Hugo Viana

Guest Toonie

Guest Toonie

Hi, could someone fill me in on what happened with him? Just read about him yesterday. youth player of the year. sounds like he could have been the next C.ronaldo or nani, what happened?

Horribly unsuited to the Premiership and generally not as good as people thought he was going to be anyway.

He was nothing like Ronaldo as a player either. Same goes for Nani I suspect, though I've never really seen him play tbh.

Guest Toonie

ok thanks. and what happened with this santiago munez kid. He looked really promising and now Ive heard hes gone and signed for real madrid. what a wanka

He was alright, but too lightweight for the Premier League. Good passer. Not a defensive midfielder...

Always remember him bottling a challenge in the Waffa that led directly to a goal.

His best position was just behind the forwards but he played out of position mostly on the left wing iirc

Guest 22bnw

ok thanks. and what happened with this santiago munez kid. He looked really promising and now Ive heard hes gone and signed for real madrid. what a wanka

Ahh you'll have to wait until the third film to find that one out  :parky:

Apparently he's gonna play for Argentina at the 2006 World Cup...I thought he was Mexican?

Hi, could someone fill me in on what happened with him? Just read about him yesterday. youth player of the year. sounds like he could have been the next C.ronaldo or nani, what happened?

Very slow. Good left foot. No heart. Totally unsuited to football in this country and doesnt seem to have done much elsewhere. Highly rated at the time. I went down to Wolves where he made his debut (iirc) in pre-season and he was poor. He had superb vision and technical skill. Patrick Barclay wrote about him tearing England U21s to pieces at the time and reckoned we had bought a cert. As it turned out he was gutless. Some good performances - many harped on about him not getting a role in central midfield but Dyer and Speed played well there so he had no chance and Jenas also kept him out. Mainly covered for Laurent Robert at first although that clearly didnt suit him.

Guest 22bnw

He once came on for Portugal against England too and looked f****** ace.

Didn't he score one of the penalties?

His best position was just behind the forwards but he played out of position mostly on the left wing iirc

Which is surprising considering his best form for us was that 2002-3 season whenever he covered for Robert.

Agreed. Nobody noticed his inability to chase back, or get involved then though. We were used to that with Robert. In the centre he was very poor.

Apparently he's gonna play for Argentina at the 2006 World Cup...I thought he was Mexican?

You just fucking know they're gonna make it look like he scored the Maxi Rodriguez goal.

Changed due to timing/practicalities etc.

He's off to LA Galaxy.

Guest winchestermag

Cracking footballer, played out of position largely, bottled a challenge, yes, but on the edge of the Marseille penalty area. We have a habit of coaching football out of players, changing under TCA hopefully.

I disagree with others on this. In his first season, he looked a potential class act to me, and I remember most message boards at the time being full of praise for him with calls being made for the team to be built around him. Honestly, there were plenty of threads about him, but extremely few criticising him - and why should there be when he was playing well for a youngster in his first season here? Much of the "hes not suited to the Premiership" only came out after his miserable second season.

Hes slow, yes, isnt a strong tackler, check, doest dribble, but ultimately his ability on the ball was absolutely first rate when he first came here, and he used the ball very intelligently. He should have been the guy that the team was built around because he could pull all the strings, but with the team being built around Shearer and therefore needing wingers in a 4-4-2 (Shearer at that stage was never going to play a lone role), he was always going to struggle.

What killed his career for us was not being unsuitable to the Premiership, but wasting away in the reserves for about 8 months, watching Jenas and Speed having shockingly woeful seasons whilst Viana's personal dreams of playing in Euro 2004 in his homeland were absolutely shattered. The lad's confidence was absolutely destroyed, when he returned to the team he even managed to look a shadow of the player he was in his first season here, thats how bad it was.

Shame, but shit happens.

Cracking footballer, played out of position largely, bottled a challenge, yes, but on the edge of the Marseille penalty area. We have a habit of coaching football out of players, changing under TCA hopefully.

Can hardly accuse Bobby Robson of that can you? He didnt do badly with Beattie, Gates, Brazil, Romario etc.  We do have a habit of blaming anyone but the player. He was spineless and that was patently obvious from the start. Good control, good passer. Decent shot. In the end he just wasnt athletic enough or brave enough.

Guest 22bnw

In some ways similar to Luque, technically very gifted but didn't have the right mind for the Premiership

In some ways similar to Luque, technically very gifted but didn't have the right mind for the Premiership

Surprised this comparison hasn't been made yet. Very similar in terms of playing style ('lazy') and NUFC career.