Simple solution to eradicate diving in the penalty area

Guest Brazilianbob

any player found guilty of diving should be dragged into the centre circle at the end of the game and his bare bollocks whacked with a table tennis paddle 4 times by the captain of the opposition........(i realise there are many players who would pay for this "service" for them i propose a 6 game ban).

Isn't it simpler to just issue cards/suspensions after the game for obvious diving?

instead of changing the game COMPLETELY!

Funny coming from an arsenal fan.. but i absolutely agree with you- no point having some radical non-direct freekick this or toss them off for 20 minutes that.. just educate the refs on what a dive looks like and book the offenders, full stop.

:kasper: Eboue is the only one that dives nowadays and he is stopping that!

But admitedly Pires did used to fall over air ALOT

any player found guilty of diving should be dragged into the centre circle at the end of the game and his bare bollocks whacked with a table tennis paddle 4 times by the captain of the opposition........(i realise there are many players who would pay for this "service" for them i propose a 6 game ban).

human rights violation i'm afraid... otherwise good idea

Isn't it simpler to just issue cards/suspensions after the game for obvious diving?

Funny coming from an arsenal fan.. but i absolutely agree with you- no point having some radical non-direct freekick this or toss them off for 20 minutes that.. just educate the refs on what a dive looks like and book the offenders, full stop.

:kasper: Eboue is the only one that dives nowadays and he is stopping that!

But admitedly Pires did used to fall over air ALOT

have nothing against arsenal, in fact their one of only a few teams in the PL that i dont despise. but u can't argue that when arsenal are losing.. they usually get penalties, and not many of them have been legit- they seem to invite challenges in the box, quickly change direction and fall dramatically. it's probably down to how many french players you have, it seems that this tactic is embedded in their game... even fabregas, a fine fine player, is also suspect to some dodgy acting..

I dont really agree, unbiasedly, i think its because Arsenal play the ball in the box so much there is more chance there will be a foul in the box, last season we had about 8 penalty's i think and i cant remember one, off my head, where i think dive!

well i suppose technically its not a dive, well not a blatant one anyway, but they seem to go down way too easy. agree that theyr always playing in the box and that the probability of a foul is slightly higher  but iyam they're looking for that foul, and always seem to get it near the end of the match.

Guest Toonie

make barton our captain, no one would ever dive against us ever again.

Guest Hodgson09

The refs just have to get better.

I don't want any more changes to football, it becomes like NFL then too many stoppages and just not worth watching.

The game is fine how it is.

Why does everyone want to change it? the only change I might be happy with is the goal sensor. But I don't want to see a flashing light on top of the goal.

Americanising everything is really crap, I'm so sick of America.

I bought that Madden game for my PS3 thinking it would be a good game, how boring it is (I haven't finished a whole game yet it is so boring) with all those stoppages imagine watching that fluff week in week out.

Too many rules ruin games.

Seriousness over

If diving is suspected the offending player must change into a fairy costume and remain in said costume for the rest of the match.

Guest DarkSchneider

Players who were found guilty of diving should be punished(banned for some games) after the game, when video evidence is clear. And the same goes for ones that score goals with their hands(Messi), and dare to celebrate...

Liars and cheaters should be punished. We all love fair play don't we.

Guest TampaToon

Abolish penalty kicks completely!  Don't know why no one has thought of this before!

come to think of it, if they just abolished football, all this diving nonsense would disappear immediately....

Abolish penalty kicks completely!  Don't know why no one has thought of this before!

come to think of it, if they just abolished football, all this diving nonsense would disappear immediately....

:giggle: mackems.gif

Guest SeattleToon

The simplest solution would be to stop making all fouls in the box automatic penalities. Give the referee some discretion as to whether or not a foul in the box is severe enough to be worthy of a penality or just a free kick.

Players dive because they know that the risk (of getting a yellow for diving) is worth the reward (of potentially getting a PK and almost certain goal awarded to them). If you change the risk/reward equation so that a successful dive may only earn you a free kick instead of a PK, then players will become much less likely to dive.

This would also reduce shirt-tugging. Referees are loathe to award a PK for a shirt-tug, so they generally let it go since they have no other option. Giving them the option of awarding a free kick would allow them to call fouls for shirt-tugging without having to award a PK.

Additionally, it would give referees a second option for those difficult hand ball decisions where they are not sure whether it was an intentional hand ball or whether it was ball to hand and the defensive player did not have time to react.

Guest TampaToon

SeattleToon - way too subjective.  I can see refs getting stabbed in less civilized countries for making a decision some fans feel is too lenient\harsh.  The saving grace for refs now is that it's clear-cut - man goes down, and the whistle blows, it's a penalty

Guest SeattleToon

TampaToon....I disagree completely....deciding whether to give a PK or free kick is no more subjective than whether or not to give a PK or nothing.

If you think it's clear-cut now you haven't been watching much football....every match there are at least one or two controversial decisions about whether or not to give a PK.

And what? Just have indirect free kicks?

Radical eh?  but yes indirect free kicks, with the offending player receiving a yellow card.

Also had radical thoughts on how to punish teams that have loads of yellow cards, and might make refs think twice about booking players for innocuous challenges.

If a player gets a yellow card he has to leave the pitch, say 20 minutes from the end of the match,  i.e he is withdrawn after 70 minutes and takes no further part in the match.  He cannot be replaced by a sub.  Any player getting booked after 70 has to leave the pitch immediately.  Would have made the Liverpool v Chelsea game interesting as 9 players were booked in that game!

Was hoping for something more radical. How about: no pens, but the team that has been disadavantaged by the foul gets a throw-in directly parallel the 18-yard box. It is to be taken in the normal way, BUT no one is allowed to touch the ball other than the opposing keeper who has to stand on the the opposite side of the pitch from where the throw-in's taken. The goalkeeper gets a head start based on the scores of 3 pitchside judges who've cast their votes on the severity of the original offence.

madness!!

Guest Julio Geordio

And what? Just have indirect free kicks?

Radical eh?  but yes indirect free kicks, with the offending player receiving a yellow card.

Also had radical thoughts on how to punish teams that have loads of yellow cards, and might make refs think twice about booking players for innocuous challenges.

If a player gets a yellow card he has to leave the pitch, say 20 minutes from the end of the match,  i.e he is withdrawn after 70 minutes and takes no further part in the match.  He cannot be replaced by a sub.  Any player getting booked after 70 has to leave the pitch immediately.  Would have made the Liverpool v Chelsea game interesting as 9 players were booked in that game!

Put the keyboard down and walk away.

:laugh:

Have games be refereed by a swat team of highly-trained robots who can detect physical contact from anywhere on the pitch. When a player dives, the referee transforms into a futuristic, yet completely and utterly over-the-top CGI tank and unleashes a lethal nuclear missile salvo in his direction. If the player somehow survives the attack, a random car chase ensues, followed by a massively confusing battle between the player and all of the robots that seemingly has little or no relevance to the plot-- I mean MATCH; little or no relevence to the MATCH.

Yes. I think I'll submit this to the FA. It's probably a shit idea like, but millions of people will pay to watch it based on the CGI alone anyway, so I don't care.

That's what it looks like... But it's really a lethal robot that transforms into a MiG fighter jet via a plethora of utterly unnecessary animations that add little or nothing to the viewing experience whatsoever.

Okay, I'll stop now.