Why do we bother with Shola?

Parky

Guest Andy_M

Bollocks. Even if Fowler is past it, his current ability is better than Shola's.

And this idiotic quote confirms it.

:lol: So one of the most natural finishers the premiership has ever seen isn't as good as Shola "push over the opponent and concede a free kick, ball hits off my shin and that's my first touch" Ameobi? :lol: Is that what you're saying :lol: And you're referring to MY quote as idiotic. f*** me.

You said 'current' ability. The idiot comment still stands as far as i'm concerned. If you asked all 20 prem managers to take Fowler or Shola this season, who do you think they would choose?

If they were both on the same wage, Fowler.

Guest Andy_M

:lol: So one of the most natural finishers the premiership has ever seen isn't as good as Shola "push over the opponent and concede a free kick, ball hits off my shin and that's my first touch" Ameobi? :lol: Is that what you're saying :lol: And you're referring to MY quote as idiotic. f*** me.

How many goals did Fowler score from open play in the Premiership last season?

Not sure. 16 appearances 7 goals though. Not bad for a back-up.

For me, that's why we aren't a top club anymore. We settle for below par squad players where the big clubs replace them with better players. I'd player Fowler ahead of Shola every day of the week, yet the former wasn't a good enough squad player for Liverpool, so why should the latter be good enough for us.

You say I'm being silly, but you would seriously consider Cole, a player released from his contract by Fulham (!) despite all that crap you spouted about signing the best. Tell me then, which player would you sign to be our 5th choice striker? Apart from Cole that is.

I don't think we need a 5th choice striker. If for some reason the other 4 can't play, then give a young lad like Carroll a go. Somebody who might actually get good. Shola is past that point, you can give him chance after chance, he's not going to get better.

So now you are back-tracking from your original assertion that the top clubs release the likes of Fowler and sign better players, with your "play Carroll" plea? If you are going to make a point, at least think it through and try and stick with it.

How many goals did Fowler score from open play in the Premiership last season?

Not sure. 16 appearances 7 goals though. Not bad for a back-up.

He didn't score any from open play in the league actually, 3 goals in 12 appearances and all of them came from the penalty spot.

Guest Andy_M

For me, that's why we aren't a top club anymore. We settle for below par squad players where the big clubs replace them with better players. I'd player Fowler ahead of Shola every day of the week, yet the former wasn't a good enough squad player for Liverpool, so why should the latter be good enough for us.

You say I'm being silly, but you would seriously consider Cole, a player released from his contract by Fulham (!) despite all that crap you spouted about signing the best. Tell me then, which player would you sign to be our 5th choice striker? Apart from Cole that is.

I don't think we need a 5th choice striker. If for some reason the other 4 can't play, then give a young lad like Carroll a go. Somebody who might actually get good. Shola is past that point, you can give him chance after chance, he's not going to get better.

So now you are back-tracking from your original assertion that the top clubs release the likes of Fowler and sign better players, with your "play Carroll" plea? If you are going to make a point, at least think it through and try and stick with it.

Fowler wasn't 5th choice though? My point remains valid.

Carroll has never delivered at the highest level, Shola has.

And Shola is incapable of delivering to the necessary standard consistantly. Shola doesn't have the potential to do this, whereas a younger player might.

Or Robbie Fowler?  :lol:

My point about Fowler was that he was content as back up and Liverpool got rid. I merely compared his situation to Shola's. I didn't say we should sign Fowler dipshit. ;)

You were arguing that Carroll or Fowler would be better. You said that a a younger player might deliver consistently. I then posed the logical extension of your argument 'or even Robbie Fowler' seeing as you were arguing he was better.

Guest Andy_M

And Shola is incapable of delivering to the necessary standard consistantly. Shola doesn't have the potential to do this, whereas a younger player might.

My point about Fowler was that he was content as back up and Liverpool got rid. I merely compared his situation to Shola's. I didn't say we should sign Fowler dipshit. ;)

You were arguing that Carroll or Fowler would be better. You said that a a younger player might deliver consistently. I then posed the logical extension of your argument 'or even Robbie Fowler' seeing as you were arguing he was better.

I argued that Liverpool had, imo, released a better player because they believe that your back up players should be good enough to be first team players.

My point about Carroll being, that as we already now have 4 good strikers in Viduka, Smith, Owen, and Martins, we don't particularly need a 5th choice, so why hold on to a below par Ameobi? In the unlikely event of needing that 5th striker, Carroll can have a chance to prove himself, rather than allowing a player who won't ever make the grade play.

I argued that Liverpool had, imo, released a better player because they believe that your back up players should be good enough to be first team players.

My point about Carroll being, that as we already now have 4 good strikers in Viduka, Smith, Owen, and Martins, we don't particularly need a 5th choice, so why hold on to a below par Ameobi? In the unlikely event of needing that 5th striker, Carroll can have a chance to prove himself, rather than allowing a player who won't ever make the grade play.

I would much rather Carroll fulfilled this role too.

It'll do Carroll (and the club in the long-term) the world of good to have him go out on loan rather than being 5th/6th choice striker and playing for the reserves this season.

We have signed Viduka and Smith so that answers your carping about top clubs signing better players. We clearly have done, pushing Shola right down the pecking order. So your only remaining gripe is that Shola is still here, even if he isn't likely to feature much. As has been pointed out, Carroll is far better off getting experience on loan so you haven't really come up with any realistic alternatives apart from burned out coke-heads. Who probably wouldn't come to be 5th choice either.

Now what?

Guest Andy_M

We have signed Viduka and Smith so that answers your carping about top clubs signing better players. We clearly have done, pushing Shola right down the pecking order. So your only remaining gripe is that Shola is still here, even if he isn't likely to feature much. As has been pointed out, Carroll is far better off getting experience on loan so you haven't really come up with any realistic alternatives apart from burned out coke-heads. Who probably wouldn't come to be 5th choice either.

Now what?

As has been pointed out, I didn't suggest signing Fowler.

So you think it's acceptable having somebody like Shola as 5th choice? Shola is probably earning in excess of 20k per week, which I think is acceptable for your immediate back-ups, but not for somebody likely to hardlys feature. Shola isn't good enough to be an immediate back-up, and has seemingly been replaced from first choice last season to 5th choice this season. Do you think a 5th choice is necessary, and if so, does you think it's acceptable to have somebody on these wages so far down the pecking order?

The same regarding Luque, he's more than good enough to be 5th choice striker, with more current ability than Carroll, but is it appropriate to have high or highish earners that are likely to never feature? Imo, no, hence why I think keeping Shola is silly.

Shola is cover for Mark Viduka, not just a 5th choice striker. I believe Allardyce has made that clear. That's why he won't be sold IMO, unless we buy again which is not going to happen.

Guest Andy_M

Shola is cover for Mark Viduka, not just a 5th choice striker. I believe Allardyce has made that clear. That's why he won't be sold IMO, unless we buy again which is not going to happen.

I honestly believe that if there was somebody stupid enough to bid for Shola he'd be sold in an instant. Unfortunately, nobody in their right mind would (here's hoping Roeder gets another job in management and takes him off our hands). I think Allardyce might be our first manager in years to acknowledge the fact that Ameobi isn't good enough. He's obviously not going to come out and say it and destroy the players confidence, but by signing two strikers, and by persuading Owen and Martins to both stay, his actions surely suggest that Shola isn't in his plans.

Well we can all speculate what Sam isd thinking, but I know what he actually said. Yes Shola would be sold if we got a decent bid for him, I'm sure that's true, but unless it was worthwhile money I think he'd be kept as cover for Viduka like I said.

Guest Andy_M

Well we can all speculate what Sam isd thinking, but I know what he actually said. Yes Shola would be sold if we got a decent bid for him, I'm sure that's true, but unless it was worthwhile money I think he'd be kept as cover for Viduka like I said.

So Smith Owen and Martins are all fighting for the other position then, with Shola direct cover for Viduka?  :idiot2:

Which is a shame, as he is not capable of being a cover for even an average player like Viduka.

So Smith Owen and Martins are all fighting for the other position then, with Shola direct cover for Viduka?  :idiot2:

Are you suggesting that Allardyce has a screw loose? I think what he meant that he would provide another big man option up front.

Guest Andy_M

Are you suggesting that Allardyce has a screw loose? I think what he meant that he would provide another big man option up front.

And I'm suggesting that Allardyce won't opt for a big man up front if Viduka is injured and Martins, Owen and Smith are fit.

Guest Andy_M

I can see Fatuka missing quite a few games ditto Owen so all this bollocks about 100th choice striker is nothing to hide behind.

Even if they were both injured at the same time, Martins and Smith would start, surely?

I can see Fatuka missing quite a few games ditto Owen so all this bollocks about 100th choice striker is nothing to hide behind.

Even if they were both injured at the same time, Martins and Smith would start, surely?

Well you know what I mean...He isn't miles from the first team as some are making out as part of their argument.

Guest Andy_M

Well you know what I mean...He isn't miles from the first team as some are making out as part of their argument.

I beg to differ. It's going to take 3 strikers injured at the same time for him to be in contention for a starting place. Pointless him even being here.

Guest firetotheworks

The anti Shola brigade are getting a bit boring now like, bringing back stats from a few years ago as apposed to his strike rate over the last 2 seasons which has been good, no matter how shit a footballer you think he is.

Guest Andy_M

The anti Shola brigade are getting a bit boring now like, bringing back stats from a few years ago as apposed to his strike rate over the last 2 seasons which has been good, no matter how s*** a footballer you think he is.

Aye he's considered immense, that's why Big Sam signed two new strikers. Or not. The Shola defending brigade can't seem to accept that our management have finally realised he's hump and actually done something about it!

The anti Shola brigade are getting a bit boring now like, bringing back stats from a few years ago as apposed to his strike rate over the last 2 seasons which has been good, no matter how s*** a footballer you think he is.

Aye he's considered immense, that's why Big Sam signed two new strikers. Or not. The Shola defending brigade can't seem to accept that our management have finally realised he's hump and actually done something about it!

The Shola defending brigade have never claimed he was a first choice striker though. And what has our management done except agree and pushed him down the peckiong order. No one's chasing him out of town with a pitchfork are they? Not unless you and Northern Monkey are planning a visit to Shola's house sometime after dark...