re: 2nd yellows, straight reds, penalties & diving

bulivye
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

No-one likes diving, but let's face it, it's often difficult for a ref to spot. If they get pressured to be more strict, then I think you'll see people getting booked who haven't dived. It already happens now and then.

Three areas where I'd like to see refs more strict -

1 - Getting penalties re-taken when the keeper moves off his line. It happens 80% of the time, but for some reason, refs no longer enforce the rule.

2 - Giving free kicks for obstruction when defenders block attackers when the ball runs out of play. Sometimes the defenders are nowhere near playing distance of the ball.

3 - Attackers who deliberately take the ball to the corner flag to waste time should be penalised for unsporting behaviour or whatever it's called now. This would mean a re-interpretation of the existing law, but it's long overdue.

Number three is bullshit. as much as it pisses you off when the opposition does it, you have to admit it is a very effective tactic of ensuring three points. The ball is in play. If the opposition want it, come and get it. Shearer was the master of it.

I don't think your point about whether it's the opposition or your own team is relevant. If the tactic is penalised, then everyone would be equally better off in the long run.

The whole thing seems to be getting out of hand, because players are now getting better at it. They're able to waste a couple of minutes now while the ball gets hacked out about half a dozen times. They're also starting to do it not in the last minute, but when there's about five minutes to go. To me, it just doesn't look like football, and it's lousy to watch.

The only argument against as far as I can see is whether it's not possible for refs to distinguish that tactic from other forms of play. You wouldn't want the ref to blow up the second an attacker took the ball anywhere near the corner flag in the last few minutes. But I think in practice it's quite easy to spot when a player is deliberately blocking the ball in that position with no object in mind other than wasting time.

Whatever, it's worth a go, surely. You can't say that it's something that's really worth preserving for the good of the game.

No-one likes diving, but let's face it, it's often difficult for a ref to spot. If they get pressured to be more strict, then I think you'll see people getting booked who haven't dived. It already happens now and then.

1 - Getting penalties re-taken when the keeper moves off his line. It happens 80% of the time, but for some reason, refs no longer enforce the rule.

2 - Giving free kicks for obstruction when defenders block attackers when the ball runs out of play. Sometimes the defenders are nowhere near playing distance of the ball.

3 - Attackers who deliberately take the ball to the corner flag to waste time should be penalised for unsporting behaviour or whatever it's called now. This would mean a re-interpretation of the existing law, but it's long overdue.

Number three is bullshit. as much as it pisses you off when the opposition does it, you have to admit it is a very effective tactic of ensuring three points. The ball is in play. If the opposition want it, come and get it. Shearer was the master of it.

I don't think your point about whether it's the opposition or your own team is relevant. If the tactic is penalised, then everyone would be equally better off in the long run.

The whole thing seems to be getting out of hand, because players are now getting better at it. They're able to waste a couple of minutes now while the ball gets hacked out about half a dozen times. They're also starting to do it not in the last minute, but when there's about five minutes to go. To me, it just doesn't look like football, and it's lousy to watch.

The only argument against as far as I can see is whether it's not possible for refs to distinguish that tactic from other forms of play. You wouldn't want the ref to blow up the second an attacker took the ball anywhere near the corner flag in the last few minutes. But I think in practice it's quite easy to spot when a player is deliberately blocking the ball in that position with no object in mind other than wasting time.

Whatever, it's worth a go, surely. You can't say that it's something that's really worth preserving for the good of the game.

Are you seriously serious?

It's called possesion. It's allowed. Keeping the ball. There's is no way you could penalise this, even if you wanted to.

You may notice that a few referees will "invent" a free kick when an attacker keeps the ball in the corner.  This is usually to lessen the risk of a defender flying in 2-footed in frustration to get the ball and hell breaking loose, and not to stop the team running the clock down.

Guest firetotheworks

Theres a lot of grey areas on this I think. I think if you book for players arguing with the ref then theres the risk of taking all feeling out of the game by stopping players from venting their anger and frustration. Intimidating is something else though which should be punished. Its all about where you draw the line with something like a 'argh fuck off'. Is it directed at the ref or is it another 'for fucks sake' type thing.

Guest lebowski

I would like to see players who go and surround the ref or mouth off to the ref yellow carded. Would stop them all doing it.

I know exactly what you mean. Other sports such as Rugby enforce that, only the captain is able to question the ref (and that doesn't mean yelling at him).

Scottish league wanted to experiment with the ref rewatching the game and giving cards for diving-not sure if its going ahead as FIFA weren't happy.

They said that at first... I think they're really not keen on people trying to come up with their own initiatives  :rolleyes:

I don't see how they could justify not being 100% behind such a squeme. They pelt up with so much "Fair Play" bullshit, that to be against this would be retarded.

I'd voted 2nd yellow in the poll

For the reason only that once a player is on a yellow card,and then commits another yellow card offence,i have seen many referees go towards there book and then realise they are already on a yellow

I'd voted 2nd yellow in the poll

For the reason only that once a player is on a yellow card,and then commits another yellow card offence,i have seen many referees go towards there book and then realise they are already on a yellow

Same vote for the same reason. A lot of times the referee will act like the second yellow card should only be given for a foul that's as bad as a straight red...but really it's the player's own fault for continuing his reckless play even when he's already been given a card.

Guest Sniffer

IIRC we had a discussion about this a few weeks ago. After diving, my main gripe is the fact that the obstruction rule seems to have gone out the window. It's one thing for a fat arse like Dalglish to shield the ball but it's another thing when a player makes no attempt to play the ball but just  moves infront or pushes a player whose trying to play the ball....like when defenders let a ball run out but make sure nobody is going to get within three feet of it. It's so blatant that it pisses me off every time.

Ecept when Shearer  :angel: used to do it in the corner, of course, especially to manure and keane  mackems.gif

Are you seriously serious?

It's called possesion. It's allowed. Keeping the ball. There's is no way you could penalise this, even if you wanted to.

I don't see the problem. It's perfectly easy to distinguish between keeping possession by blocking the ball at the corner flag, and all the other ways of keeping possession.

It boils down to whether you're happy to see this tactic continuing, and whether you think it's fair. No to both, as far as I'm concerned.