Message to the Doom and Gloom Merchants

Decky

Table shows us ahead of Arsenal, Liverpool and Man Utd.

Not panicking just yet, but I was at the game yesterday and we were fairly turgid, as were the fans after the initially rousing period of support. It works both ways, though, the players do have to try and get the fans going themselves.

The referee spoiled much of the game for me, and never let us get into any rhythm with some of the most dodgy decisions I've seen at SJP for a good while. If that game had been allowed to be played properly and some common sense was used, we'd have seen some goals. Viduka couldn't go anywhere near the ball in the first half, every time he did that useless git was blowing his whistle.

Both teams were incredibly frustrated with it.

Guest Gemmill

Re the foreign fan issue, I've had this out with people on numerous occasions and SSR is right.  I have no problem with foreign fans, in fact I enjoy the fact that we have people in other countries that support the team - when I lived in the US I thought it was class when yanks turned up in the pub at 7am in their toon tops to watch us.  But when they come on internet forums telling the match-going fans how to properly support the team, they are bang out of order.  I wouldn't dream of going on an American football team's forum and telling the matchgoing fans they're a disgrace from 3,000 miles away, and no one should presume to do it on here.  Not unless they want someone to put them in their place.

Having said that, I go to the match and am therefore in a position to confirm that there is a sizeable minority of clueless arseholes in regular attendance at SJP. :razz:

Guest Darth Toon

Having said that, I go to the match and am therefore in a position to confirm that there is a sizeable minority of clueless arseholes in regular attendance at SJP. :razz:

That's a key point - I've had some of the most enjoyable conversations about the toon with supporters abroad who've never been near St James', and by the same token have often found myself tearing my hair out at the frankly mind-blowing stupidity of some of the match-going regulars (and I'm not just talking about on here either....)  :shifty:

when I lived in the US I thought it was class when yanks turned up in the pub at 7am in their toon tops to watch us. 

If you had been in America this weekend and watched the match would you be entitled to criticize booing at the end of a 0-0 draw?  I can understand being annoyed if some foreigner tells someone going to matches that they are being loud enough, but I don't think that was the point being made.

Guest Gemmill

when I lived in the US I thought it was class when yanks turned up in the pub at 7am in their toon tops to watch us. 

If you had been in America this weekend and watched the match would you be entitled to criticize booing at the end of a 0-0 draw?  I can understand being annoyed if some foreigner tells someone going to matches that they are being loud enough, but I don't think that was the point being made.

I think if you're not at the game, and have possibly never been to a game, I would find it pretty hard to justify criticising the people that were/have.  All I can do is put myself in the scenario I mentioned before - me posting on an American Football forum, and there is no way that I would feel suitably placed to tell those fans what they should/shouldn't be doing at the match.

I see what you're saying though - booing your own team, particularly after a draw is arsehole behaviour whatever the location/nationality.

Fair enough.  I think most of the foreign supporters on here are probably ex-pats anyway and most of us have probably been to SJP (after all, Newcastle isn't the most obvious choice for glory hunters).  But if the booing 15 year olds embarrass you when you stand next to them on a Saturday afternoon, then they annoy you when you hear them on TV.

Guest loonietoonie

all the doom and gloomers need to fuck off its as simple as that and is really pissing me off booing cos we drew 0-0 give them a chance

Guest NY Toon

Even though I never post on this forum though I have been on it for two years,  I feel that as an overseas supporter who is about to make his first visit to St. James Park in the next few weeks, I should comment on this subject. I don't think any overseas supporter will ever forget that the life blood of Newcastle United are the supporters from Newcastle who buy season tickets and show up day in and day out. But that does not mean that people who are not from Newcastle can't have love for the club. I am going to England for a family wedding and all I am thinking about is the 3.5 hour train ride I will take from Birmingham to Newcastle and the opportunity to watch a match live from St. James Park. We all care or else we would not be on this forum talking about the club from all across the world. We obviously can't root in the same way and there is an obvious difference of opinion but all we want is success for the club. I am looking forward to sitting among many of you and telling everyone when I return to NY that no American sports experience compares to the crowd at St. James Park.

Guest Chief Bluntasnot

Even though I never post on this forum though I have been on it for two years,  I feel that as an overseas supporter who is about to make his first visit to St. James Park in the next few weeks, I should comment on this subject. I don't think any overseas supporter will ever forget that the life blood of Newcastle United are the supporters from Newcastle who buy season tickets and show up day in and day out. But that does not mean that people who are not from Newcastle can't have love for the club. I am going to England for a family wedding and all I am thinking about is the 3.5 hour train ride I will take from Birmingham to Newcastle and the opportunity to watch a match live from St. James Park. We all care or else we would not be on this forum talking about the club from all across the world. We obviously can't root in the same way and there is an obvious difference of opinion but all we want is success for the club. I am looking forward to sitting among many of you and telling everyone when I return to NY that no American sports experience compares to the crowd at St. James Park.

Don't forget to bring your best shoes to wave in the air and a scarf to twirl over your head

Don't get too excited, it could be a hell of a let down if we don't flatten the opposition.

Don't forget to bring your best shoes to wave in the air and a scarf to twirl over your head

Shit banter.

Well, I too am an overseas supporter. Its easy to support say, Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool. Very easy. But support a club like Newcastle and you become the laughing stock because, well, you support a 'loser team' that, well, keeps losing. With the joke that the club was since grame souness took over, supporting Newcastle was asking for ridicule.

But hey, i like the club, its something different from the usual glory chasers, and finally with Sam on board we look to be going somewhere! AND we're above Man U in the league having played a game less!

I've received a PM and have been put in my place. Apologies to all the support, wherever you're based.

Me and the guys at the Jolly Bobby English Pub in New York were enjoying a couple of brewskis and watching the soccer on ESPN when we noticed that you fellers weren't holloring maybe as hard as you outghta.

We especially didn't appreciate some of the negativity and verbal junk shown at the end of the Fourth Quarter.

Ok, so we didn't get any field goals, and our rookie goaltender probably kept us in the game, but I'm sure when our recent acquisition of Manchester Blue's Jose Barton is installed into the team, we're going to look damn fine and create some neat plays.

Remember guys, if you don't give hearty cheers, the terrorists win.

Go the home team!

Larry S Schiedenwinder Jr