Have we actually got the wrong strikers for the 433?

Parky

Still, nah for me. :lol:

I see Smith as a solid, hardworking player who'll consistently give you a decent/good contribution and can be called upon to play in midfield or up front as part of a two, but with everyone fit I don't see him as being a very good player in any particular position, rather a good player in a lot of different positions.

Not someone you can build an attack around.

He's not actually a particularly good footballer though. We should have spent the money better.

Name me one one Newcastle transfer in the last 10 years that couldn't be said about?

I see Smith as a solid, hardworking player who'll consistently give you a decent/good contribution and can be called upon to play in midfield or up front as part of a two, but with everyone fit I don't see him as being a very good player in any particular position, rather a good player in a lot of different positions.

He's not actually a particularly good footballer though. We should have spent the money better.

Name me one one Newcastle transfer in the last 10 years that couldn't be said about?

Rozenhal.

My point is that we did not need a player in the position Smith plays, or with his limited ability.

Rozenhal.

My point is that we did not need a player in the position Smith plays, or with his limited ability.

I'll give you he's looking good but yet to be proven really.

Get your point NM but there are a couple of things about smudger.

First and foremost SA is building a squad, something NUFC hasn't had in a long time.

Second, the mentality Smith brings to the club is something that hasn't had since KK.

Lastly the club has been blighted by players over recent seasons who are very one dimensional in their playing positions and their mentality about that - Dyer on the right for example. Smith although a utility player not only gives the manager options but also is an example to others.

I'm still out on smudger, I have never been a big fan but there is just something about him that has success about it.

Rozenhal.

First and foremost SA is building a squad, something NUFC hasn't had in a long time.

Second, the mentality Smith brings to the club is something that hasn't had since KK.

Lastly the club has been blighted by players over recent seasons who are very one dimensional in their playing positions and their mentality about that - Dyer on the right for example. Smith although a utility player not only gives the manager options but also is an example to others.

I'm still out on smudger, I have never been a big fan but there is just something about him that has success about it.

his attitude and work ethic aren't in question, but ability wise he offers no more than Dyer - the diseased little skank offered pace but no real ability, Smith offers graft but no real ability.

And talk of Allardyce building a squad is ill-judged - again we have a manager who is over-populating some positions, whilst ignoring far more pressing needs.

his attitude and work ethic aren't in question, but ability wise he offers no more than Dyer - the diseased little skank offered pace but no real ability, Smith offers graft but no real ability.

And talk of Allardyce building a squad is ill-judged - again we have a manager who is over-populating some positions, whilst ignoring far more pressing needs.

Whoo there monkey boy!

I think the last thing you can accuse Allardyce of doing is ignoring far more pressing needs.

He's the first manager that has actually tried to strengthen the defence in a long time.

Just like you I have no clue at this point whether he will be a success but the poor cunt has only been in the job for what three months, let's give him a chance to prove you were right and he's nothing but a long ball, kill the game off expert.

With all your cynicism you know how sh!te the club must be internally at the moment and in turn how unattractive it must be to ambitious players but slating the manager because he's tried to sweep out some of the rot and replace it with a bit of heart is a joke.

It's not like we're an attractive option to ambitious players at the moment is it?

Whoo there monkey boy!

I think the last thing you can accuse Allardyce of doing is ignoring far more pressing needs.

He's the first manager that has actually tried to strengthen the defence in a long time.

Just like you I have no clue at this point whether he will be a success but the poor cunt has only been in the job for what three months, let's give him a chance to prove you were right and he's nothing but a long ball, kill the game off expert.

With all your cynicism you know how sh!te the club must be internally at the moment and in turn how unattractive it must be to ambitious players but slating the manager because he's tried to sweep out some of the rot and replace it with a bit of heart is a joke.

It's not like we're an attractive option to ambitious players at the moment is it?

The simple fact that he has not got a RB, and seems happy with Carr, is starting to annoy me.

I've nothing against Allardyce per se - i don't particularly think he's a great manager, but he's a step up. I'm not saying he's doing a bad job, etc, but he needs to do a number things: some he has done (we know he's got rid of some dead wood), and some he hasn't. If he does more by the time the window closes, he'll be on the right track.

He's on the right track anyway. Also it seems fairly clear that we are/were trying to sign Beletti, which would indicate that he's not too happy with Carr.

Again, we THINK we were chasing certain players, and to be fair we don't need to be told the full story.

I'm not saying he's doing badly (although i don't think all of his signings have been proven to be right yet, time will tell), but it makes me laugh when i see the "he's brought excellent players in" bollocks. I hope he's done the right thing, we'll have ot wait and see.

But unless we get a competent RB, we're in trouble.

To be fair NM, you can be a bit of a hypocrite at times. You talk a lot of sense at times too but you have a pop at people as being totally unrealistic for wanting player x, y or z, then you demand we sign a RB (and any RB) just to replace Carr. It's not that easy to attract quality players here, as you well know, and if the right-back we sign is just marginally better than what we have then it's a waste of time imo.

To be fair NM, you can be a bit of a hypocrite at times. You talk a lot of sense at times too but you have a pop at people as being totally unrealistic for wanting player x, y or z, then you demand we sign a RB (and any RB) just to replace Carr. It's not that easy to attract quality players here, as you well know, and if the right-back we sign is just marginally better than what we have then it's a waste of time imo.

Yes, yes i can. Can't we all, as football fans?

As for Carr, an AVERAGE right back would be far better. If you are saying that is a difficult task for a competent manager to find, and buy, a better right back than Stephen Carr, you are either as mad as a particularly crazed scotsman, or Stephen Carrs mam.

Smith showed some nice little touches in his link up play with Owen last night I thought.

He did, my only concern is that as either a secondary striker, or an attacking midfielder he needs to be scoring a few goals. At the moment he's not even getting on the end of any chances, but it's early days yet.

As for Carr, an AVERAGE right back would be far better. If you are saying that is a difficult task for a competent manager to find, and buy, a better right back than Stephen Carr, you are either as mad as a particularly crazed scotsman, or Stephen Carrs mam.

I see buying an AVERAGE right-back as a pointless waste of money though.

i don't. We're an average club, so average players should be our minimum. We currenly have a shite right back. That, simply put, cannot continue.

i don't. We're an average club, so average players should be our minimum. We currenly have a s**** right back. That, simply put, cannot continue.

Weren't you whining in another thread about Geremi playing in the middle? If you are happy with an average RB, what was your problem with Geremi assuming you don't think he's utter shit?

i don't. We're an average club, so average players should be our minimum. We currenly have a s**** right back. That, simply put, cannot continue.

Weren't you whining in another thread about Geremi playing in the middle? If you are happy with an average RB, what was your problem with Geremi assuming you don't think he's utter shit?

i thought he was utter shit on Saturday. I don't think he is actually a shit player, Geremi, he has yet to prove either way whether he is good enough or not.

So based on one bad

Weren't you whining in another thread about Geremi playing in the middle? If you are happy with an average RB, what was your problem with Geremi assuming you don't think he's utter s***?

i thought he was utter s*** on Saturday. I don't think he is actually a s*** player, Geremi, he has yet to prove either way whether he is good enough or not.

Yet based on one performance which wasn't to your liking,  you shouted he should never start in midfield again. If you haven't made your mind up yet, then why make such daft comments?

So based on one bad

Weren't you whining in another thread about Geremi playing in the middle? If you are happy with an average RB, what was your problem with Geremi assuming you don't think he's utter s***?

i thought he was utter s*** on Saturday. I don't think he is actually a s*** player, Geremi, he has yet to prove either way whether he is good enough or not.

Yet based on one performance which wasn't to your liking,  you shouted he should never start in midfield again. If you haven't made your mind up yet, then why make such daft comments?

no i didn't say that. But carry on.

Actually what if the grand plan is Geremi at RB and we are just suffering fatty because he is second choice as RB but our first choice is currently filling in in the midfield although he's actually second choice as RCM in a 4-3-3 - confused?

TBQFH, I think the whole Nobby thing is causing SA more grief than we could imagine.

Guest Knightrider

i don't. We're an average club, so average players should be our minimum. We currenly have a shite right back. That, simply put, cannot continue.

So you should be happy we've signed an average player in Smith then...

This is the hypocrite in you that Alex is spot on with.

Not that I can talk like :D

Guest Knightrider

Smith showed some nice little touches in his link up play with Owen last night I thought.

Agreed, despite the awful service, the pair still manufactured at least three very good chances between them and all of those came through Owen's movement/positioning and Smith's battling/unselfish play. Together they could have been a very potent strikeforce when they were both in their pomp and at full fitness/form. Whether they can be today for both club and country, to a satisfactory level, remains to be seen. In the Premiership I think the pair have enough about them to trouble most defences so who knows.

Rozenhal.

black talking sense. think smith is what we need right now and would people stop complaining about the price ffs, richardson went for 5mil..

Guest Knightrider

Reading through the post match Boro thread hasn't filled me with any confidence that we have the right forwards for a front three.

Not how they line up no, although experimenting may improve things slightly, for example replace Viduka with Owen and play Smith right of him and N'Zogbia left, or play Viduka up front with Milner and N'Zogbia wide of him which would be my personal choice. Ideally, we need a new front three if we are to persist with 4-3-3, but all in good time.