My thoughts on a few teams

Guest Knightrider

Guest Triglett

Spurs only just managed to scrape 5th last season. That was more down to Bolton losing Sam at the end,  and Pompey & Reading's squads being stretched. Good side, but not great.

If we weren't robbed at Stamford Bridge on the last day they'd have been 6th

And who knows where we would've been if we hadn't played 50% more games than you?

Guest Knightrider

Spurs - I don't like their defence nor midfield, while up front they seem to lack variety, Keane and Berbatov are too similar, and so are Defoe and Bent. Jol is quickly becoming a tinkerman too and this and their unbalanced team, will hamper them. They let in a lot of goals last season and were overran many a time in midfield, they reminded me of our team in 2001, capable of turning it on of course, but far too reliant on individuals to bail them out. Only our individuals back then were a step above theirs. Having spent so much money and expected to push on, Jol will be under massive pressure and if they aren't up there by Xmas, their notoriously fickle fans will turn and so will the media who have given them good press for a while now. My dark horse to struggle, but I still expect them to have a good season. Not as nailed on as their spending, good press and depth would suggest though.

2 games in and nothing I've seen yet convinces me, they were atrocious in every way the other night and a few of their players seem to be going through the motions which would worry me if I were a Spurs fan. They won't finish outside of the top 10 or fall heavily, they have enough individual talent to pick them up points, but they may struggle to finish in the top 6 given the strength around them, IF they don't sort themselves out sharpish. 2 games in and it seems Jol is slowly but surely losing the fans and that's always a bad sign for any team, as once that becomes a feature, "we'll win the next few games man" becomes a "even if we win the next few games, we'll come a cropper again" and that's when people on masse start expecting the worse and things just snowball from there, you can see it looming.

They remind me so much of our side under SBR but as already stated, without the class we had. Can see the wheels falling off in a similar way if I'm honest.

I was very impressed with Everton mind, very impressed. That Arteta is a star, a really classy player. They'll do well to hang on to him. Defensively they look solid and up front they have enough about them to keep the opposition on their toes, while in midfield they are organised, tactically astute it seems and have quite a good mix, with Osman maturing into a tidy player. However they'd be fucked without Andy Johnson and Arteta who make Moyes' system work, without them it falls to bits and because they don't have the depth another system or replacements just isn't the same. The fitness of those two are absolute key for Everton.

Guest Knightrider

Others...

Man Utd - looks like Fergie has been tinkering again, they've clearly been working in training to a system where Rooney is the centre-forward with another doing the Rooney role (Giggs, then Tevez), which I don't think they've gotten to grips with yet. And now he's injured, that's another spanner in the works. They could revert back to how they played last season using Tevez as a direct replacement for Rooney but I'm not convinced he can play that role anywhere near as good as Rooney did. Selling Smith may prove costly.

Chelsea - like Man Utd they've changed tactics it seems, they seem far more attacking but that comes at a cost, they are all over the place defensively and take Drogba, Cech and Lampard out of last night's lineup and that's not a side that would scare the shite out of me. They are very strong of course but they have more weaknesses that are more ready to the eye this time out in my opinion. A good tactician with an able first 11 could nullify them. Despite their 100% record, I can see them dropping a few points over the coming months.

Guest Knightrider

I must say, this will be a much more even league this season, I expect everyone to pretty much be capable of beating one another. I'm liking what I'm seeing, very interesting stuff and so many new angles to consider. It's a cliche but the most consistent team (not the best or most goals scored, biggest wins, best performances, talking strictly about results here) from each of the sub leagues, will all be successful. This means we have a chance, as I think we'll be hard to beat especially on the road, where as at home, we'll bve strong if fans can get fully behind the club to create or sustain this buzz in Toon which is swelling as I write.

Liverpool - Cunts

Spurs - Even bigger cunts.

Personally I like cunts, they are one of natures great touchable mysteries.

Can't stand pool or spuds though.

Spurs - I don't like their defence nor midfield, while up front they seem to lack variety, Keane and Berbatov are too similar, and so are Defoe and Bent. Jol is quickly becoming a tinkerman too and this and their unbalanced team, will hamper them. They let in a lot of goals last season and were overran many a time in midfield, they reminded me of our team in 2001, capable of turning it on of course, but far too reliant on individuals to bail them out. Only our individuals back then were a step above theirs. Having spent so much money and expected to push on, Jol will be under massive pressure and if they aren't up there by Xmas, their notoriously fickle fans will turn and so will the media who have given them good press for a while now. My dark horse to struggle, but I still expect them to have a good season. Not as nailed on as their spending, good press and depth would suggest though.

2 games in and nothing I've seen yet convinces me, they were atrocious in every way the other night and a few of their players seem to be going through the motions which would worry me if I were a Spurs fan. They won't finish outside of the top 10 or fall heavily, they have enough individual talent to pick them up points, but they may struggle to finish in the top 6 given the strength around them, IF they don't sort themselves out sharpish. 2 games in and it seems Jol is slowly but surely losing the fans and that's always a bad sign for any team, as once that becomes a feature, "we'll win the next few games man" becomes a "even if we win the next few games, we'll come a cropper again" and that's when people on masse start expecting the worse and things just snowball from there, you can see it looming.

They remind me so much of our side under SBR but as already stated, without the class we had. Can see the wheels falling off in a similar way if I'm honest.

I was very impressed with Everton mind, very impressed. That Arteta is a star, a really classy player. They'll do well to hang on to him. Defensively they look solid and up front they have enough about them to keep the opposition on their toes, while in midfield they are organised, tactically astute it seems and have quite a good mix, with Osman maturing into a tidy player. However they'd be f***** without Andy Johnson and Arteta who make Moyes' system work, without them it falls to bits and because they don't have the depth another system or replacements just isn't the same. The fitness of those two are absolute key for Everton.

Totally agree with all of that.  There's a lot of injuries, true, but the missing bodies are opening up old wounds at the club with Jol now wanting a bigger say in who is signed.  Our best player by far in pre-season was Taarabt, a creative attacking MF whose place is currently occupied by Malbranque.  No complaint with that but Jol's refusing to put him in the squad, let alone start with him.  Not in the squad for the first 2 matches, won't be in for Derby either by all accounts. 

I can't see Jol surviving the season, in fact, I doubt whether he will see out September.  Ramos would already be our coach if Levy agreed that Monchi was included in the package.  Levy rates Comolli very highly indeed but the idea of a Head Coach and DoF working together in harmony may prove to be irresistable.  No doubt that Ramos and Monchi (who was interviewed when Comolli was appointed) would make the move together but the season for Spurs will be over by the time this all gets resolved.  9th-12th with Berbatov going in the summer would be my guess.

Think this is  a knee-jerk reaction.

As much as it pains me to say, Spurs have a stronger team/squad than last year and I would be surprised if they were not pushing for 4th/5th come next May.

No knee jerk reaction.  I agree the first choice team and the squad are both stronger than last season but there are too many side issues going on which is pulling everyone in all directions.  Comolli reckons Taarabt should be getting involved, Jol won't pick him because Comolli won't sanction signing SWP, Comolli not interested at £17m (which is what Chelsea want), and so it goes on.  There are fit players in the squad who could make up a balanced team but with the infighting, the most lopsided teams are being sent out.

The friction has got to the dressing room and the lack of fight/effort/interest in the first 2 matches has been there for all to see.  On paper, Spurs' fit players should have been good enough to have seen off Sunderland and Everton.  The reality was that Spurs were secondbest in almost every department of the game in both matches and deservedly lost both.  Between now and the end of October there are 9 league matches

Derby h

Man Utd a

Fulham a

Arsenal h

Bolton a

Villa h

Liverpool a

Newcastle a

Blackburn h

If we can't beat Derby tomorrow, there is little likelihood of winning any of the others.  Personally, if we lose to Derby I think Jol could be gone on Monday even though he was told he had 3 matches to produce 'significant improvement'.

As much as it pains me to say, Spurs have a stronger team/squad than last year and I would be surprised if they were not pushing for 4th/5th come next May.

No knee jerk reaction.  I agree the first choice team and the squad are both stronger than last season but there are too many side issues going on which is pulling everyone in all directions.  Comolli reckons Taarabt should be getting involved, Jol won't pick him because Comolli won't sanction signing SWP, Comolli not interested at £17m (which is what Chelsea want), and so it goes on.  There are fit players in the squad who could make up a balanced team but with the infighting, the most lopsided teams are being sent out.

The friction has got to the dressing room and the lack of fight/effort/interest in the first 2 matches has been there for all to see.  On paper, Spurs' fit players should have been good enough to have seen off Sunderland and Everton.  The reality was that Spurs were secondbest in almost every department of the game in both matches and deservedly lost both.  Between now and the end of October there are 9 league matches

Derby h

Man Utd a

Fulham a

Arsenal h

Bolton a

Villa h

Liverpool a

Newcastle a

Blackburn h

If we can't beat Derby tomorrow, there is little likelihood of winning any of the others.  Personally, if we lose to Derby I think Jol could be gone on Monday even though he was told he had 3 matches to produce 'significant improvement'.

Well that's interesting. If the manager isn't in charge like he should be, then there's no way that the club can succeed. That's been the story of Newcastle United over the last four seasons.

Taarabt looks an exceptional talent, and I'd assumed that he was injured. If internal politics are keeping him out, that's a serious problem.

Derby h

Man Utd a

Fulham a

Arsenal h

Bolton a

Villa h

Liverpool a

Newcastle a

Blackburn h

You wont lose to Derby. Interesting to hear about the infighting though as its evidence relevant to the value of a DoF. Just to be clear, Jol wont pick Taarabt because he is a Comolli player and Comolli wont sign SWP? JWTBH

Tottenham'll stuff Derby. Can't believe how impatient their fans are being! Anyone would think they had a history of success in the premiership.... They clearly need to kick on but two poor results don't mean they're not going to do that - do a 90th minute winner from Chopra and losing at home to Everton (which they did last season as well) really preculde them from challenging for the 4th place many a Spurs fan seemed to think was nailed on two weeks ago?

Tottenham'll stuff Derby. Can't believe how impatient their fans are being! Anyone would think they had a history of success in the premiership.... They clearly need to kick on but two poor results don't mean they're not going to do that - do a 90th minute winner from Chopra and losing at home to Everton (which they did last season as well) really preculde them from challenging for the 4th place many a Spurs fan seemed to think was nailed on two weeks ago?

It could be argued that we were unlucky not to get a point at the SOL but the simple truth is that Sunderland had far more desire to win than Spurs and that reflected in the general play with Spurs not having a serious shot of note on target.  Although Everton have a poor record at WHL, they do also play a style which will always give them a good chance of coming away with a more than respectable result.

There are obviously the similarities between the start of this season and last, but the reasons behind it are very different.  Last season after having achieved a 5th place finish, some thought that they simply had to turn up to get a decent result.  It took a few matches for the message to sink in but this season the reasons are different.  New players have come in who have strengthened the squad but Jol has opted to stick with those he calls 'his untouchables'.  It used to be just Carrick (and rightly so on his performances) but since Carrick's departure, Robinson, Jenas and Keane have all now got that mantle irrespective of whether they are playing brilliantly, badly or indifferently.   All three have been average in pre-season and there's no improvement now the season has started.  Keane playing in MF on Tuesday because a) Bent and Berbatov were the strikers and b) Keane is an untouchable was farcical.  That's caused unrest amongst some of the players, Comolli and Levy are seeing their efforts undermined because Jol wants a major say in what players are signed and at what cost.  Jol is adamant SWP at £17m would be the final piece of the jigsaw for 4th place.  That really is a joke when Lennon currently occupies that berth, we need a strong centgral MF (Boateng may be the answer but there again, maybe not) and there is no LM at all.  SWP would benefit the squad but the final piece of the jigsaw?  Not IMHO.

The DoF/Head Coach system works well when everyone knows what their role is and sticks to it.  By wanting a bigger involvement Jol is the one upsetting the balance within the club and he'll never get the better of Levy.  I agree there's no reason why we still shouldn't be challenging for 4th place, but in reality, if this doesn't get sorted out pretty quickly, any European competition may possibly be out of reach, let alone CL.

Guest Knightrider

MJ, my big worry if I were you or a fan of Spurs would be that a number of players' heads seem to go down far too easily and even Jol, the once chirpy big fella who I think entertained us all with his pre and post match comments and sideline histrionics when he first took over, is looking as miserable as sin these days and dare I say it, pessimistically negative. Now throw in an unbalanced team, massive expectations inside and outside WHL (media pressure growing, scathing reports in the sun etc. from the Everton defeat) and Jol's key weaknesses, tactics and team selection, and you can see big problems ahead. The only way to combat that is to pick up points of course which usually papers over any cracks, but how long before they reappear even after a good run? I too think Jol's future is decidedly shaky and it wouldn't surprise me if he went at the end of the season, sacked or otherwise. I don't even think top 5 is good enough, not after the money yous have spent and the expectations at the Lane. It should be of course, but not many people live in the real world and to be fair, there are valid reasons why Spurs should be finishing in the top 4, especially after what has went on across the road at the Emirates.

MJ, my big worry if I were you or a fan of Spurs would be that a number of players' heads seem to go down far too easily and even Jol, the once chirpy big fella who I think entertained us all with his pre and post match comments and sideline histrionics when he first took over, is looking as miserable as sin these days and dare I say it, pessimistically negative. Now throw in an unbalanced team, massive expectations inside and outside WHL (media pressure growing, scathing reports in the sun etc. from the Everton defeat) and Jol's key weaknesses, tactics and team selection, and you can see big problems ahead. The only way to combat that is to pick up points of course which usually papers over any cracks, but how long before they reappear even after a good run? I too think Jol's future is decidedly shaky and it wouldn't surprise me if he went at the end of the season, sacked or otherwise. I don't even think top 5 is good enough, not after the money yous have spent and the expectations at the Lane. It should be of course, but not many people live in the real world and to be fair, there are valid reasons why Spurs should be finishing in the top 4, especially after what has went on across the road at the Emirates.

Fair comment.  I think Levy would agree with you that top 5 isn't good enough, tbh, I know that, but the top 4 got themselves where they are now and it is a lot easier to maintain their position when you already have the players of the right calibre and it's only fine tuning of the squad to be done.  Ithink it will only be a matter of time before he goes, the papers tomorrow are apparently commenting on unrest in the dressing room.  That really is the start of the long slippery slope for him.

He's not trying to help himself though by all accounts.  Keane will be playing upfront tomorrow with Bent apparently whilst Defoe kicks his heels inspite of being in good form in training, certainly better than Keane.  Also sounds like Routledge has got the nod to fill the space in MF.  With thinking like that, his departure may be fairly speedy.  Still should be far too strong for Derby, but you never know................

The DoF/Head Coach system works well when everyone knows what their role is and sticks to it.  By wanting a bigger involvement Jol is the one upsetting the balance within the club and he'll never get the better of Levy.  I agree there's no reason why we still shouldn't be challenging for 4th place, but in reality, if this doesn't get sorted out pretty quickly, any European competition may possibly be out of reach, let alone CL.

I can't see that the Dof / Coach system can work unless it's clear that one or the other is in charge and the other one is working to his directions. I'd have thought that the one in charge has to be the coach / manager, because he's the one who has to produce results on the field. If the Dof is a kind of alternative authority who's answerable to the Chairman rather than the Manager, then you're bound to get this sort of trouble. It also gives the Chairman scope to interfere on the football side.

Guest Knightrider

Perhaps my comments are a tad knee-jerk, 3-0 up as I write. Still think they have more problems than answers though.

Too early for an I told you so that could backfire? Nah...

:coolsmiley:

Winning 4-0 I don't think will save Jol.  Although Ramos has denied it, Marca snapped him in Madrid for the Super Cup with John Alexander, the Company Secretary at Spurs........... and also the one who is responsible for the fine detail in contracts.

My guess is that Ramos will be in place before the resumption of the Premiership following the international break.  Cut throat business.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.marca.com/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmarca%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26ie%3DUTF-8

Juande denies contacts with the Tottenham

The sevillista present time happened in the morning of Saturday through the own name of Juande Ramos. In the edition of this Saturday, the daily “Sport Stage” published compromising photographies in which of it saw the technician of the sevillistas in his car and entering the Hotel Alfonso XIII, where, according to is published in the metropolitan newspaper, Juande maintained a meeting with emissaries of the Tottenham English Hotspur. In the previous press conference to the return match of Supercopa of Spain that will dispute east Sunday in Madrid, the technician was asked for instantaneous happiness and the supposed meeting. Juande was dedicated to deny all the published one and affirmed that the only thing that it went to do to the Sevillian hotel was to have drinks with friends.

The intrahistory of this fact gives still more of himself. The Totenham hastily looked for a spare part for its present technician due to badly the beginning of the season in the Premier of the English club. “Spurs” sent to their technical secretary to Seville to try to conduct an operation lightning that ended Juande Ramos in the bench of the English; nevertheless, the technician did not reach an agreement when not being able to make the stampede at this point of preseason, with the beginning of Liga around the corner.

Although the own Juande has denied the published news, the sources that made the photographies affirm that they saw the technician in company of John Alexander, secretary technical of “spurs” and known in the sevillista capital for being the person in charge to manage the arrival to the capital the past Andalusian of the Tottenham year when Seville and the English saw the faces in the Glass of the UEFA. Of which he was spoken or nothing treated is known, but the own technician has not taken in denying this history, even though taught the newspaper to him to the face.

Juande alleged that always it is wanted to destabilize

“Whenever there is an important party leaves some news this type. I do not know if it is for destabilizing. The attention we have it in the encounter and I deny the news totally”, said in reference to its assumption contact with emissaries of the Tottenham in a hotel of Seville.

If Spurs ditch Jol on the basis of two dodgy results at the start of the season, despite having taken them to two top six finishes, including their first for, what was it, 17 years, then football has finally eaten itself.

Absolutely ridiculous.

If Spurs ditch Jol on the basis of two dodgy results at the start of the season, despite having taken them to two top six finishes, including their first for, what was it, 17 years, then football has finally eaten itself.

Absolutely ridiculous.

To indecisive to take us further is the view of those that matter, not just what has occurred in the first 2 games.  Absolutely no doubt that when he does go, the press and media will immediately go along with the aspect you've picked up on.  Not a lot of difference with the Jol/Ramos scenario with that of Ranieri/Mourinho imo.  Doesn't mean I wouldn't have a lot of sympathy for Jol as I did with Ranieri before him.