outlay in purchasing the club!  Lets face it he has got the TV money for this season which amounts to about 25% of his outlay, so a bit of asset stripping here and there and he has his money back.

Are you talking about the same man who made 30 million euros in eight weeks by buying and selling 120 million euros worth of Adidas shares?

I think you've got your Ashley's mixed up.