"Shepherd was not a good chairman" - Sibierski

JH

Explain Arsenal, then.

the next Arsene Wenger was down the pub tonight. I'm sure it was him, if it wasn't, I'm sure another one will turn up tomorrow  mackems.gif

Maybe you should come and meet him, and see if he fits your magic criteria for appointing winning managers who don't need to spend money to be successful.

Where did you say Arsenal will finish this season again  mackems.gif

I don't know. Where did I say they'd end up this season?

Well, according to you, you are just implying that they will finish higher than manu, Liverpool and Chelsea for spending less money and showing everyone you don't need the best players.

Even by your standards of miscomprehension, that's utter nonsense.

Buy good players, yes. Spend money if required to get the best players, yes.

Lets see if they are prepared to really go for it if we get into a challenging position, and break a transfer record or two

That's what you said. What exactly do you have in mind? And what does it have to do with anything?

Liverpool have bought Torres. ManU have bought Tevez and Nani and Rooney. Chelsea have bought Drogba, Ballack. Do you think it is possible to compete with this if you don't match and better them ?

These clubs are showing you how it is done.

None of those were particularly 'record' transfers.

Don't know what you mean by that, of course they were

Explain? 'Record transfer' means the highest fee does it not?

I mean that these clubs are keeping pace with each other, buying the top players, beating their own records, to reach top spots and win the trophies. They know that if they don't do this, they won't reach top spot or win the trophies !!

I'll quote you again:

Lets see if they are prepared to really go for it if we get into a challenging position, and break a transfer record or two, or set a new one or two for ourselves.

To break a British transfer record we'd have to spend more than £30m (Shevchenko); a world transfer record £46m (Zidane).

I'm picking up your point about breaking a transfer record, as you went on to mention our own after that.

So I ask again, what on earth does spending £30m+ on a player have to do with anything?

I didnt' say that we need to spend 30m quid, I'm saying we need to buy players of the calibre of Owen and Shearer if we are to have any chance at all.

No, you specifically made the point that you hope to see the new board 'break a transfer record or two' - as you mentioned it separately you must have alluded to the WORLD record transfer of Shearer - as though it is a prerequisite for a 'good' board.

For what it's worth only one of those players you mention is 'record' anything - Torres, who is Liverpool's biggest ever transfer and £4m more than Owen.

So, Arsenal prove you don't need "record transfers" to win things. And Shepherd has proved that "record transfers" don't stop you from ending up in the bottom half of the table more often than not.

Still supporting your idol Graeme's spending, and sales, then are you ?

mackems.gif

Lets see if they are prepared to really go for it if we get into a challenging position, and break a transfer record or two

That's what you said. What exactly do you have in mind? And what does it have to do with anything?

Liverpool have bought Torres. ManU have bought Tevez and Nani and Rooney. Chelsea have bought Drogba, Ballack. Do you think it is possible to compete with this if you don't match and better them ?

I mean that these clubs are keeping pace with each other, buying the top players, beating their own records, to reach top spots and win the trophies. They know that if they don't do this, they won't reach top spot or win the trophies !!

I'll quote you again:

Lets see if they are prepared to really go for it if we get into a challenging position, and break a transfer record or two, or set a new one or two for ourselves.

To break a British transfer record we'd have to spend more than £30m (Shevchenko); a world transfer record £46m (Zidane).

I'm picking up your point about breaking a transfer record, as you went on to mention our own after that.

So I ask again, what on earth does spending £30m+ on a player have to do with anything?

I didnt' say that we need to spend 30m quid, I'm saying we need to buy players of the calibre of Owen and Shearer if we are to have any chance at all.

No, you specifically made the point that you hope to see the new board 'break a transfer record or two' - as you mentioned it separately you must have alluded to the WORLD record transfer of Shearer - as though it is a prerequisite for a 'good' board.

For what it's worth only one of those players you mention is 'record' anything - Torres, who is Liverpool's biggest ever transfer and £4m more than Owen.

Deliberately misconstruing, and you know it Dave. Do you accept that to attain the heights that yourself and many others think is an automatic right, you have to spend the money and match the teams who are already at those levels ?

Not really worth replying to the other 2 though  ;D

Schevchenko was record-breakingly expensive, though – and of course has made all the difference to Chelsea's challenge for the top.

one season, for a manager who didn't want him, in fairness.

nah, the only chairman who interferes with the managers transfer dealings, according to the mackem WUM,  was Shepherd  mackems.gif

He could have bought that Stephen Spence though, cracking player, apparently  mackems.gif

Wasn't Ballack free? Some record.

mackems.gif

the NUFC expert hits the stand

You laughed that hard over Michael Ballack being free? It wasn't that funny.

wrong. You ARE that funny.

Schevchenko was record-breakingly expensive, though and of course has made all the difference to Chelsea's challenge for the top.

nah, the only chairman who interferes with the managers transfer dealings, according to the mackem WUM,  was Shepherd  mackems.gif

He could have bought that Stephen Spence though, cracking player, apparently  mackems.gif

yes, i forgot that only our former chairman was involved in transfers.  :lol:

Wasn't Ballack free? Some record.

mackems.gif

the NUFC expert hits the stand

You laughed that hard over Michael Ballack being free? It wasn't that funny.

wrong. You ARE that funny.

Riiiiiiight. You're still wrong though.

Schevchenko was record-breakingly expensive, though ? and of course has made all the difference to Chelsea's challenge for the top.

Still doesn't add up to proof that "record-breaking transfers" are any key to success, however much trophy signings may excite some sections of our support.

Schevchenko was record-breakingly expensive, though ? and of course has made all the difference to Chelsea's challenge for the top.

Still doesn't add up to proof that "record-breaking transfers" are any key to success, however much trophy signings may excite some sections of our support.

you won't find many successful clubs nowadaya that don't spend big.

I'll quote you again:

Deliberately misconstruing, and you know it Dave. Do you accept that to attain the heights that yourself and many others think is an automatic right, you have to spend the money and match the teams who are already at those levels ?

How on earth am I misconstruing? I've quoted you time and time again. You specifically said you hoped to see the club break a transfer record or two. Which records do you have in mind?

The bit in bold is an excellent example of deliberately misconstruing btw. Nice one.

You won't find many clubs that don't spend big. Full stop.

:lol: aye, you're right enough there, like.

Big difference between good big signings and bad ones, of course.

I'd love us to sign some real, real talent, superstar players and break records, to replace the likes of Smith, Viduka etc. But they have to be right for us. For every Shearer/Drogba there's a Luque/Veron.

:lol: aye, you're right enough there, like.

Big difference between good big signings and bad ones, of course.

I'd love us to sign some real, real talent, superstar players and break records, to replace the likes of Smith, Viduka etc. But they have to be right for us. For every Shearer/Drogba there's a Luque/Veron.

you're right there, and the mackem WUM still backs the big signings, and the sales in particular, made by his idol, Graeme.

I'd like him to tell us if he was at any of those games where that Stephen Spence showed what a talent he is too, especially the one in my sig that he agreed with, although I can't find his name among the big money players we have bought over the years, so he must be talking specifically about him when he insists that you can win the big trophies without spending big money.

I'll quote you again:

How on earth am I misconstruing? I've quoted you time and time again. You specifically said you hoped to see the club break a transfer record or two. Which records do you have in mind?

The bit in bold is an excellent example of deliberately misconstruing btw. Nice one.

Well, it would appear the majority of people think that qualifying for europe is a sign of huge failure, so what heights to you think we automatically aspire to ?

And, what calibre of player, and at what price, do you think a club needs to reach such heights ?

In everyones opionins then, what is actually a chairmens job?? In my opinion, the job of a chairmen is to run the clb as a business, protecting and developing the clubs future whilst supporting the playing side of the Club ensuring a good chance of achieving something, now its laughable that people can defend Shepard by using the "I backed all my managers" crap, correct me if i'm worng but we were £80m in debt under his stewardship, he constantly undermined SBR when it was imperative that he didn't, he failed to back SBR the summer before we were knocked out of the CL to Partizan Belgrade iirc, an idiotic thing to do, and he "spent money that wasnt there yet" accoring to Chris Mort, which i assume is the Northern Rock money which was spent on Luque et al. He his appointemnts have been laughable at time, but i wont lambast him too much on this point as i can imagine it was near impossible to appoint anyone, which itself seems a joke.  I just want to know what peoples justifications are for even attempt to defend him, i could go on and on about his inadequecies as a Cahirmen....anyone care to oblige