Middlesbrough 2 - 2 Newcastle - 26/08/07 - Post match reaction from page 18

Dave

Guest Geordiesned

To be fair, racism isn't just skin colour. Using someones nationality in a derogitary way is racist. "you're just a fat Aussie Bastard" is also racism IMO.

That's fact though surely. (although we can now remove the "bastard" off the end) ;)

Guest Knightrider

We need

A mobile striker - to stretch teams, someone who can also hold up the ball.

Barton back - who will give us drive forward from midfield.

Emre in - or to buy a playmaker to oil that midfield if you will.

Enrique to come in - so N'Zogbia can play further up, a ball carrier which we lack.

Ideally.

To be fair, racism isn't just skin colour. Using someones nationality in a derogitary way is racist. "you're just a fat Aussie Bastard" is also racism IMO.

Bit different league to "He's a terrorist and going to explode" though isnt it :lol:

Can't believe people are knocking Milner's performance today. Unbelievable.

I didn't think it worked out for him today but I can't believe you are shocked about people knocking James "Scapegoat" Milner.

Nationality is different to race.

You can say both are bigotry, but they are not the same thing.

I suppose a wide forward is still a forward?

I understand what you are trying to say. But Milner and Martins are forwards in this game, the front line of attack, just like Djiouf and and Davies for Allardyce's Bolton.

I wasn't trying to have a go at you about it, I've used 4-3-3 to describe our formation myself, the point I was trying to make is that the formation we play isn't positive in the way it sounds, in reality we play with less up front, it's like saying we play with 4-2-4 when we use two forwards and 2 wingers.

I didn't think it worked out for him today but I can't believe you are shocked about people knocking James "Scapegoat" Milner.

I'm just not sure what the lad has to do to endear himself to a number of fans who seems have written him off as a clogger with no skill despite all fucking evidence to contrary.

I think the right balance for 4-3-3 with the players we have in our squad would be:

----------------------------------Given------------------------

New Right Back---Cacapa-------Rozehnal-----Enrique

-----------------Geremi---------------Emre-------------------

-----------------------------Barton-----------------------------

--------Duff-----------------Viduka----------N'Zogbia-------

Obviously this means leaving Martins and Owen out of the team which will cause problems. It's up to Sam to find the right balance. Maybe train the players to play different formations and use them accordingly. 4-4-2 at home 4-3-3 (as above) away maybe. I think we have some good options though with everyone fit.

Other than Smith or Butt for Emre, I'd agree with that. Not convinced by Emre. Some will blame the managers etc for his poor showings so far, I prefer to blame the player.

Simply having someone in the middle of the park who can control and distribute a ball with skill and finesse can make a massive difference in some games, and whatever his weaknesses, Emre is strong in this area. Only place where he really needs to convince is in staying fit, because for the most part, hes been one of our better players when he has played for us, one of those "when he plays well, the team plays well" players. How many of his poor games in the past have coincided with the entire team playing poorly and often bypassing the central midfield? I would say practically most of them.

Unless were talking about an anchorman or similarly defensive slot, Emre is a better central midfielder than Butt, Smith, and probably Geremi, who himself may well be our best anchorman.

Guest Knightrider

I thought they were all shite today apart from Cacapa and N'Zogbia. Milner worked hard as ever and was industrious that way but he often made the wrong decision, tried too hard or simply over did things. However the service was shocking and he certainly shouldn't be singled out, nor should anyone really as the players get to grips with the new regime, something we ourselves as fans have to do.

I'm just not sure what the lad has to do to endear himself to a number of fans who seems have written him off as a clogger with no skill despite all fucking evidence to contrary.

But he can't cross, beat a man, runs slower than my name etc etc.......

To be honest, I thought Zoggy was poor in his defensive roll. Great to see him looking the bizz going forwards again though :D

Did a lot better than the three defenders we used on the other flank :). But yeah, we really should move him up to midfield, we need balance up there, and creativity, Milner isn't Messi.

Guest Knightrider

To be honest, I thought Zoggy was poor in his defensive roll. Great to see him looking the bizz going forwards again though :D

He had a very shaky opening to the game but got stronger as it wore on and put in some good tackles/broke up play. Going forward though he was very good at times, if not a little hesitant which is perhaps a condition of his new role. He needs to play higher up in his best position because we lack ball carries and ball carriers can win you games or get you a goal, as Zoggy did today just by doing that - running at people with the ball at feet.

Guest toonlass

I will never go in the home end again at the boro. I was scarred to open my mouth, however I got out alive  :celb: I nearly jumped up when Viduka scored but then I remembered where I was and sat down again,  :giggle:

Guest Knightrider

Would be interesting to see the reaction if N'Zogbia hadn't scored that goal.

Outside of his goal, he got forward well and defended well at times, while making a few mistakes and looking a little lost at times, the kind of things you'd expect of a left-winger playing at left-back. His goal has obviously boosted his ratings if you like though. But these things matter.

He had a very shaky opening to the game but got stronger as it wore on and put in some good tackles/broke up play. Going forward though he was very good at times, if not a little hesitant which is perhaps a condition of his new role. He needs to play higher up in his best position because we lack ball carries and ball carriers can win you games or get you a goal, as Zoggy did today just by doing that - running at people with the ball at feet.

Aye, was great to see him skinning Young a few times down the wing, rolling back the (two) years to his top form. Fingers crossed he can form a top partnership with Enrique down the flank.

I thought he lost possesion quite a few times which put us under pressure, fair enough he is a winger but he needs to know when to pass and when to try and take someone on. He tries to do too much and at the moment he gets caught out more often than he gets through. He can be exciting but he can also be very frustrating.

I hope none of our fans complain to the police, stewards or FA regarding Mido. We fans have got to be willing to take the verbals if we give it.

If anyone's likely to complain it'll be Mido tbh. I was sat just a few seats away from an Asian lad who didn't know what do to with himself when the terrorist chants were aimed at Mido. The chants, after all, were purely down to the colour of his skin. Unless of course I've somehow missed the story about Mido being investigated by the police for making homemade roadside incenduary devices?

To be fair, i would say it's down to where he's from rather than the colour of his skin.  He's not just a Brit with middle eastern appearance, he is from a country known to be a terrorist hotspot, a country which the home office warn you about visiting.  It's a stereotype, like many, based on a little truth - stereotypes are rife and not frowned upon usually.  I dont like it when people get called terrorists just for their skin colour or anything either, i'm just pointing out he actually an egyption, it's not just down to his skin.

I'm totally against racism, but i did not think that was bad - not that i was singing it.  There were a fair few singing that, but 'Mido is a paedo' was much louder.  I actually thought that was quite funny, and he must realise it was just because it rhymes.

I hate the 'packet of sweets...whoever is an Fing paedophile songs' etc., but i thought 'mido is a paedo' was much more light hearted and really didnt even expect him to be bothered by it.  It happened alot more because of his reaction too.

I hope none of our fans complain to the police, stewards or FA regarding Mido. We fans have got to be willing to take the verbals if we give it.

If anyone's likely to complain it'll be Mido tbh. I was sat just a few seats away from an Asian lad who didn't know what do to with himself when the terrorist chants were aimed at Mido. The chants, after all, were purely down to the colour of his skin. Unless of course I've somehow missed the story about Mido being investigated by the police for making homemade roadside incenduary devices?

To be fair, i would say it's down to where he's from rather than the colour of his skin.  He's not just a Brit with middle eastern appearance, he is from a country known to be a terrorist hotspot, a country which the home office warn you about visiting.

I'm totally against racism, but i did not think that was bad - not that i was singing it.  There were a fair few singing that, but 'Mido is a paedo' was much louder.  I actually thought that was quite funny, and he must realise it was just because it rhymes.

I hate the 'packet of sweets...whoever is an Fing paedophile songs' etc., but i thought 'mido is a paedo' was much more light hearted and really didnt even expect him to be bothered by it.  It happened alot more because of his reaction too.

Erm, the 'hotspot' you describe has been through more bombings FROM terrorists than exporting terrorists, and they're not one of the hotspots Bush and Blair have had in mind when it comes to terrorism. So yes, the chants were ignorant, and yes, they WERE that bad, regardless if he was from Iraq, Iran or Guantanamo Bay (well, now that might be a bit more interesting).

To be fair, i would say it's down to where he's from rather than the colour of his skin.  He's not just a Brit with middle eastern appearance, he is from a country known to be a terrorist hotspot, a country which the home office warn you about visiting.

Erm, the 'hotspot' you describe has been through more bombings FROM terrorists than exporting terrorists, and they're not one of the hotspots Bush and Blair have had in mind when it comes to terrorism. So yes, the chants were ignorant, and yes, they WERE that bad, regardless if he was from Iraq, Iran or Guantanamo Bay (well, now that might be a bit more interesting).

I don't think they were racist though.  And they weren't really that ignorant, egypt has had a terrorism problem recently.  Of course that doesn't make mido a terrorist by any means, but he is from a terrorism hotspot.

The stereotype has grounds, and it's not racial.  I wouldnt say it's really any worse than the sheep 'cuddler' thing directed at the welsh.

I didnt join in with it, but i dont think it's anything to get upset about.

I think the paedophile chants are worse, and i'd have been strongly against the mido ones if it wasnt for the rhyming.