No Ashley transfer funds! Yet!

Guest Brazilianbob

you mean having an alternative [but possibly correct] opinion to the numerous who blindly agree with each other ?

Like it or not, its a relevant comment that may indeed be true, that he does not intend to spend his own money on the club. Why do you think otherwise ?

Apart from that, the WUM deserves ridicule in spades.

Wake up and smell the coffee, it just might be correct.

You might turn out to be correct with some of the above but the comment about Ashley not spending money is no more than a crock of s***, he's spent £133 million to buy the club and he's taken on £80 million in debt.  For the first time in the history of Newcastle United we've got a sole owner, one who has dragged more cash out of his pocket than we've ever seen before.

He has employed a top businessman who is now looking at the club to see how it stands.  We might not be taking massive leaps but we do seem to be laying the foundations to move forward by make good decisions for the club.

If things work out well for us I think you will be privately gutted.

Unlike yourself, I was not attracted to the club by the potential success that the Halls and Shepherd brought to the club, I supported them a long time before that, hoping for success.

will you answer my question please....would you rather fred was still here or take the chance with ashley ?

please try not to dodge the question with more about a future neither of us no as fact,i'm asking about about "now",we cannot know what the future holds but we have to make decisions...what's yours ?

My answer is dependent on how they back their managers. We don't know yet if Ashley will back his managers more than the Halls and Shepherd. YOu are asking me to say who I prefer, based on what exactly ? Their personality ? I don't give a toss about Fred saying daft things in a brothel, likewise I don't give a toss if Ashley never makes a single quote to the press about anything. Neither scenario matter at all.

My instinct is that the club is in safe hands with a man who will cover the debt undertaken in expanding the stadium, and a single owner who has delisted the club. But we can't be sure at all until we see the extent of his ambition and football nous. He may be perfectly happy just existing in the premiership and making small annual profits.

We can't expect him to spend his own money on the club.

There are also lots of clubs now in the hands of rich men. They are all looking to be in the CL and get their money back, and they can't all do it. Fact of life.

Stop trying to change history, the debt is in the region of £80 million and the last set of accounts showed the debt against expending the stadium was less than £40 million, I think it was £37.

The amount of money spent is not a sign of one being better than the other, you've got a warped set of values, and it’s what you get for the money.

Do you think Ashley would have wanted the club that it was in 1992 ?

The debt is "manageable", taken against season ticket sales. All clubs have this, even manure are massively in debt since being taken over by the Glaziers. Why do you make out we are the only club with such a debt ? We know the answer to that don't we  ;D

The only person trying to change history is yourself. You think the club has been run by shit directors for the last 15 years, since they found a club on its knees at the bottom of the old 2nd division and left it completely transformed into a big operation.

Well, quite clearly fighting for promotion from the old division 2 is enough for you, as you think it is no different to qualifying for europe more than everyone bar 4 clubs over the span of a decade.

No money = no success.

This is absolute fact. It is your failure to grasp such things which make it obvious you didn't really support the club when we had s*** directors, otherwise you wouldn't even dispute it.

What do you class as success?

You must think it's the amount of money we spend regardless of the outcome, at least that's the way it comes across.  I'm giving you every opportunity to answer the question but you seem to want to avoid it for some reason, I've no idea why.

I think "success" for NE5 means something like "qualifying for the Intertoto reasonably often".

Qualifying for europe is qualifying for europe. When we won the Fairs Cup, we finished 10th. when we qualified for the intertoto, we were 7th.

Care to explain how this happened, and why you are unhappy with finishing 7th in the league - a position achieved twice in over 30 years prior to 1992 I may add.

BTW, your hero Arsprilla led the line for a long period when we slid from 2nd to 13th, and scored a pretty outstanding 2 goals in the process, you obviously think he was "successful" I take it ?

I think "success" for NE5 means something like "qualifying for the Intertoto reasonably often".

What does it mean for you?

Qualifying for the Champions League reasonably often, winning some other trophy in the not-too-distant, having a team that I can be proud of on the pitch. Keegan and Robson both managed to touch success briefly, but neither was able to get a hold on it. I want us to get good, and hang on to it for a while.

I was in the Moroccan Sahara earlier this year, and dirt-poor kids in these isolated oasis towns would come up and say, "Hey mister, you English?" And if I said yes, they'd give me the thumbs-up and say "Chelsea!"

Success for me would be those kids at least knowing what I was talking about when I replied: "Nah, Newcastle!!"

Deja vu

:lol:

Quality and vintage stuff from all concerned though. Just goes to show that the most interesting debate on club ownership is our club. The debate is solved pretty much everywhere else but our debate rattles on as there has been no sign of 'spending power' in the transfer market.

Will it happen? Will Ashley invest more than would have been possible under the previous board? Only time will tell and i'm sure each move along the way will be scrutinised.

The likelihood of Ashley investing heavily into the club is greater than the likelihood of him not though. 

The debt is "manageable", taken against season ticket sales. All clubs have this, even manure are massively in debt since being taken over by the Glaziers. Why do you make out we are the only club with such a debt ? We know the answer to that don't we  ;D

The only person trying to change history is yourself. You think the club has been run by s*** directors for the last 15 years, since they found a club on its knees at the bottom of the old 2nd division and left it completely transformed into a big operation.

No idea if Ashley would have wanted the club in 1992, probably not.

In the region of £44 million was borrowed originally for the extension, that money was borrowed with the idea of it being financed through the sale of season tickets, we now have a reported debt of £80 million.

The debt was not manageable, it has been growing for the last two years so it wasn't exactly under control.  I can't remember how much it increased by last year but I'm sure it was by more than we spent on transfers, somebody else may be able to confirm or correct that.

When have I ever said that the club has been run by shit directors for the last 15 years?

I'll answer that one for you because you don't like answering, the answer is nowhere.

Well, quite clearly fighting for promotion from the old division 2 is enough for you, as you think it is no different to qualifying for europe more than everyone bar 4 clubs over the span of a decade.

No money = no success.

This is absolute fact. It is your failure to grasp such things which make it obvious you didn't really support the club when we had s*** directors, otherwise you wouldn't even dispute it.

What do you class as success?

You must think it's the amount of money we spend regardless of the outcome, at least that's the way it comes across.  I'm giving you every opportunity to answer the question but you seem to want to avoid it for some reason, I've no idea why.

I'm giving you the opportunity to explain why you think we have a divine right to win one of the three trophies ? Or alternatively, explain to us all how you think that spending no money or little money will bring such success ? As you clearly appear to think the approach adopted by the board for 30 years prior to 1992 was no different to the one the Halls and Shepherd did ?

It's heartening to see just how much expectations have been raised under the Halls and Shepherd, its just a bit of a shame you don't realise it.

If you seriously think that generating and spending money is not part of aiming to be a successful club, you must have been ecstatic when we sold our trophy players Beardsley, Gazza, Waddle and Pop Robson for a profit and replaced them with cheaper replacements ?

The only person trying to change history is yourself. You think the club has been run by s*** directors for the last 15 years, since they found a club on its knees at the bottom of the old 2nd division and left it completely transformed into a big operation.

No idea if Ashley would have wanted the club in 1992, probably not.

Not.

NE5--Would you mind answering the question "would you rather fred were still here or would you rather take the risk with ashley ?"

i've read your previous answers and they don't seem to make sense,you see when i asked my wife to marry me i'd have been pissed off had she replied "well my answer depends on how you treet me in our first few years" when i voted at the general election there was no box marked "depends on what happens in the next couple of years."

it's a question for now,i wish we could do it your way,no-one would ever make a mistake.

NE5--Would you mind answering the question "would you rather fred were still here or would you rather take the risk with ashley ?"

i've read your previous answers and they don't seem to make sense,you see when i asked my wife to marry me i'd have been pissed off had she replied "well my answer depends on how you treet me in our first few years" when i voted at the general election there was no box marked "depends on what happens in the next couple of years."

it's a question for now,i wish we could do it your way,no-one would ever make a mistake.

Admitting we are better off now doesnt mean admitting we were poor off before. We are hopefully now better off.

What does it mean for you?

Qualifying for the Champions League reasonably often, winning some other trophy in the not-too-distant, having a team that I can be proud of on the pitch. Keegan and Robson both managed to touch success briefly, but neither was able to get a hold on it. I want us to get good, and hang on to it for a while.

I was in the Moroccan Sahara earlier this year, and dirt-poor kids in these isolated oasis towns would come up and say, "Hey mister, you English?" And if I said yes, they'd give me the thumbs-up and say "Chelsea!"

Success for me would be those kids at least knowing what I was talking about when I replied: "Nah, Newcastle!!"

Well, there are a lot more people globally who recognise the name "newcastle" than before the Halls and Shepherd, I know you won't understand or believe that though.

Still. Your mate Arsprilla did his bit though. Leading the line when we slid from 2nd to 13th is just the way to gain such recognition. That makes him a success, of course  :laugh:

I didn't hear Ashley say he was going to bankroll managers, did you ? Has he had any previous experience of owning football clubs so we can judge him ?

If you did, please show me a link.

I wouldn't have liked that hedge fund though, and quite a lot of chairman at other premiership and big city clubs around the country either.

I'm giving you the opportunity to explain why you think we have a divine right to win one of the three trophies ? Or alternatively, explain to us all how you think that spending no money or little money will bring such success ? As you clearly appear to think the approach adopted by the board for 30 years prior to 1992 was no different to the one the Halls and Shepherd did ?

It's heartening to see just how much expectations have been raised under the Halls and Shepherd, its just a bit of a shame you don't realise it.

If you seriously think that generating and spending money is not part of aiming to be a successful club, you must have been ecstatic when we sold our trophy players Beardsley, Gazza, Waddle and Pop Robson for a profit and replaced them with cheaper replacements ?

It's not like you to totally distort what somebody posts, Ok, maybe it is.  How the hell can I comment on any divine right to anything because I've never thought or said that we have a divine right to anything, the same way as I didn't think Shepherd had a divine right to failure, I don't suppose he had actually because most of his appointed managers shared it with him.

As for the approach adopted by Hall and Shepherd, it was the same as the earlier boards when it came to taking from the club and leaving it in debt.

I wasn't too bothered about Robson going, I was more than happy with his replacement, I wasn't bothered about Waddle either apart from the fee being a stitch up, Gazza and Beardsley, gutted.

I didn't hear Ashley say he was going to bankroll managers, did you ? Has he had any previous experience of owning football clubs so we can judge him ?

If you did, please show me a link.

I wouldn't have liked that hedge fund though, and quite a lot of chairman at other premiership and big city clubs around the country either.

Either Polygon or Belgravia would have been a nightmare imo.

So I take it no-one knows the whereabouts of one Howaythelads then?

I think most people have dropped out of this thread now for the usual reasons.

its a bit of a shame if they do that on account of someone just not agreeing with them that there's an automatic silver rainbow waiting around the corner.

Simple fact is, nothing has happened that wouldn't have happened anyway, and at the moment we are heading for the new season undermanned with players, and with injuries, again. And all we are getting is excuses for the lack of backing, that is needed.

If this had been the old board, they would be getting crucified, and thats a fact.