Taylor: I can play against Celtic

NSG

www.nufc.co.uk

STEVEN Taylor is ready to return to action in a black and white shirt but admits at one point he feared he'd miss the start of the new season.

Tayls injured his ankle during England Under-21's semi-final defeat against hosts and eventual winners Holland at this summer's European Championships.

But the 21-year-old centre-back resumed full training with his Magpies team-mates this week and says he has an outside chance of figuring against Celtic on Thursday.

The Geordie defender told Newcastle World TV: "We've been back two weeks now and I'm working hard and I'm getting there.

"I joined back in training this week and now I need to play some games.

"Hopefully I will play some part against Celtic but we'll have to wait and see how things go in training."

And Steven admits that at one point he thought he wouldn't be ready for United's season-opener at Bolton on August 11.

He added: "It was a big blow to get injured away with England and at one point I thought I'd miss the start of the campaign.

"But the physios at Newcastle have been great and I'm raring to go now.

"It was disappointing to get injured at the tournament but it was a great experience, you are playing against the best in Europe and that's what you need and it can only be good for Newcastle and for myself."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Good news, even if he doesn't play tomorrow, it's great that he's nearly fi again. We need as much as we can get defensively :thup:

Great News  :thup:

Its always good to hear players exceed healing expectations...

Out of our whole squad, I'm not surprised at all that it's Stevie Taylor exceeding them. Great news!

Guest DavB93

why start a new thread for this? pointless tbh

Worth it's own thread, where else would you put it.... :lol:

why start a new thread for this? pointless tbh

You're right, our best defender coming back to fitness isn't worth it's own thread. I should have merged it with "Shepherd: I did my best"  :thup: :lol:

Please nobody risk him if he's not 100&

I promise I won't risk him unless he is 100^.

If he ends the day 100* it'll do his batting average the world of good.