Newcastle 2 - 0 Barnsley - 29/08/07 - Post match reaction from page 6

JH

Guest Knightrider

Just an observation after seeing the highlights from last night's game: Owen doesn't seem to have that much power in his legs atm. The acceleration was there sometimes and not at other times but he doesn't have the power to strike a ball like he used to. This is most probably down to lack of fitness, timing and sharpness. I reckon if Owen was fit, the chance he had in the first half would have been in towards the bottom corner. When you're able to fully control how you strike the ball, you can still generate power and keep it low. On that particular occasion, Owen went for power and because he still doesn't have the strength in his legs, he couldn't keep it low. This is also noticeable in his goal. Maybe it's a bit of over-reading but in a few weeks the ball would be almost lofted over the keeper in into the goal (if Owen shoots with the same body rotation and angle). Last night, probably down to this being his first start for us in ages, tiredness would have affected his concentration and how he usually strikes the ball. Anyhow, like I said, it was one thing that came to my mind when Owen was involved.

His finishing has never been about power. While a Liverpool player there were many moans that he would sometimes back-pass his shots when one on one so tame they were. He goes for precision. Not knocking his finishing btw, which is world-class and all the more remarkable given he lacks power in his shooting. I don't think a lack of sharpness is effecting his shooting either, I think he's too anxious to score having been out so long so thinks more about what he's doing hence a less cleaner strike than usual, as he's snatching at it or rushing it eager to score.

The referee was hopeless. Missed umpteen handballs by both sides, regularly gave the wrong team the throw-in and gave corners for goal kicks. He let play continue when the ball virtually hit the advertising hoarding, and when we kicked the ball out of play for an injured Barnsley player, it took him five minutes to work out what came next.

His best moment came when Smith blatantly pushed someone in the back, with no attempt to disguise it. The player fell to the ground, and the ball went out of play. Half expecting Smith to get booked, imagine my surprise when we were awarded the throw-in! :lol: