Boukary Drame joins Sochaux

Guest hindu times

Guest Gemmill

How miserable is Baggio man? :lol:  He posts like a man who's just opened up his lunchbox and found a foil-wrapped turd where he thought his banana was.

Guest exilim

If he was that good and only cost £1 million then Allardyce would have signed him weeks ago, even if it was only to be back up.

Blatantly a fall-back option. :rolleyes:

He could have simply exhausted his options at home who he thought were his immediate best bets (Bridge, Heinze, Silvestre, Shorey, Baines?) and had to move outside of the "experienced Premiership defender" bracket, which is exactly what he said he might have to do last week. He hasn't been able to get in his ideal targets and so has moved onto what he probably sees as the "next best thing" - isn't this a good way of working? Isn't that how we ended up with Martins?

Whether this is because they've all turned us down or we can't afford them is anyone's guess.

We went in for Martins when he handed a transfer request in at Inter, up until them I'd have said he would have been viewed as being out of our league.

Allardyce has already said that he can get the quantity but not sure about the quality so I'm not going to holding my breath that this lad is up to much although I hope I'm wrong, as I've said if this lad was good value at £1 million he would have brought him in as a squad player weeks ago.

Optimistic fans finds it harder to accept the truth out there surely. But even if i were to be blinded with optimism, i will take him for 1 million because we don't really have much choices do we?

If he was that good and only cost £1 million then Allardyce would have signed him weeks ago, even if it was only to be back up.

He could have simply exhausted his options at home who he thought were his immediate best bets (Bridge, Heinze, Silvestre, Shorey, Baines?) and had to move outside of the "experienced Premiership defender" bracket, which is exactly what he said he might have to do last week. He hasn't been able to get in his ideal targets and so has moved onto what he probably sees as the "next best thing" - isn't this a good way of working? Isn't that how we ended up with Martins?

Whether this is because they've all turned us down or we can't afford them is anyone's guess.

We went in for Martins when he handed a transfer request in at Inter, up until them I'd have said he would have been viewed as being out of our league.

Allardyce has already said that he can get the quantity but not sure about the quality so I'm not going to holding my breath that this lad is up to much although I hope I'm wrong, as I've said if this lad was good value at £1 million he would have brought him in as a squad player weeks ago.

Not necassarily. Blatantly obvious that Sam has had higher targets and this guy was just an 'if it all goes pants' option. It's all gone pants, so he's looking toward him now.

Guest exilim

My guess is that if height doesn't affect his decision on the new left back, then we might really only have 10million to spend.

If we were to buy Baines for 6m, what about the rest of the defenders?

It makes sense that we are paying 1million pounds for a fullback and the other for more defenders.

Using that logic we now can't possibly sign any good players.  Because if any of the future players we might sign were any good we'd have signed them weeks ago.. yeah?

I'd strike Baines and Shorey from that list janitor, IMO if Allardyce wanted either of them we'd have them..

Not necassarily. Blatantly obvious that Sam has had higher targets and this guy was just an 'if it all goes pants' option. It's all gone pants, so he's looking toward him now.

Which suggests he isn't that good, whichever way you want to dress it up I suppose.

Which suggests he isn't that good, whichever way you want to dress it up I suppose.

It suggests he isn't as good as Sam's first priorities.

My guess is that if height doesn't affect his decision on the new left back, then we might really only have 10million to spend.

If we were to buy Baines for 6m, what about the rest of the defenders?

We offered £7 million for Heinze, so that logic goes out of the window right there.  The fact that we haven't offered for Baines tells me one thing, Allardyce doesn't like him as a defender (he spoke of wanting a defender first and foremost rather then a attacking player who can defend).

YG: Also blatantly obvious that too many people these days come from the Football Manager school of opinions (not you this time, mind!), been guilty of this myself in the past but starting to see past the trees more and more.

Teasy: As for striking Baines/Shorey from the list, we couldn't possibly know if Baines wants to leave the North-West/Shorey the South, or if we could afford them, etc. I'm not sure if it's as simple as "Oh, Newcastle are interested... see you later!" these days, especially during the current (rather confusing) climate.

Guest Guinness

seems like he forced his way into team second half of last season, anyone watch emirates cup? psg were supposed to have been really impressive, wonder if he played?

Not even on the bench.

Could indicate a move is close?

I've never seen him play, but from what I've read he sounds promising. I see no harm in signing a player with potential to offer a bit of competition in our problem position. Just hope the reason we seem to be struggling in the market is because the players we're after aren't available rather than a lack of funds being available.

What is this "that good" you keep talking about :)  Its meaningless without a definition.

YG: Also blatantly obvious that too many people these days come from the Football Manager school of opinions (not you this time, mind!), been guilty of this myself in the past but starting to see past the trees more and more.

Good job you edited. :lol:

Only noticed that just before i clicked on 'Post'.

Also, in regards to this, he can't be much worse than Bernard was for us last season unless he's also criminally unfit/injured for the entire campaign.

Which, to me, equals further squad improvement if nothing else.

Looks like Sam considering a gamble signing to sort out the left back spot.  I'd take a gamble on this French kid though over us not signing anyone, everything I've read about him is generally positive. Just think that we've not spend that much so why not go for Baines instead, who is available. 

Using that logic we now can't possibly sign any good players.  Because if any of the future players we might sign were any good we'd have signed them weeks ago.. yeah?

Not really, if this lad was any good Allardyce would have signed him up the first chance he got if he was available for as little as £1 million, even if it was as back up.

The fact he's going after him after making the comment that he can get the quantity but not the quality suggests he's not that good, it seems a desperate attempt to get someone in.

I realised with my track record that you might take that the wrong way so I was quick to rectify it :lol:

What is this "that good" you keep talking about :)  Its meaningless without a definition.

He, if he were to sign, and Rozehnal might turn out to be class for all we know.

I realised with my track record that you might take that the wrong way so I was quick to rectify it :lol:

Yeah, i was deep in the process of ranting. :lol:

Teasy: As for striking Baines/Shorey from the list, we couldn't possibly know if Baines wants to leave the North-West/Shorey the South, or if we could afford them, etc. I'm not sure if it's as simple as "Oh, Newcastle are interested... see you later!" these days, especially during the current (rather confusing) climate.

Baines considered moving to Sunderland (took him over a week to finally decide not to go there), so yes I think its extremely safe to say he'd move here in a flash, he's obviously looking to move but nobody bar Sunderland have offered for him, which tells its own story..  Shorey, well that's less obvious but again I think he'd come.  And yes we do have the money available for either player, we offered more for Heinze then it would take to sign either of them.

That good as in not the quality that we need at left back.

You're going to have to deal with the fact that we're not going to spend signficant money on a proven left-back, Baggio.

You're going to have to deal with the fact that we're not going to spend signficant money on a proven left-back, Baggio.

Why not? Because Ashley won't back his manager like Shepherd did?