Everything falling into place?

TRon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bloody hell...a week ago everyone was shitting themselves because we were struggling to get anyone through the door...now we look like we may have got 2 or 3 signings in, two of them defenders and we are still carping!

which defender should we have bought for £6m?

Baines, Shorey, Bridge?

Any of them would have more impact than Smith for £6m.

Bridge is going to play on crutches is he?

Guest johnson293

Bloody hell...a week ago everyone was shitting themselves because we were struggling to get anyone through the door...now we look like we may have got 2 or 3 signings in, two of them defenders and we are still carping!

Excatly - Sam has already said that a lot of the players approached do not want to join us, as they want European football that they can get elsewhere.

He and the chairman have said that they will not sign players for the sake of it, and that they must be the right players - doesn't matter whether they cost nothing or a few million, as long as they perform for the club.

Look what happened with the last defender we spent big money (£8m) on??!!!!!

Taylor will play right back if everyone is fit I reckon.

......................Given

Taylor...Cacapa...Rozenhal...Dragutinovic

.............Geremi........Barton

.....................Smith

......Viduka....................Martins

....................Owen

Out of our options i'd go:

Geremi...Taylor...Rozenhal...Drago

If Cacapa is move of a lightweight defender then there is no point putting him alongside Rozenhal who's of similar style.

Baines, Shorey, Bridge?

Didn't realise Bridge was never going to play football again, sorry.

Baines, Shorey, Bridge?

We were hardly going to sign a player who won't be fit until Xmas though, were we?

Taylor will play right back if everyone is fit I reckon.

......................Given

Taylor...Cacapa...Rozenhal...Dragutinovic

.............Geremi........Barton

.....................Smith

......Viduka....................Martins

....................Owen

Out of our options i'd go:

Geremi...Taylor...Rozenhal...Drago

If Cacapa is move of a lightweight defender then there is no point putting him alongside Rozenhal who's of similar style.

Beginning to fill out nicely.

Baines, Shorey, Bridge?

We were hardly going to sign a player who won't be fit until Xmas though, were we?

Edmilson nearly joined, why not Bridge?

Guest johnson293

Baines, Shorey, Bridge?

But surely a move for Bridge would then raise the arguement among suporters - "why are we buying injured players??" - Much like when Edmilson was reported as being a target (and may still be a future signing).

Seems that the manager is damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't by many!!

Baines, Shorey, Bridge?

Aye, but he wouldn't have been joining until Jan iirc. Either way, he hasn't signed. The lad from Sevilla may well be a stop gap / cover in the longer term if Allardyce is after Bridge, which wouldn't surprise me.

Baines, Shorey, Bridge?

I think SA would of bid for Bridge had he been fit but the other 2 dont seem to fit into SA idea of a quality LB.

I can understand some people moaning about getting Smith when we need defenders but what if we have money to spend and SA is just making sure he gets the right players that will suit his style, So far SA has said he wants experienced defenders who have also had experience in Europe and the likes of Baines dont have such experience.

Mort said today that we have money to spend.

Baines, Shorey, Bridge?

But surely a move for Bridge would then raise the arguement among suporters - "why are we buying injured players??" - Much like when Edmilson was reported as being a target (and may still be a future signing).

Edmilson is much more of a gamble than Bridge imo. Bridge is alongside the best LB's in the Country. Edmilson is unknown in this league and was going to cost a fortune, was a huge gamble am glad we didn't take up on. I'd rather go for this Cacapa, sounds a much better player (we need leaders (especially Taylor)) if he stays fit.

I can't see how people are saying we don't need a Dyer replacement. As far as I can tell we only have Emre, Butt and Barton as recognised central midfielders + Geremi who's played there occasionally.

If Sam's plan is 4-5-1, then we need hard-working central midfielders alongside those attacking wingers.

Baines, Shorey, Bridge?

Aye, but he wouldn't have been joining until Jan iirc. Either way, he hasn't signed. The lad from Sevilla may well be a stop gap / cover in the longer term if Allardyce is after Bridge, which wouldn't surprise me.

The true details never really emerged, i've no idea how it was going to pan out, too many sources saying different things.

If Chelsea are up for selling Bridge then we should go for him. Even if its a loan until Jan with us paying his wages until then, then having the option of taking him full time for £6m. I know it means were paying wages for a player we cant play, but were having a hard time brining in players, and ones of Bridge's quality are going to need an incentive to shift, club and player. Just a thought, people don't kill me for it.  :razz:

Baines, Shorey, Bridge?

Edmilson is much more of a gamble than Bridge imo. Bridge is alongside the best LB's in the Country. Edmilson is unknown in this league and was going to cost a fortune, was a huge gamble am glad we didn't take up on. I'd rather go for this Cacapa, sounds a much better player (we need leaders (especially Taylor)) if he stays fit.

2/3 years ago I would have been over the moon with Cacapa...But he wasn't so good last year iirc But he is still decent although it will take a few months for him to bed into the pace and physicality of the PL. I think we should leave Edmilson well alone this is his second knee op IN TWO YEARS.

Much better perhaps to have a look at THIAGO MOTTA who was transfer listed this week.

smith could be a perfect buy for the system we play, or a complete flop. i cant work out which.

i dont think we'll be getting into the intertoto on fair play this year though.

I can't see how people are saying we don't need a Dyer replacement. As far as I can tell we only have Emre, Butt and Barton as recognised central midfielders + Geremi who's played there occasionally.

If Sam's plan is 4-5-1, then we need hard-working central midfielders alongside those attacking wingers.

Its more 4-3-3 though, has to be with the strikers and wingers we've got.

We still could do with a couple in mid, hopefully Diop is on his way.

smith could be a perfect buy for the system we play, or a complete flop. i cant work out which.

i dont think we'll be getting into the intertoto on fair play this year though.

I seriously wonder how people have doubts about Smith...We're not going to play like Brazil and he is totally a SA type grafter with a bit of nous and will chip in with goals.

Baines, Shorey, Bridge?

2/3 years ago I would have been over the moon with Cacapa...But he wasn't so good last year iirc But he is still decent although it will take a few months for him to bed into the pace and physicality of the PL. I think we should leave Edmilson well alone this is his second knee op IN TWO YEARS.

Much better perhaps to have a look at THIAGO MOTTA who was transfer listed this week.

His knee operation was planned and it was to clean up what they left last time, it's not as if he broke down with another serious injury.

He's better than Motta too.

Guest Darth Toon

Certainly looking a lot healthier. Sam's clearly working on plan B, but he's doing it sensibly in that if we bring in players from outside the Prem that don't adapt we can move them on without taking a massive loss.

Stabilise the squad, get off to a good start and if by January European football is looking likely you'll see a lot better class of players becoming available.

Seems to be clearly focussing on strong, physical players who can also play a bit - if we can pick up Papa Bouba Diop as well I'll be extra pleased!  :coolsmiley:

Baines, Shorey, Bridge?

Edmilson is a horrible transfer, i'm glad its died off now. I wonder how much Barca want for Guddy? Would much prefer him over Smith.