Arrest warrant out for Man City owner

OzzieMandias

Some canny experts on Thai politics here.

You don't need to be an expert on Thai politics to feel this guy deserves thorough investigation at the very least, considering the accusations made about him from various human rights groups.

One way to look at it is that he killed some terrorists and drug dealers and then suppressed a military funded insurgency in the south.

I dont know enough about it tbf.

You don't need to be an expert on Thai politics to feel this guy deserves thorough investigation at the very least, considering the accusations made about him from various human rights groups.

This ( the bottom one)..  its not just the "militaristic govt that undoubtedly have it in for him" and manyoo fans, its also many leading human rights groups. unfortunately curruption in asia  is at an all-time high. u cant just have an arse like that just take a countrys money and then go off, never to return, and buying a football club.

Guest Andy_M

Michael Owen's fault.

Your mission to bring the Michael Owen critics to your way of thinking with this reverse "everything is Owen's fault" psychology is really pissing me off.

One way to look at it is that he killed some terrorists and drug dealers and then suppressed a military funded insurgency in the south.

Same here, but what the human rights groups (who should be more impartial on Thai politics than Thaksin or his supporters) have been saying is enough for me to believe he's not the sort of guy I'd want in the Premiership. But then again, Abramovich hardly sounds squeaky clean yet everyone's bored of that now so I imagine Shinawatra will go the same way.

I think there's no doubt that he's a complete bastard, and Thailand now having a military government doesn't change that fact. Human Rights Watch research their stuff very carefully, and don't throw accusations around lightly. This was their letter to the Premiership, which details some of what went on under Thaksin, along with links to more detailed stories:

http://hrw.org/english/docs/2007/07/31/thaila16544_txt.htm

From the Times:

The military junta that forced out Thaksin confirmed that it would seek his extradition. Patchara Yuthithamdamrong, a spokesman for the attorney-general’s department, said: “The attorney-general will seek the court’s permission to issue the arrest warrant and seek co-operation from England to send them back to face trial.” Such a move could put his present host, the British Government, in an uncomfortable position.

Britain frequently extradites its own offenders, including paedophiles, from Thailand, and is vigorously seeking the extradition of the alleged killer of Alexander Litvinenko from Russia. On the other hand, Thailand’s current government is self-appointed, and came to power by using force to depose the most popular prime minister in the country’s history.

Mr Thaksin is a former police officer who became a billionaire as head of the Shin Corporation, a mobile phone and media conglomerate. His Thai Rak Thai (Thais Love Thais) party came to power in 2001; in 2005, he was re-elected with a 61 per cent majority in the Thai parliament.

He drew his vast support from the countryside where two thirds of Thais live. By providing cheap loans and health care to farmers he won a devoted following among a population that formerly felt itself to be unrepresented by Thailand’s mainstream political establishment.

Among much of the urban middle class, however, he has become a bête noire; protesters in Bangkok caricatured him as Adolf Hitler. His enemies accused him of having used his vast wealth to erode human rights and freedom of the press, and of undermining the constitutional checks and balances on his own power.

His “war on drugs” led to the deaths of 2,000 alleged drug dealers, many of them executed by the police, and his heavy handed policies in Thailand’s south worsened a stubborn insurgency among the country’s Muslim minority. His friends and associates gained commercial control over much of Thailand’s broadcast media, and he was accused of loading the Thai judiciary and the country’s election commission with his cronies.

But the simmering discontent came to the boil in 2006 when Mr Thaksin announced the sale of Shin Corporation to the investment arm of the Singapore government for 77.3 billion baht. Not only was a strategic industry being sold to a foreign power, it emerged that Mr Thaksin’s family had managed to avoid paying any tax on the sale.

In a snap election later that year he won another majority, but a boycott by the opposition undermined the result. The coup against him was bloodless and the generals who lead it have promised to restore civilian rule after new elections. Next Sunday Thais will vote in a referendum on a new constitution intended to limit the power of future prime ministers and prevent the emergence of any future Thaksins.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article2257163.ece

Guest maddog2

while im all for extraditing thaksin back to thailand... in no circumstances it should be done until the british govt is satisfied that thailand is currently under a stable, democratic rule.

Guest Moe-Ali

There's probably more chance of Thailand winning the world cup than him being sent back.

:-[ true.. oh well

:lol: i am from thailand, how did you know bmccormick?

[borat]this kill a chance of glory, my country.[/borat] :p

He's a dirty bastard who's done a lot wrong in his time but many of the accusations levied against him atm are unjust, unfair and part of the ongoing attempt by the military to discredit him in the attempt that the people will somehow feel better that they're still being run by a military government. Both sides act only to preserve their own interests. Fuck them all. For Thaksin's 'version' on things, this is his website. www.truethaksin.com

Most of the things the human rights groups have accused him of have been accused against him for quite a few years already, yet unfortunately no one seemed to give a crap back then.

Michael Owen's fault.

Your mission to bring the Michael Owen critics to your way of thinking with this reverse "everything is Owen's fault" psychology is really pissing me off.

Excellent! :thup:

Guest zerocipher
He issued cash incentives to police and local officials to remove thousands of drug suspects from government “blacklists.” Many on the blacklists, which were issued to local government and police, were killed. In a speech announcing the campaign, Mr. Thaksin borrowed a quote from a former police chief known for having orchestrated political assassinations in the 1950s: “There is nothing under the sun which the Thai police cannot do,” Mr. Thaksin said. “Because drug traders are ruthless to our children, so being ruthless back to them is not a bad thing. . . It may be necessary to have casualties. . . If there are deaths among traders, it’s normal.”

I have to say, that this does sound pretty messed up. If these hippies have it even half right about this guy, he is a pretty dirty bastich.

The dubious nature of the Shin Corp deal with Singapore's govt-owned Temasek Holding was the final straw. The people took to the streets and then the military overthrew him, just before he was about to replace its top hierachy with his own cronies. The fact that he's popular with the poor isn't due to his policies, but rather populist politics. The guy was giving money away to garner support.