My thoughts on a few teams

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

I'll start with sunderland - they won't go down in my opinion, although they won't finish in the top 10 I don't think. They'll always give their all and be hard to beat and they should scrape enough points at home to keep them safe. Not comfortably so, but enough to give them some hope about the seasons to come.

Spurs - I don't like their defence nor midfield, while up front they seem to lack variety, Keane and Berbatov are too similar, and so are Defoe and Bent. Jol is quickly becoming a tinkerman too and this and their unbalanced team, will hamper them. They let in a lot of goals last season and were overran many a time in midfield, they reminded me of our team in 2001, capable of turning it on of course, but far too reliant on individuals to bail them out. Only our individuals back then were a step above theirs. Having spent so much money and expected to push on, Jol will be under massive pressure and if they aren't up there by Xmas, their notoriously fickle fans will turn and so will the media who have given them good press for a while now. My dark horse to struggle, but I still expect them to have a good season. Not as nailed on as their spending, good press and depth would suggest though.

Bolton - It seems Sammy Lee has tried to stamp his own influence on the team in one mad rush, new formation, lots of new players signed and a different style of football. All this will serve to do is backfire on him. My tip to drop massively. They have enough quality in the shape of their spine to stay up, but Big Sam's departure will be the end of them as a Premiership force.

Villa - our next opponents look ragged at the back, devoid of creativity in midfield and toothless up front. I look at them and wonder where the goals will come from and who will provide them. The have lots of pace and energy and any MON side will work their socks off, so they won't be fighting relegation or anything like that, but they'll do extremely well to finish in a strong position, not unless they bring in real quality before the transfer window shuts that is.

Liverpool - despite their spending, they don't look any different. Solid at the back, strong in midfield and just about good enough up front. However they lack that real creative spark and panache that Champions usually show. Like Jol, Rafa will be under massive pressure this season too and unless they are in contention around Xmas time, things could kick-off at Anfield. For me, too much weight rests on Torres shoulders and other than him, they lack quality up front where as on the flanks, they lack real pace. Babel has signed but he's not a winger and they need that type of drive and penetration. Top 4 for them, but still nowhere near title material which could see off Rafa...

Boro - oh dear god, they must rank as the most pointless team in the Premiership. It's a disgrace to see empty seats in such numbers on the opening day. Their tickest are cheap enough, yet somehow thousands of people find something else better to do on a saturday, than supporting your team? Shocking and if this continues, they'll lose their Premiership status in no time. They have massive problems and I expect a season of real struggle.

Man City - the enigma of the Premiership. Fantastic win and performance. Can they keep it going? I don't think so. However as the season draws on I expect them to find their true feet and next season, they could be a force. They will be the most interesting outfit this season, without a doubt.

West Ham - they remind me of the old NUFC, good players but an awful team, poor leadership on and off the pitch and too many destabilising influences or things all happening at once or within a short space of time. Curbs has a huge fight on his hands, one he won't succeed in, in my opinion.

And what of Newcastle? I liked what I saw yesterday, so many many pluses and I don't think we've even scratched the surface yet.  We'll do well I feel, top 8 is more than achievable where as the top 6 isn't out of reach. We need to rack up as many points as we can before Xmas however where I expect everything to catch up with us to signal a drop off period, ready for one final big push towards the end where we could finish strongly.

I agree mostly, although I think either Torres or Kuyt will actually step up for Liverpool and have a 15 goal season.  As long as they don't play Pennant too much, I think they can close the gap to Chelsea and ManUtd.  And I think between Young, Agbonlahor, Carew, and Moore, Villa will score enough goals to get into Europe. 

I'm interested to see who you think will finish 5th-8th, considering you've kind of pushed aside the European bids of Villa, Spurs, and City.

Guest Knightrider

BTW impressed with Everton and Blackburn too, they should have similar seasons to last. My outside tip to do well are....

US

Why fucking not.

Guest Knightrider

The competition this season out of the top 4 is going to be fantastic I think.  blueyes.gif

I agree, quite a few evenly matched teams and for once Man City and Newcastle, who along with Spurs are arguably the club's with the most potential to break into the top 6 and beyond long-term, seem to have turned up this time. I also think given the spending at most clubs, everything at the bottom will be more concentrated too.

It pains me to say but I think Sunderland will do very well this season, they look extremely solid at the back and capable of nicking the odd goal at the other end, they'll win a lot of 1-0 just like yesterday, think they make top half but not quiet enough quality to get a UEFA spot.

Tottenham looked a real mess tbh, they were without a few yesterday but no one should really fear them on their travels, they look totally unbalanced, at WHL it may be different, they probably win enough there to ensure they make Europe again.

I can see Man City doing really well, Sven's bought very well and they have some good youngsters, will be pushing strong for Europe.

Blackburn have developed a surprisingly strong squad, Mark Hughes has done a fantastic job there. Challenger for Europe.

Everton have added to a strong team of last year but it's still not a squad with a huge amount of depth if they loose Johnson for any length of time they'll are going to struggle for goals. They tend to have good season followed by bad season. I don't think they finish as high as last year.

Villa don't excite me in the slightest. I've been a little dissapointed in MON since going there, he had a terrific start, but has struggled in both transfer windows. If I were a Villa fan I would be happy with top half, don't think their squad at the moment is any better than that.

Before kick off yesterday I thought Pompey may do very well this year, I had them down to finish 6th. Not so sure about them now however Harry likes to dable in the transfer market he may have dabbled a bit too much.

At the summit Liverpool will be closer imo but no close enough to win it, Chelsea look a more balanced team than Man Utd who seem to lack a bit at the back and a target man up front. So Chelsea to win it for me.

To go down, I'm going for Middlesboro (if Woddy fails to play 20 plus games), Wigan and Derby. Birmingham, Reading and Bolton flirting with trouble.

As for us, I hope I not wrong but all the signs are there that we'll do really well, we've always had decent players at the club just our managers have never been able to get the best out of them. Sam has aurgmented them with some great buys. Bring in a quality rightback and a creative midfielder and I really believe we could be heading places. A return to Europe backons next year.

Guest Knightrider

sunderland will keep clean sheets, but struggle for goals. They will do very well by their standards, anywhere above 18th will be an achievement for them. Although if things aren't going so well, keane will be taken to task over his spending which lets face it, he's bought next to no quality.

Everton have added to a strong team of last year but it's still not a squad with a huge amount of depth if they loose Johnson for any length of time they are going to struggle for goals.

Actually, apart from being thin up front Everton has got depth everywhere else. Moyes' obsession with utility player means that they have Phil Jagielka who could play adeptly as centre back, defensive midfielder and right back, Phil Neville who has played everywhere across the back, and Joleon Lescott who could play left back and centre back. In midfield they have Arteta who could play everywhere, Tim Cahill, Leon Osman (winger at both sides). They are apparently confident of landing Manuel Fernandes, a midfield talent who could play as winger and central mid.

Last season they managed fine with Andy Johnson out for a while. True that they have lost James Beattie now but Beattie was invinsible. Now they are bidding for Yakubu. It is unfortunate for them that James Vaughan is injured yet again.

They have a small squad, but their players are very versatile.

I'll start with sunderland - they won't go down in my opinion, although they won't finish in the top 10 I don't think. They'll always give their all and be hard to beat and they should scrape enough points at home to keep them safe. Not comfortably so, but enough to give them some hope about the seasons to come.

Spurs - I don't like their defence nor midfield, while up front they seem to lack variety, Keane and Berbatov are too similar, and so are Defoe and Bent. Jol is quickly becoming a tinkerman too and this and their unbalanced team, will hamper them. They let in a lot of goals last season and were overran many a time in midfield, they reminded me of our team in 2001, capable of turning it on of course, but far too reliant on individuals to bail them out. Only our individuals back then were a step above theirs. Having spent so much money and expected to push on, Jol will be under massive pressure and if they aren't up there by Xmas, their notoriously fickle fans will turn and so will the media who have given them good press for a while now. My dark horse to struggle, but I still expect them to have a good season. Not as nailed on as their spending, good press and depth would suggest though.

This season will be the end of Jol.

Bolton - It seems Sammy Lee has tried to stamp his own influence on the team in one mad rush, new formation, lots of new players signed and a different style of football. All this will serve to do is backfire on him. My tip to drop massively. They have enough quality in the shape of their spine to stay up, but Big Sam's departure will be the end of them as a Premiership force.

This season will be the end of Sammy.

Villa - our next opponents look ragged at the back, devoid of creativity in midfield and toothless up front. I look at them and wonder where the goals will come from and who will provide them. The have lots of pace and energy and any MON side will work their socks off, so they won't be fighting relegation or anything like that, but they'll do extremely well to finish in a strong position, not unless they bring in real quality before the transfer window shuts that is.

MON interests me because he is in so many way not a deep thinker about the game. He totally operates on the man management level and also likes to inspire his sides from his histrionics on the touchline. This season will be the end of MON.

Liverpool - despite their spending, they don't look any different. Solid at the back, strong in midfield and just about good enough up front. However they lack that real creative spark and panache that Champions usually show. Like Jol, Rafa will be under massive pressure this season too and unless they are in contention around Xmas time, things could kick-off at Anfield. For me, too much weight rests on Torres shoulders and other than him, they lack quality up front where as on the flanks, they lack real pace. Babel has signed but he's not a winger and they need that type of drive and penetration. Top 4 for them, but still nowhere near title material which could see off Rafa...

THis season will be the end of Rafa.  :razz: :lol:

No...It  won't just playing. But I agree Chris the style won't change as he hasn't brought in the right players..Babel will just push Pennant aside. As much of a cliche as this sounds the whole thing will hinge again on Gerrard and the new man Torres. I've decided to lay off Rafa a bit as I'm impressed he's had the balls to just go out and sign Torres.

Boro - oh dear god, they must rank as the most pointless team in the Premiership. It's a disgrace to see empty seats in such numbers on the opening day. Their tickest are cheap enough, yet somehow thousands of people find something else better to do on a saturday, than supporting your team? Shocking and if this continues, they'll lose their Premiership status in no time. They have massive problems and I expect a season of real struggle.

Man City - the enigma of the Premiership. Fantastic win and performance. Can they keep it going? I don't think so. However as the season draws on I expect them to find their true feet and next season, they could be a force. They will be the most interesting outfit this season, without a doubt.

West Ham - they remind me of the old NUFC, good players but an awful team, poor leadership on and off the pitch and too many destabilising influences or things all happening at once or within a short space of time. Curbs has a huge fight on his hands, one he won't succeed in, in my opinion.

And what of Newcastle? I liked what I saw yesterday, so many many pluses and I don't think we've even scratched the surface yet.  We'll do well I feel, top 8 is more than achievable where as the top 6 isn't out of reach. We need to rack up as many points as we can before Xmas however where I expect everything to catch up with us to signal a drop off period, ready for one final big push towards the end where we could finish strongly.

Everton have added to a strong team of last year but it's still not a squad with a huge amount of depth if they loose Johnson for any length of time they are going to struggle for goals.

Actually, apart from being thin up front Everton has got depth everywhere else. Moyes' obsession with utility player means that they have Phil Jagielka who could play adeptly as centre back, defensive midfielder and right back, Phil Neville who has played everywhere across the back, and Joleon Lescott who could play left back and centre back. In midfield they have Arteta who could play everywhere, Tim Cahill, Leon Osman (winger at both sides). They are apparently confident of landing Manuel Fernandes, a midfield talent who could play as winger and central mid.

Last season they managed fine with Andy Johnson out for a while. True that they have lost James Beattie now but Beattie was invinsible. Now they are bidding for Yakubu. It is unfortunate for them that James Vaughan is injured yet again.

Still not convinced by them, Arteta is key too, a quality player who creates so much for them, they have no cover for him currently and I doubt very much Boro will let Yakubu go, if they do they will go down. Moyes needs to buy if he's going to achieve what he did last year. It's not so much they have gone downhill, more the fact that all around them have improved.

Still not convinced by them, Arteta is key too, a quality player who creates so much for them, they have no cover for him currently and I doubt very much Boro will let Yakubu go, if they do they will go down. Moyes needs to buy if he's going to achieve what he did last year. It's not so much they have gone downhill, more the fact that all around them have improved.

Selling Yakubu now would be totally crazy for Boro, though I imagine that he could pull of one great sulk if unhappy..

Way to early to made the assumption that what you saw yesterday both from us and other teams is what your going to get for the rest of the season.

The only thing that is certain are the empty seats at The Riverside.

BTW impressed with Everton and Blackburn too, they should have similar seasons to last. My outside tip to do well are....

US

Why f****** not.

People have been telling you that since June yet you've been your typical conservative "steady improvement would be good enough" self. ;)

Guest andynufc84

Spurs are so overated its unreal like, and Darren Bent for £16.5 million is an absolute joke. Still think they will qualify for Europe and they are a good side at WHL but looked a soft touch yesterday.

Darren Bent for £16.5 million is not an absolute joke. Fernando Torres, the Spanish version of Bent (a more skillful one) cost 7M more.

Everton apparently offered 12M for Yakubu, and Bent has a better record past 2 seasons.

Darren Bent's 16.5M is expensive, but not extraordinarily expensive.

Guest andynufc84

Darren Bent for £16.5 million is not an absolute joke. Fernando Torres, the Spanish version of Bent (a more skillful one) cost 7M more.

Everton apparently offered 12M for Yakubu, and Bent has a better record past 2 seasons.

Darren Bent's 16.5M is expensive, but not extraordinarily expensive.

Aye it is like  :lol:

Especially when there is already 3 established strikers on their books. £8-10 Million tops I reckon for Bent

Guest Knightrider

Way to early to made the assumption that what you saw yesterday both from us and other teams is what your going to get for the rest of the season.

It is, but I like to stick my neck out.

Tottenham looked very disappointing, but they have injury problems of their own and the mackems will probably be difficult to beat at home all season.  They'll do OK I suspect (not Champions League though).  Anyway...if you ever thought N-O supporters were fickle then I suggest you read a few of the kneejerktastic threads on GloryGlory.  They lose next weekend and it will be a full on meltdown.  (Although they finally seem to be coming around to the fact that the odd good goal does not make Jenas a good midfielder).

West Ham were thankfully disorganized and crap.  Hope it continues.  I disagree about Liverpool who I still think will be very strong when Torres & Babel find their feet. 

If we sign Fernandes our creativity will go up massively. We were so much better to watch with him in the team last year and more importantly could also survive, god forbid, an Arteta injury.

I think we'll sign a striker as well even if it's not Yakubu.

I'd rather not make a risky big money signing like him tbh and just bring in a cheaper striker who will improve the squad and is young-ish. We've still got Vaughan and Cahill to come back who are more than good enough to be first XI players.