Big Sam on booing, negative vibes from the crowd and knee-jerk reactions

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

Agree James, don't think any website influences fans at the moment, otherwise hanging would have been seen from the Old Gallowgate for the first time since the 1800s, if this forum alone is to go off over the years :lol:

The Chronicle server so many thousands, they have influence, although I think it's reeceding thankfully as fans now turn to the internet more and more, where I'd like to think the news and views are more balanced, despite some of the things that gets posted on here for one :D

Guest Knightrider

Sam's seen it from the other side too.  He probably saw last season when bolton beat us here how the fans turned on the players and how it benefited them.

Good point, seemed to be well up on the Parker stuff, wasn't that the game Carr and he had a rick with fans? Can't quite remember.

The atmosphere thing was probably part of his game plan...

Agree that .com and Thomson House do have an effect on the mood of the place but not as much as a winning team. Saturday should be excellent.

.com have an effect :lol:

No website is going to influence 52,000 people. .com serves 5,000 season ticket holders at most, and only a small minority of those will be influenced by what is basically a two-man editorial that isn't taken seriously by many quarters.

Whilst the majority of fans don't go around proclaiming anything written by Niall & Biffa to be gospel, I think you need to take off your newcastle-online tinted specs and acknowledge that they are one of the most read sources of NUFC information. Most people I hear before matches are either talking about something on .com or in the Ronny Gill.

People may not always agree, but they're always a source of discussion - remember their piece before the Cup Semi against Man Utd 3 years ago...majestic stuff which funnily enough manifested itself in a fantastic display by our fans in Cardiff. Maybe it was co-incidence.

Guest Milburnthedog

No website is going to influence 52,000 people. .com serves 5,000 season ticket holders at most, and only a small minority of those will be influenced by what is basically a two-man editorial that isn't taken seriously by many quarters.

I'm not on commission or owt but you may find that .com have a few more than 5000 people logging on.

I'm not on commission or owt but you may find that .com have a few more than 5000 people logging on.

But are they season ticket holders?

Sam's seen it from the other side too.  He probably saw last season when bolton beat us here how the fans turned on the players and how it benefited them.

Good point, seemed to be well up on the Parker stuff, wasn't that the game Carr and he had a rick with fans? Can't quite remember.

The atmosphere thing was probably part of his game plan...

Massive point. I cant for the life of me understand when fans start constantly whinging through the game getting on our own players back when you are playing into the oppositions hands! Managers will come to SJP and to to their players 'get the crowd edgy, get them nervous, force them to play it back and feed off the negative atmosphere' and we play right into it! Yes its not the be all and end all for the opposition but it damn well helps, helps them play with more confidence and freedom and they sense the Newcastle players getting nervous. But if there was constant support throught the 90 minutes it'd make it much harder for the opposition and indimidating for them, not us! And by consatnt support I mean at least allow the players play with maximum freedom, not afraid to make a pass due to fear of the wrath of the crowd, if you dont nessicarly sing songs.

Guest Milburnthedog

But are they season ticket holders?

I'd think so, yes. I knows many who discuss whats on there. I'm not doing O-N down here but they do have a certain credibility among supporters.

Guest Milburnthedog

Let's not get into a website debate again. :nope:

Been there before then?  ;D

Often crops up.

Bit like mackems and relegation, eh?

Agree that .com and Thomson House do have an effect on the mood of the place but not as much as a winning team. Saturday should be excellent.

People may not always agree, but they're always a source of discussion - remember their piece before the Cup Semi against Man Utd 3 years ago...majestic stuff which funnily enough manifested itself in a fantastic display by our fans in Cardiff. Maybe it was co-incidence.

What did they say again like?

Guest unrealterrorist

It's a strange one. As others point out, if we were so impatient would there be 50,000+ there every other week?

A little pinch of optimism has done wonders for this forum and I reckon something similar will happen at SJP.

We will win the Carling Cup (optimism) :celb:

Agree strongly with one of the points in this thread, whilst it can be (depending on your viewponit) acceptable to boo the team, booing an individual is indefensibleand massively counter-productive.

Agree strongly with one of the points in this thread, whilst it can be (depending on your viewponit) acceptable to boo the team, booing an individual is indefensibleand massively counter-productive.

booing an individual DURING THE GAME is wrong. Booign a player after the game can be the only way to publically voice frustrations, and i have no problem with that.

On the knee-jerk thing, what i worry about is the Dyer/Bramble/Luque effect - fans publically had such high hopes, and bought ino thte hype so much, that when they were found out, a number of supporters were unable to accept that the reality differed from their first thoughts. Some of those supporters to this day stick to their guns. If we end up being a mid-table team, will the "we'll be 4th" brigade refuse to accept that we just aren't that good, and continue to be blinkered? OR, if we DO end up breaking into the top 5, will the doubters (liek me), accept that it's not a fluke.

I've said it before, football fans are stupid, and i accept i often don't differ from that truism.

Disagree with you about booing an individual NM, but that's a great point about supporters refusing to accept they could have been wrong.

disagreements make football ace, in fairness. I see no problem with that, how else are fans supposed to get across their feelings?

There will be hard times when it doesn’t go as well as we all want. When that happens, we have to stick together. If we can do that and get through it, we’ll get better and better, but it’s important the public realise they have a part to play. One of the things I’ve picked up on is that a lot of the players are finding it increasingly difficult to play at home.

“The fans are so demanding, and while we all accept they are the most passionate and supportive of all when things are going well, there is a downside, which is how they single out individuals for criticism in a way that becomes destructive. It doesn’t only affect that one player, it gets to the others too. They all think, ‘When’s it going to be my turn?’

“It was Scott Parker towards the end of last season and Nicky Butt before him. To his credit, Nicky has overcome it. He’s gone through it, come out the other end and now the fans like him, but not everybody will do that. The supporters need to understand we all want to be successful and are all trying all the time. It doesn’t matter whether you like a player’s personality or not, he will try his best.

“Sometimes, because of the pressure, it may not look like it. It can get to the stage where they can’t see beyond the end of their noses. Abuse can make you fearful of accepting a pass, let alone making one, and unable to express yourself. We need more of a happy medium. If we’re crap, of course everybody is entitled to say so. That’s fine, but don’t say we’re ‘diabolical’ or ‘it’s an absolute disgrace’ when we’ve been borderline poor. What we don’t want is a knee-jerk ‘This player should never wear a Newcastle shirt again’, because nailing somebody like that won’t make him better, it will make him want to leave.”

100% spot on and so refreshing to hear a manager, especially a Newcastle manager, speak out about something that has almost become our stock and trade these past few years.

My two cents from earlier...

About this booing malarky. I honestly think we've been fed so much drivel, s*** and excuses over the last 3 years, that it was inevitable that we (the fans) would crack.

Lets hope with the positives coming out of the club, when something goes wrong, or somebody fucks up, we can see how far we've come, and respect that.

I'd also like to add, that I don't think the fans at home will be half as restless this time around. We can see a new horizion, we can see plans.

Agree totally - as long as team gives 100%, they will get proper support as the fans now know that things are much better behind the scenes.

Guest Knightrider

Reo-Coker out to silence Toon army

Aug 17 2007

By Bill Howell, Birmingham Mail

Nigel Reo-Coker

NIGEL Reo-Coker has challenged his team-mates to stamp their authority on Newcastle tomorrow evening and silence the St James' Park roar.

Villa tackle a Newcastle team who are buoyant from their opening-day win at Bolton but who have not won at home in the Premier League since February, with three draws and two defeats in their last five outings.

Villa's midfield warhorse has wasted little time in putting his foot down at the club following a summer move from West Ham and is in no mood to see them fall to a second successive defeat.

He has urged his team-mates to go for the jugular in front of a jammed 50,000-plus crowd on Sam Allardyce's home bow as manager.

"I'm a firm believer in really stamping your authority on the game from the very start, regardless of whether you're at home or away," he said. "Have your game plan, stick to it, play at a high tempo and really make life difficult for the opposition.

"You have to really compete and I think that's one of the most important things in football - you've got to be a competitor. If you really work hard and make it difficult for your opponent, you should get your return.

"We have to go into this game at Newcastle with a willingness to work hard. If we work hard and stick to our game plan, we will hopefully get the chance to show what we can do.

"There should be a big crowd and a great atmosphere tomorrow - there always is at Newcastle - and we're looking forward to it."

He added: Whoever you're playing away from home, if you start off well and impose yourself on the game, set out how you want to play the game and try to dictate the tempo, you can unsettle the home fans."

Reo-Coker admits he is "living the dream" at Villa Park and says Martin O'Neill's side have nothing to lose.

"For me, this is something we all dreamt about doing as kids and it's about cherishing the moment and accepting the challenge before you.

"You have got to go into these games with a 'nothing to lose - all to gain' attitude."

Villa had an impressive five-game unbeaten away record at the end of last season.

Reo-Coker added: "I'm confident we can surprise quite a lot of teams away from home this season. It's all about how we apply ourselves on the day of the game.

"Newcastle are the home team and there are big expectations there. So if we can impose ourselves early in the game, I don't think their fans will be too happy. That can have an effect on the team.

"Some players feed off the energy of the fans and feed off the atmosphere that the fans generate."

Villa last faced the Welsh side in the League Cup in 1977 - winning 5-1 on the way to lifting the trophy.

tbh

Guest Milburnthedog

A Toon penalty and half the Villa team cautioned by half time if they are all that fired up (I hope).

We'll  match fire with fire now, something we wouldn't have done a few months ago. Should be interesting.